Wave or dont wave but dont look away

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 12:32
ThreadID: 138852 Views:5628 Replies:20 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
It amazes me how many drivers choose to look away moments before passing oncoming trafic at highway speeds.

Just as they get to the usual distance a lot of us give the respectfull wave to oncoming traffic they seem to need to give their full attention to something in the console or the head unit, I assume to avoid waving back, the most critical time where your attention should be focused in controlling your vehicle coming within inches of tones of metal travelling in the opposite direction at high speed.

Either wave or dont, but keep bloody concentrating.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dusta - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 12:51

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 12:51
and i'm sure those people will also be on here reading your rant :)
AnswerID: 626936

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:10

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:10
I was reading it but looked away because I was distracted before finishing.

FollowupID: 900908

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 13:52

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 13:52
Err, shouldn't you be more concerned about the road ahead rather than looking at what someone coming the opposite way is apparently doing.

Have you ever thought people might be checking their mirrors or side roads to make sure everything is clear prior to 2 vehicles passing? I like to make sure no one is trying to overtake in potentially dangerous situations including when 2 cars are headed in opposite directions on a single lane highway. How could you tell if someone approaching at 200kmph is checking their mirror or head unit?

Isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black wrt concentration? They are probably practising good driving procedure while you're focussed on their response to a wave.

Am I missing something?

AnswerID: 626937

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:11

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:11
If you are that close you can see their makeup or lack of, and no wave too, if anything is not correct for safely passing at that instant it will make no difference to the accident about to happen.

Perhaps a sign on the front of your vehicle, "please wave" will assist the feeling while passing. Then again, if they are reading it and not concentrating on the pass manoeuvre, the danger will be increased but not realized by the then happy satisfied you.
The head unit on each pair of shoulders is what is important and how it performs.
AnswerID: 626938

Reply By: Dave B18 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:55

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 14:55
Hmm talk about inane posts!
Reason look away is to ensure my rig is stable and close enough to the edge of the road and away far enough from the white line.
You are supposed to be driving not watching passing motorists and what they do and don't do. You are probably an accident looking for a place to happen more interested in other people's actions than paying attention to driving.
AnswerID: 626939

Reply By: Genny - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 15:08

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 15:08
Most times I don't see the friendly wave. I am too busy checking clearance between vehicles, making sure there is no sudden deterioration in road surface ahead etc etc etc.

You know, all that safety stuff .....
AnswerID: 626940

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 15:57

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 15:57
Qldcamper : interesting reply comments to your post ... the way I read your post is to keep concentrating on your driving and not worry about anything else as you pass each other .
I think I might be a bit like you and i am also watching the driver as they approach to check that they are also watching as they approach .
It is amazing how some people have tunnel vision and can only look straight ahead and not be aware of anything else bar what is straight in front of their bonnet...
The wave his a dying habit as more and more City Slickers go out on their adventure or maybe it's because there are so many out there you could end up with RSI in the wrist waving to the thousands LOL ;)))
I am old school and simply give a wave to my fellow traveller just as to say g'day ! ...back in the day of old on your country road most people would give a courtesy wave just to say hello how are you going .

Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626941

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 19:22

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 19:22
Having just done a 2 week trip away in Central Qld, i got sick of waving back at the massive amount of travellers with vans or campers on the back that kept waving to me as they went the other way, and ended up not bothering to wave after a while...not a dying art by any means, far from it, the RSI argument is more like it. I appreciate they are just being friendly and acknowledging a fellow traveller, but it felt like the expected thing to do in the end.
FollowupID: 900917

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 18:29

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 18:29
For safety reasons we outsourced "The Wave" some time ago.

If you're lucky you might get a "tweet" as we pass you.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

(Actually, this is fake news...)

AnswerID: 626944

Follow Up By: Jarse - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 07:09

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 07:09
Looks more like Trump giving himself a 'Sieg Heil'...
FollowupID: 900922

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 18:41

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 18:41
Yeah...

I may glance at the passing vehicle, but I'm scanning all the time, rather than fixing my steely gaze on the approaching driver.

You're not coming at me with a jousting stick, so a glance is enough to see you're on your side of the road and got sufficient clearance, after that I'm interested in whats behind you.
The very definition of a passing interest.
AnswerID: 626945

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 19:36

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 19:36
I find obligatory waves insincere. Did you wave because you wanted to or because you were expected to? My waving is regulated by the amount of traffic, if I pass a person on a remote track then I want to give them a wave. If it's Pitt St on the Oodnadatta Track, Stuart Hwy or Eyre Hwy then forget it, I couldn't be bothered.
AnswerID: 626949

Reply By: David I1 - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 08:48

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 08:48
On my travels with caravan attached, I only madly wave if someone has the same make of van as me. If they also happen to have the same make of van and the same make of car then they get my "beserk" wave. Ie its good to see that besides myself there are also some smart people who just know they have bought the right sort of equipment! Otherwise I just ignore any sort of recognition!!
AnswerID: 626954

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 10:29

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 10:29
Why should I wave to somebody I don't know ? I live out west , I wave [ if you can call lifting the appropriate finger - pick one ] to people we know not to every Tom -Dick or Harry ......
AnswerID: 626956

