Fraser Island - some tips

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 16:05
ThreadID: 138784 Views:4986 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Some of you may remember I asked for advice about Fraser. Thanks to those of you who replied. Well, we got there and really enjoyed it. Yes, much busier than 25 years ago. I couldn't believe the number of tourist buses running around the place - they seemed to be on tight time schedules (ie driving right up behind us on tracks) and seemed to think they had more rights over the rest of us (ie about 3 cars stopped to watch some dingoes until the bus drove through the middle of us and blocked everyone's view. Grrr.)
We didn't get to do all the things we planned so now planning a return visit. One of us got sick which prevented us doing the walks we planned.
Some tips:
Central Station was a great camp spot but really cold in July, although it was t-shirt weather on the beach.
Take the advice of national parks regarding dingoes. NP produce a really good booklet about what to do around the dingoes.
Too many people doing dumb things, mostly not supervising young kids.
If you have children under 16, camp in the fenced areas.
Pack your binoculars. We saw heaps of whales in July.
Avoid Lake Mackenzie after 10am when it gets busy.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 16:53

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 16:53
Good to read you enjoyed your visit there, but I disagree with the camping in a fenced area if have kids under 16 bit. Both my daughter's have been camping with us on the Eastern beach of Fraser since they were 6 months old (eldest is now 16), if you supervise your kids there is no reason to lock yourself away in a fenced area IMO, but you need to understand you are camping somewhere that has wild dogs roaming about the place.
AnswerID: 626852

Reply By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 17:11

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2019 at 17:11
My 12yo son wasn't keen on rolling out his swag with the dingos, so it was a bit cramped with 3 of us in the RTT. He wasn't keen on sleeping with the crocs on the cape either. Kids these days.

Put your leather footware somewhere safe, bloody dingo stole one of my blundstones. Found it the next day after a short search. I'm guessing there are some things even a hungry dingo can't stomach.
AnswerID: 626853

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 13:26

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 13:26
In the old days I used to camp just about anywhere.
At one spot south of Eli Creek a couple of stallions were fighting over who got the mares, and they would thunder past the tents at all hours at top speed biting each other, and woe betide if you were in the way.
But my fondest memory is one morning in about 1979, I started early from the old sand mining area and 4 brumbies paced the car up the beach 2 on either side at about 60Kmh.
I taught the kids to swim in Eli creek by just dumping them in one end of a wider part and catching them at the other end. That was before toilets and boardwalks.

I never was bothered by dingoes. We used to camp where the toilets are now and one day I was on top of the embankment and the chair arm broke sending me end over end into the water to much hilarity.
Great times originally with an FJ40 , then a VW type3, and then a Jackaroo.
AnswerID: 626863

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 16:35

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 16:35
Merilyn H,

Have to agree with you with regard to some of the tour bus drivers. Had an experience back in the mid 90’s when most of the inland tracks were two way. Had a tour bus force me off the track when he kept coming up a hill that I was driving down. When he passed me he stopped and said “great bush bashing there”, then continued on. I took note of the tour company name and made a complaint to the rangers, but do not know what the out come was.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626864

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 17:03

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 17:03
Many years ago we had a convoy of 4 vehicles coming down a decent hill on an inland track and were confronted with a bus coming up the opposite direction (us already pretty much at the bottom of the incline) , the bus expected our party of 4 vehicles to reverse back up the hill for him to continue going. We had nowhere to be and after a quick discussion on our uhf radios we parked our vehicles up and hopped out of them, then after several minutes stand off the bus decided he’d better back up if he was any hope of continuing on his journey...he only had to reverse about 30mtrs back and there was an area with more then enough room for us to get past him, amazing how arrogant some of the drivers over there can be. It was shear stupidity on his behalf to expect vehicles to reverse up a decent incline, let alone it being sand.
On another occasion I have previously sent a complaint email to Kingfisher Resort over one of thier bus drivers behaviour at Eli Creek, the way he drove through the middle of families laying in the water was rediculous and dangerous to those there well before his arrival, he looked to do it just to make a splash for the passengers onboard....all other buses were driving around the water instead before parking up. A mate confronted the driver about his actions, but you could tell he didn’t realise what he’d done was a danger to those in the water and it fell on deaf ears. I got a response from the resort quite quickly asking for the buses ID number, but I never gave them the number (which I had) as I didn’t want the person to lose thier job over doing something he didn’t realise was stupid to do...instead I suggested they tell all thier drivers not to drive through the middle of families in the water there, and drive around them instead, like the majority of other buses there on the day were doing.
FollowupID: 900827

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 21:20

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 21:20
If he was too stupid to realise that what he did was stupid, then IMO he's too stupid to hold that job. A driver with a bus licence is supposed to have a higher level of knowledge and skill than your average car driver. For heavens sake do people, especially professional drivers, really need to be individually told not to drive through family groups splashing about in a well known tourist attraction? He should have known what he was doing. IMO you were too kind.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900839

Reply By: Genny - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 19:09

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 19:09
Off to Central Station in September. Thanks for your tips.

I've just watched a short video of the place, and looks like too many trees to catch much sun with the solar panel!
AnswerID: 626866

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 22:13

Thursday, Jul 25, 2019 at 22:13
Spent a few days walking Fraser Island Great Walk in May. Zero sunshine apart from at the Lakes. Totally under tree canopies, great for the fair skinned, red haired freckled people of the world !
I had no idea how addicted to direct sunlight I was, I was pleased to get to the coast and direct sunshine at the end

Mark
FollowupID: 900831

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:16

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 10:16
Don't expect your Solar Panels to work at Central Station, too shady. Last time we were there, had to run the car for an hour in the morning & afternoon while connected to the camper just to keep the camper batteries topped up.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900832

Follow Up By: rumpig - Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 13:06

Friday, Jul 26, 2019 at 13:06
The old Central Station camp area used to be a nice sunny grassed area, was only suitable to tents due to it’s access to the area and a spot we regularly used to camp at many many moons ago...we took one look at where they moved the new site to way back when, and we have never camped there since.
FollowupID: 900836

Follow Up By: Merilyn H - Sunday, Jul 28, 2019 at 08:32

Sunday, Jul 28, 2019 at 08:32
Hi Genny
Central Station was a good camp spot, in fact anywhere else it would have been awesome, but as a southerner, I was really desperate to get a bit of warm sun!
We had no problems with power. Our fridge is in our car, and as we were out driving every day, we had no problems keeping the fridge power supply charged up. As for the camper itself, we only run LED lights so had no trouble with power shortages there.
If we stayed at Central again, we would go into the Satinay campground. Kauri is the first one you drive into and I think tends to be a bit more popular, but not a huge difference between the two. The septic tanks for the loos are on the Kauri side, but not too bad in terms of odour.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 900844

Sponsored Links