Peake Telegraph Station Ruins SA Oodnadatta Track

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 09:35
ThreadID: 138661 Views:4478 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Morning All.
Here's our latest video, part 6 of our recent SA Outback Trip.
Looking at Warrina Ruins & The Peake Telegraph Station
Hope you enjoy
Cheers
Paul

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 13:21

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 13:21
Good video, Paul.

Adam Plate’s signs are suffering rapidly now. Any 4WD sign writers about, or some folk with an artistic bent, that could restore some of them to their informative best?

Would need to be Dulux!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626566

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 18:56

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 18:56
Thanks Bob,
Yeah it's a shame to see Adam's signs slowly fading. I've been travelling these areas since 2000 & his signs have always been a feature of these trips. It must have been a huge job he took on to put them all out there... It's sad he's gone now RIP Adam Plate
Cheers,
Paul
FollowupID: 900408

Reply By: duck - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 13:37

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 13:37
Thanks Bob
It’s been a few years now since I have been there, We camped their years ago & the kids still laugh about it now as in one night we had Donkeys run thru the camp, then we had a hell of a dust storm, & then we had one big wet thunder storms & just as we started back out on the track to leave a camel ran into us & we were stopped at the time
We spent hours walking all over & up to the mines etc., the track in looks a lot better now, Thanks again, brings back some great memory’s & there were no drones to capture the place back then.
AnswerID: 626567

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 14:22

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 14:22
Did the Oodnadatta Track in Nov, ‘15, after a 2 day trip(my first) across the Rig Road with Les PK Ranger & Gunther(RIP), and parted company at Oodna, after an Oodna Burger each at Pink Roadhouse.

Bypassed Peake, but stopped at Algebuckina, Strangways, beer at William Ck & camped night at Beresford. Next night east of Moomba, then long day home via Arrabury, Davenport Downs & Diamantina Lakes.

Now have to return, at some stage, to check The Peake out!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900403

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 13:41

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 13:41
Peake a must see if your interested in history or your looking for somewhere to stop , one of my favorite spots !
imagine how tough that would be to work & live there ....
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626568

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 15:11

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 15:11
Hi Paul

Another great video and thanks again for sharing.

Life must have been very hard out there and like any remote location, we always try to visit the cemetery's and they alone tell of the tragic events that happened in these out of the way places. And the incredible work of the builders to construct all those grand buildings from the local stone, it was a real credit to them and they have stood the test of time and still standing nearly 150 years later.

Not sure if you went to the old cemetery opposite the main ruins and on the side of a hill, but they were worth the walk.

We could see 3 graves there, and this grave of poor George Joseph Rolland died out there at Peake on the 14th July 1887 at the very young age of only 28.

For those that have not been out there, the detour is all worth the drive.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626571

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 19:02

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 19:02
Hi Stephen, Thanks
Yeah they must have been a tough lot, but didn't seem to live very long out there.
Our first visit out there was back in 2000, This was the first time we took the time to revisit although we have driven the Oodnadatta Track many times between.
Glad we did again - A detour well worth the drive.
Cheers
Paul
FollowupID: 900409

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 19:11

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 19:11
Hi again Paul

Yes the detour is well worth it but surprisingly many just drive straight past and I personally advise anyone that asks not to miss the drive there, and spend as much time there as you can, as there is so much to see.

Cheers and thanks again for sharing your great videos

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900410

Reply By: mechpete - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 17:52

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 17:52
I camped the night there last year passing by
supprising how big the outpost was .worth the drive in
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 626577

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 19:47

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 19:47
Paul
Another great video,l was there16yrs ago and the only way to find the entry gate was Adams pink sign. If you were not watching you would miss the turn off. l see now there is a big sign to let you know where the turn off is taking away some of the adventure of finding such places years back.Todays traveller now has it alot easier to find such places and learn about Australian history not only here but many other as well. When we went to Bourke and Wills most northern camp in the Gulf, my directions where x km from Normanton you will find two tyre tracks to the left off the road. Follow these and you find the tree. Today it's signed the same way as old Peake Ruins.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626581

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 20:20

Saturday, Jul 06, 2019 at 20:20
G'Day Murray
Thanks,
Adam's info opened that whole area up to us all.
I have to say when we first started travelling around Australia everywhere was an adventure. Years down the track I still love doing it, even covering old ground over & over again but the adventure doesn't seem as large these days.
Maybe it's because access is so much easier now. With 4wdrives & all the tech gear, GPS, Sat Phones.........
I headed of in 1982 in a Datsun 180B without a clue............ What was I thinking!
Have been to places that don't exist anymore & also have places yet to see......
That's the adventure...
And we keep doing it & will until we can't anymore. It's become who we are.
Cheers
Paul
FollowupID: 900412

Sponsored Links