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 11:40

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 11:40
I thought you lived in Queensland not out west?
It’s pretty common to wave on the west coast, especially on the roads that have little traffic
FollowupID: 900930

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 15:43

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 15:43
fisho64 ..Qld 'channel country' is west ...its those fools towing a mobile house on their yearly 4 weeks away from the 'big smoke' that think everyone needs to wave because 'they' are on holiday ...middle finger raised ... fools get the finger nail side .
FollowupID: 900939

Reply By: brianc - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 10:38

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 10:38
Wave or not, not bothered. But pick the time and place. On our recent trip through the top end of SA, a particular wave was a bit frightening. A rig plus twin axle van came towards us and we were meeting at the bottom of a small valley with (of course) a narrow bridge. We had something behind us, they had two not far behind them, we met on the bumpy bridge, again of course. Driver took one hand off the wheel to give us a hearty wave and looked straight at us for what I thought was too long given the circumstances!!
AnswerID: 626957

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 12:03

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 12:03
When being approached by any oncoming vehicle, I'm fixated on watching the other driver to see if they really are, concentrating on their driving! - or whether their concentration is fixed on a phone, a radio, or turning around to slap a misbehaving child!!

I have never forgotten the driver who ran head-on into us, when I was 13, and Dad was driving - he was fully turned around in his seat, and concentrating on a child in the rear seat!!

He pulled the steering wheel to the right as he did so, and swerved directly into our path!!

Only last month, an oncoming female driver swerved into my lane, on a major highway, over double white lines!!
As I passed her, she had her phone balanced on top of the steering wheel! - and 98% of her concentration was on that phone!!

"Distracted Drivers" is a huge problem in our society today, and it is one area that is currently being hammered by Police and Road Safety authorities.

I note that the annual road toll is up about 40-50% in both S.A. and VIC - thus showing there's a serious level of poor driving skills in abundance today.

S.A. Police operation "Fatal Distraction" - Aug 2019

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 626967

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 19:40

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 19:40
It only cost me $200 to put a pioneer stereo with bluetooth in my 26yr old patrol around 5yrs ago and I still can't believe how many people in modern cars have the phone to their ear. Bring on the $10,000 fines I reckon.
FollowupID: 900946

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 19:54

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 19:54
I think a social problem has been created with device useage that has no realistic behavioural solution. The dickheads, a large proportion of the population, are addicted and won't change their behaviour.

I'm beginning to think that every new car should have a jamming device in it so that the phone (voice and text), and if necessary, internet functions (fb, social media, email, etc) are not available while the car is in motion.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 900947

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 09:54

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 09:54
Frank , it would 'cost' less than a $1 per vehicle for new car manufactures to have in place a 'mobile phone jammer' that only allows the phone to be used while the vehicle is stationary , a 'retro' fit which would need to be made compulsory [at time of registration re-newal ] would only cost somewhere between $50 -$100 ...the technology already exists , only 'perceived' public 'rights' and gutless politicians allow the slaughter to continue .....
FollowupID: 900953

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 10:26

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 10:26
Frank I understand what your saying but to be fair you would also have to ban using uhf and other radios as well. Can't see that working a truckie with a wide load stop before a bridge call up then cross the bridge stop again say all clear then head off to the next spot.
FollowupID: 900954

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 22:38

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 22:38
I hear what you're saying, Batts, but I think there's a considedable difference in the distraction facter between a phone conversation and an exchange on UHF. I know I feel more engaged with the other person and distracted in a hands free phone conversation than I do on UHF. Phone conversations are generally longer, too, promoting longer distraction.

Just my take on it, trying to assess myself objectively.

Alloy c/t, agree.

Also, I have often wondered that with tbis increased emphasis on distracted driving, how is it that road authorities can allow visually attractive coloured electrical advertising screens on road bridges over highways, signs that catch your eye, and charge the advertiser a fee for the privelege, while at the same time prosecuting distracted drivers. I sense a degree of hypocracy.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900973

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 13:43

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 13:43
I use to give people a wave it was common when I got my first 4wd in the late 80's and into te 90's more square bodied upwright windscreened vehicles around then. You could easily see inside the vehicle as simple as lifting your index finger off the wheel a little got a response and a sense off respect towards a fellow traveller something some people wouldn't understand these days there was less traffic though in outback or country areas.

Lucky if you can see inside a vehicle now with dark as tinted windows and layed back windscreen phone in their hand blocking half their view of the real world that passes them by.
AnswerID: 626977

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 06:10

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 06:10
Well this is a different post, I can understand discussing waving and non waving but I can't understand telling us what to do.

Then again maybe someone died and made you BOSS.

AnswerID: 626994

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 13:33

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 13:33
So what it boils down to is the thread starter is telling people to please bloody concentrate when driving and you consider that he is bossy I thought it was very good advice.

OPPS hang on just got to get the phone while I'm sending this message on my lap top while juggling my coffee mug dam this steering wheel is in such an inconvenient spot AHHH friggen hell now what do those bloody cops behind me want they should be chasing real criminals I only have the potential to have a head on from crossing lanes give me a break.
FollowupID: 900963

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 16:09

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 16:09
Batt's, I wish him luck with that.

