Thermarest Trail Scout Self-Inflating Mat

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 16:14
ThreadID: 138854 Views:3727 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I just bought a Thermarest Trail Scout Self-Inflating Mat and I am not sure if I am doing something right.

I followed the instructions and unrolled the mat, let is self-inflate, I left it for over an hour, then I blew a deep breath into it. However, when blowing into the valve the air, when I run out of breath I can feel the air pushing back out the valve, and when I remove my mouth the air I just put in escapes entirely. I am able to put in a deep breath and close the valve which keeps the majority in, and the mat is comfortable enough when testing on the tiled floor.

So, I am wanting to know, is this correct or is it meant to be a one-way valve and I should return the product to be replaced?

Thanks anyone that can advise on this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 16:40

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 16:40
Hi I have 2 that I have had for over 10 years , they have a plastic screw knob that you blow through and then screw it up and it seals, the new ones may be different but same principle.

Usually we don't have to add any air , they tend to inflate a bit as they get warmer,
best thing we ever bought , store them flat with the valve open , not rolled , mine are still like brand new, never had a leak yet , but always have a heavy tarp under the tent floor, Cheers, Des.
AnswerID: 626942

Follow Up By: Nath47 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 16:43

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 16:43
Hey DesF

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Yeah this one has a plastic screw knob/valve. I just felt like more air was escaping back out the valve when I took my mouth away. I guess it is a matter of taking a deep breath, blowing into the valve and closing it off just before running out of breath.

I have since put as much air into it as possible, and have stored it as per the instructions to leave it inflated with the valve closed overnight, and then self-inflated with the valve open for normal storage.

Just need to get use to the part of blowing air into the valve. Am new to all of this, so.
FollowupID: 900911

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:12

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:12
Hello

Open the valve just enough to allow you to blow air in easily, start blowing and then when required pressure is reached, screw shut the valve while still blowing into it. No air will escape (or very little).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626943

Follow Up By: Nath47 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:20

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:20
Thanks for the tip.

I have been putting more air into it, as I am not sure if it is my imagination or not but it seems like it isn't retaining all the air. I feel I may be imagining this though haha and am just being picky. I will keep an eye on it and try what you mentioned with opening the valve only slightly.
FollowupID: 900912

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:32

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:32
No worries - One word of warning - don't leave them in the sun with valve shut - friend of mine's turned into a balloon.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900915

Follow Up By: Nath47 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:35

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 17:35
Thanks for the tip :)
FollowupID: 900916

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 19:44

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 19:44
I never blow into self inflating mats because they've all seemed to self inflate just fine. Just seal them once they're up. In my opinion they aren't supposed to be up like a balloon and are comfortable enough at their self inflated size. After all, they are self inflating, it's all in the name really.
AnswerID: 626950

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 21:35

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 21:35
Depends on foam density, temp and weight - I have used thin ones for hiking and they (for me) are better with a bit of air. Each to their own - no set rule.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 900920

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 21:36

Thursday, Aug 01, 2019 at 21:36
I've used the same Thermarest self inflating mattress for over 30 years.

This is how I set it up:
. Put small tarp (or use a tent) on the ground
. Open screw-valve of Thermarest and throw on tarp - brown side down
. After 30 minutes put three breaths into the mattress
. During the third breath close the valve
. Lie on my side on the mattress and open the valve slightly until my hip barely touches the ground
. Close valve for the night.

This way the Thermarest is not too hard, and not too soft.

Enjoy - this is a very good product.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626951

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 12:10

Friday, Aug 02, 2019 at 12:10
Hi Nath47,

They certainly do not have a one way valve, otherwise you would not be able to deflate them and roll them up. You are doing the correct thing topping up by blowing into it if it is not fully inflated, you just need to close the valve quickly. I find that by placing the mat on the vehicle bonnet in the sun usually gets it inflated enough after about 15 minutes. This can vary depending on the ambient temperature and the sun.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 626968

Sponsored Links