Battery drain on the device with this app

Submitted: Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 12:31
ThreadID: 138610 Views:4136 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HI all. I am running the exploreOz maps (offline) on a 1 year old Galaxy S2 Android tablet. I have been frustrated re the speed at which the battery time decreases when I am using this as a "moving map" as we travel. This includes time its plugged in to my 12 volt plug on the dash.
Other apps do not have the same drain. ?is this common to you all, and are there settings which I can use within the app to minimise this? Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 13:06

Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 13:06
Using an older iPad with Hema 4WD maps, I suffer the same problems, especially when logging the journey.

Reduce screen brightness, turn on aeroplane mode and use a 12v or USB charger that puts out >2A.

Otherwise I can't help you,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626416

Follow Up By: Docsa - Monday, Jul 01, 2019 at 19:48

Monday, Jul 01, 2019 at 19:48
Thanks Bob, that's helpful
FollowupID: 900299

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 14:17

Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 14:17
I have the same setup and the same issue.

When you say "I am running the exploreOz maps (offline) on a 1 year old Galaxy S2 Android tablet" are you running EOTraveller or using EO Topo maps in Ozi Explorer or a similar app?

I run EOTraveller and Ozi simultaneously, either split screen or swap between them in full screen mode. If I start the day with 100% in the battery and keep charging it slowly reduces, but I've never run out in a day's travel.

To reduce battery drain you could close all apps except your nav program and also make sure none are running in the background. Then do as BobY said in his Reply above.

If you're running EOTraveller you can leave the device in aeroplane mode. That will leave the GPS running but will switch off phone, Bluetooth and WiFi, thus reducing load on the battery. Traveller will cache your track locally. Next time you're in mobile service, turn off aeroplane mode and Traveller will upload the cached track (if you have tracking turned on in Traveller). I can't speak for other nav apps, but Ozi will store your track locally whether or not you're in aeroplane mode.

Also, make sure you use a Samsung charger or one that is properly compatible with Galaxy devices, and use the USB cable that came with the tablet, or another Galaxy cable. Many generic chargers and/or cables will provide only a low charge rate to Galaxy devices, even if the charger is labelled >2 amps. Your device may show that it is charging, but it will be a low rate. Usually the device will warn you about that when you plug it in.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626419

Follow Up By: Docsa - Monday, Jul 01, 2019 at 19:47

Monday, Jul 01, 2019 at 19:47
Thankyou Frank. I appreciate your help
FollowupID: 900298

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 14:26

Friday, Jun 28, 2019 at 14:26
The formula for moving map use of GPS in the app has not changed in quite a few versions of the app. Way back in earlier versions the default GPS timer was set to 2 seconds but we made the default 0.5 seconds in about V3.0 with an option in Settings to adjust the GPS Timers Active Poll Frequency - this will affect how often the app does a call to the GPS to gather position data. The effect in moving map is how often you want to see the arrow move on the map as you move. For smoothest display of moving arrow you want the fastest active poll.

The only other things you can change to try to reduce battery inside the app are the voice/visual prompts for guided navigation (these can be deactivated in Settings).

Ideas for reducing device battery draw outside of this app yet still retaining GPS functionality are to reduce screen brightness, and turn off Wifi - even if you're not using it, the device tries to search for Wifi repeatedly in the background when you're on mobile data or offline (that's why the planes like you use Flight Mode to stop the interference of the device searching for a network).

I should also mention FYI that when driving with moving map you don't use any data until it redraws a map tile - either because you have changed the zoom level, or moved a significant distance.

We always keep our device plugged into power. Suggest you check your cable too - some usb cables are low powered. David is very fussy about the quality cables we use for charging. In fact, I bet that's it - are you using the original usb charge cable? If you're using a cheap one from supercheap or somewhere it may not be able to supply sufficient charge via the 12v charger.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626420

Reply By: Siringo - Thursday, Jul 04, 2019 at 11:06

Thursday, Jul 04, 2019 at 11:06
My iPads suffer from drain as well, but it's from other apps as well, not just the Traveller app.

When you're not using the app, try turn off the GPS/Location Services feature as this is always running in the background.

When I stop for the night, I turn off my iPad and unplug it from the charger plugged into the cig lighter. Another thing to try is to wrap the tablet up at night to keep it warm, cold kills batteries at night.

As mentioned, get a 'reputable' charger that outputs more than 2.1 amps, less than that and you'll aklways have trouble.
AnswerID: 626523

Sponsored Links