BTW. If you put it that way, waving is a distraction cause your look at the other driver and not where you are going.
FollowupID: 900967

Reply By: axle - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 11:28

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 11:28
Hmm!. . What about the traditional Landrover Wave?..LOL.

Really, a glance out of the right or left eye ,raise the middle finger with both hands on the wheel, if its someone you know, !......Naah that's to old school !

Cheers Axle.

AnswerID: 627002

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 13:11

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 13:11
Rover drivers always seem to be so happy when their behind the wheel
FollowupID: 900961

Follow Up By: BobR4 - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 13:41

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 13:41
Or even when they're behind the wheel!
FollowupID: 900964

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 17:16

Saturday, Aug 03, 2019 at 17:16
Haven't herd from the gramma nazi for a while you missed some others if you start at the very top of the thread I overlooked them didn't think it was a big deal to some happy spell cheeking enjoy your weekend.
FollowupID: 900968

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:30

Sunday, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:30
Maybe it's a bit of city Vs country folk
AnswerID: 627021

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 11:31

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 11:31
Blimey, there are some emotions in that lot!

We picked up on this thread as we were leaving Mt Dare to come down the Oodnadatta Track so tried to make some observations of the oncoming traffic.

Hard to make out some signals but the well-rigged 4WD's seemed to mostly raise one finger if any at all. The shiny posh cars with caravan were more likely to wave with the full hand lifted from the wheel.... maybe first-time out?
Roz wondered if the vehicle colour had any bearing so we started to survey between light and dark coloured cars. It did seem that the lighter colour was more likely to wave but we failed to be very precise as we could mot agree where the dividing line fell..... was a "mid-grey" lighter or darker?

Also wondered about the number of fingers raised. One finger seems to be appropriate for a laid-back casual signal with four fingers being somewhat more chummy. But raising just two fingers risks being misinterpreted.... hard to discern if you are viewing the front or back of the hand!!!

We tried to correlate custom rego plates with waving but nearly did a couple of side-swipes whilst peering at oncoming plates so dropped that idea.
Actually heard one bloke tell his mate on the UHF that he "didn't get a wave from that one". Perhaps they were also doing a survey too?

Did ponder if the Seinfeld crew may have looked into this waving behaviour. Certainly George would have had an interesting viewpoint. Maybe it is only an Aussie thing, although I bet the Kiwis do it too! We eventually got bored with the whole thing and ignored everyone.

Roz did however find this article on the Grey Nomads website which throws some more light on the subject.

Anyway guys, keep up your discerning and knowledgeable views on subjects such as this. Much better than the battery nonsense. I learn so much informed wisdom on this ExplorOz forum.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 627062

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 22:38

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 22:38
Lol Allan. I notice with some interest (admittedly not much) that you avoided doing vehicle make AND driver sex surveys. If you want to be taken seriously please stop beating around the bush and lift your game. Would be interesting to know if there is a statistically significant variation in numbers between men waving at other men V waving at women, and also if women drivers are more likely to wave (at anyone) than men. After you've done those surveys can you also move on to the age of drivers who don't wave, and the colour of the hair of non-wavers please. I suspect people in hats and "bald" people will be the worst offenders because "everyone knows" they're just weird - esp bald women wearing hats.
FollowupID: 901037

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 22:47

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 22:47
How can you tell if a woman is driving, are they the pink cars? Oops, did I write that out loud? It seems a lot more people study the drivers of other cars than I do that's for sure.
FollowupID: 901038

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 23:00

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 23:00
Seriously Michael? Three tell-tale signs: (1) If the driver appears to be (capable of) doing more than one thing at a time then odds are it's a female driver; (2) they don't have (as much) facial hair; (3) they aren't driving one-handed and picking their noses.
FollowupID: 901039

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2019 at 09:26

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2019 at 09:26
Lol Baz, I have learned to keep well away from gender differentiation in contentious matters. Like poor eyesight, wisdom comes with age.
All I will say is that Roz was driving much of the time and was still announcing 'wave acknowledgement' long after I had lost interest in the whole thing.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 901042

Reply By: Blown4by - Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 23:32

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 at 23:32
Getting back to the original question, I would say that 90% of those who look away just prior to passing realise that they have in effect safely passed the oncoming vehicle and they cannot wait to get back to the text they were sending or reading or Facebooking or reading e-mails or just surfing the net in general. Either that or they have an unhealthy interest in whatever is between their legs because often that is the direction in which they look.
AnswerID: 627075

Reply By: Zippo - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2019 at 20:25

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2019 at 20:25
Tried to ignore the hypocritical rant.

On the one hand you remind us all of the obvious: "the most critical time where your attention should be focused in controlling your vehicle"

Then you tell us the results of your informal survey, indicating YOUR focus at this "most critical time" is on the oncoming driver's face and hand(s). Give me a break!

TBH on unsealed roads my focus is on the road surface ahead AND on ensuring recycle is selected on the air vent, to avoid ingesting too much of the other vehicle's "rooster-tail".
AnswerID: 627088

Sponsored Links