Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series V8 for towing

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 20:57
ThreadID: 13872 Views:20130 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of purchasing a second hand Toyota Landcruiser V8 petrol automatic. I am wondering if any one has any experience with the Toyota V8 as a tow vehicle. I see a lot of Deisel Turbo vehicles around but the V8 petrol is fairly new. Hope some one has some experiences to share. Thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gary W (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:26

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:26
iansut,
The V8 is very expensive on fuel when towing. A friend thought he had a hole in the fuel tank because the guage was dropping so quickly.
Gary.
AnswerID: 63657

Reply By: Jimbo - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:48

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 21:48
Ian,

My mate Ray has a 4.5L six, auto, on gas and he tows a 17 foot ski boat. Does it on it's ear. The V8 would be better again but will drink juice like a Darwin Ditchdigger. If you can get one on gas it will be cheaper to run than a diesel and do the job better. Or consider fitting gas, it will still probably be cheaper than buying a TD.

Jim.
AnswerID: 63664

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 22:01

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 22:01
Forgot two important points.

My mate Terracan Tim also tows a big inboard V8 ski boat with his Terracan no worries, so depending on what you are going to tow you may need to re-assess your vehicle choice.. Not suggesting it will be super economical, but will be a lot more efficient than a Cruiser and will do the job if the load is not too big. If however the load is large, towing with an underpowered vehicle will overwork it and use heaps; not to mention the load you will put on the driveline.

Point two: if you are towing something really big and need a big powerful 4wd, consider the Nissan 4.8L six. I believe it is actually more powerful than the Cruiser and will certainly be a lot cheaper, and there are already plenty of them out there fitted with gas.

I may be biased but I reckon Toyota's are overpriced. The amount they spend on marketing has to come from somewhere - you. Greg Norman and John Laws don't come cheap and I don't value their opinion on motor vehicles, but obviously it works for Toyoto.

Jim.
FollowupID: 324859

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 22:58

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 22:58
Quite a bit has been said about fuel consumption in the V8. Just check the search facility. I doubt there'd be much difference in fuel economy between the 6 and 8. Considered Lexus? Mine's for sale for $45k Recent article in one of the mags would be worth a look. You get a whole lot more car for another $2000. The V8 motor isn't new. Its been around for a good six or more years.
AnswerID: 63681

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:47

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 08:47
As said the v8 auto is thirsty, and any built in 2004 cannot be put on gas my mate was told recently when thinking of buying one, he currently has a 80 series 4.5 and that is an excellent tow vehicle, and reasonable ecconomical if driven normally. The best of the lot would be the turbo deisel.
AnswerID: 63706

Reply By: Normg - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 12:57

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 12:57
Hi
I have a V8 100 series and tow a 21foot 6 inch Coromal van GVM about 2.2T and consumption is about 21 LPH and that is bot watching the fuel consumption EG sitting on the speed limit and not slowing too much for hills. I had a V6 Pajero and that gave me about 18 LPH. the V8 is about the same only marginally more consumption as the V6.I believe if the xtra litre or 2 cannot be justified then probrly can not afford t own a V8 cruiser. the v8 really does make it comfotable towing.
regards
Norm
AnswerID: 64833

Sponsored Links