Adding Photos to Places

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 12:39
ThreadID: 138894 Views:4165 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Team

My biggest gripe with places is so many people add photos that are either shocking or completely non related to the place that they they are representing, and many times the images have not a thing to do with the places concerned and can be any place in the world.

Michelle or Leon, you need to give Places Administers the ability to remove such photos, as to me it is letting the quality of the place down badly.

These images are often like test pattern, or in the latest case that represents a Caravan Park, an extremely poor photo (the type that I call utter crap) of carpet on a caravan floor and some lounge.

If you want to keep your places “quality” there need to be better monitoring of such images.

I know there will be the usual people that will jump to the defence of such images any say, why not contact administration first.....

Well for those that say they, get your facts straight, as I can not tell you how many times I have alerted of such images, but it falls on deaf ears.

So come on, if you fall into this category, don’t waste your time, and ruin the place that the images is representing.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 13:49

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 13:49
G'day Stephen,
Yes, a good photo is nice to see and may inspire some to travel there, too much video or pics means no need to go and see. I haven't travelled anywhere near as much some others and am interested to see places. I made a comment a while back about "places" suddenly appearing and unless you click and investigate each time there is no clue as to where in Oz it actually is. Being in Victoria, if a "places" is initiated as a post, I would love to see, NW Kimberly or SE SA as a bit of a clue in the title, as to where the picture relates to. SA might be a soon likely visit for me but way up in NT probably won't happen immediately. It also give people a recollection of names and where they are on the map, for discussion on forums and around a campfire or future trip planning.
Cheers
AnswerID: 627109

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 15:00

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 15:00
Hi RMD

I have personally been inspired to visit many places, purely from the many great images that places show.

It is the poor and non related photos that do not do the place in database any justice.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901093

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 13:50

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 13:50
Stephen - Spot on! Life's too short to have to put up with crappy photos that don't show the viewer anything worthwhile, with regard to the item/location being described or pictured.

Bad photos are a "dime a dozen", they should be deleted without mercy.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627110

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 15:03

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 15:03
Hi Ron

For me, the EO Places data collection play a very big part of my personal trip planning, and I know that David and Michelle have put a lot of time into getting where it is today, and is a credit to them.

When you see a photo of some carpet and some lounge, how can people relate that the the place it is intended to represent.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901094

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 14:25

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 14:25
Interesting as i already deleted the image you commented about despite being out of office today.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627112

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 14:57

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 14:57
Hi Michelle

I looked at it last night, and it was still there when I posted the forum post.

If you could look into giving administrators more powers, it would save you a lot of time.

But you must agree, why would someone put a very poor photo of carpet and some lounge as a place.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901092

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 17:18

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 17:18
I have been equally annoyed for some time Stephen, however there are 2 issues to note:

1. most times people make technical errors, it is not usually intentional

2. about a month ago I asked David to write me a log system so I could see the incoming photo updates as emails in a dedicated inbox - I have always had Place update alerts with text changes and a separate log for New Places created, so adding the new Photo alert is the final piece in my alert system. I check every single Place change alert - and I check/action them almost daily. When we were away, I came back and went through all the unread logs and completed that yesterday - a lot were mine. The volume is not high and easily manageable.

A key part of our evolution of managing increased user generated live content to the server is that I have also configured my phone access to these alert inboxes so that I can work even when I'm not at my desk just from my phone - which is frequent.

What I do value most is people who understand the site and see a problem taken a moment to use the tools provided to alert us - this ensures the alerts go to the inboxes that we are tracking - so that a review/resolution is done in the fastest possible way. It would be very rare for anything major to be unlooked at for longer than 24 hours. So my advice to others who like Stephen wish to help this situation, just drop us a polite note using the Place alert button to request we look at a particular issue. You'll find this button at the bottom of every Place page - there is also one on every Forum post.

The thing to understand is nothing is permanent on our site - a simple button click and its gone/fixed/sorted. Move on. No drama.

In terms of other issues with Places that may have occurred in the past - I have also addressed this going forward. By reviewing the New Place update logs, I had discovered a disappointing trend where people were creating New Places but changing the default save setting from Private to Public but these Places were incomplete, at wrong position etc. At the same time as I had asked David to create the New Photo email log alert, I also asked for a way to switch a Public Place back to Private when I felt a Place was not complete, or had too much private information (eg. Places named "Home", or personal photos). In the past I was only able to Delete these Places and sadly this was causing a trickle down effect if the person had already used this Place as a navigational waypoint in a Private Trek - it would corrupt the file but they wouldn't know why). So this has all been resolved - and its just another one of the alerts I manage and action.

Again, I can check/action all my phone or desktop and I check/action almost daily.

Content consistency is of upmost concern to us as a digital publishers. We've been doing this for 19 years now and have a pretty good handle on it. We're happy with our processes and feel this issue with the odd photo upload needing deletion is easily manageable in-house with our current systems. However, we most certainly may have missed a few in the past because with a database over 90,000 Places there are always going to be errors but they are all easily fixable if the error is identified. One thing I'm aware of is how many Places (even yours Stephen) created using handheld GPS devices from a years ago are now appearing to be in the incorrect location (just slightly). This is due to the slightly inaccurate GPS systems that consumer devices have had for some time - and the improvement made in EOTopo maps to road alignments using better GPS road alignment tools. So some Places now are slightly out (less than 300m). David has a task on his to-do list to investigate a global re positioning of these legacy data issues found in some older Place records. Going forward the GPS accuracies in our consumer devices has been improving dramatically in past year and another improvement just the other day.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901095

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 17:34

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 17:34
Michelle, your website and its products are well done, and well supported, thank you for your obviously intensive efforts.

However, a website suggestion I would like to make (unrelated to photos and places), is that you appoint a few moderators who have the simple ability to delete spam posts, on the spot.

As websites are globally accessible, it seems the scammers in 3rd world locations on major time zone differences to Australia, seem to delight in posting particularly annoying spam posts, at a time when they know this websites owners and employees are asleep.

Having a few moderators spread around the globe, with the ability to delete spam, virtually the instant it appears, is the best way to rapidly discourage spammers, who get great satisfaction from seeing their posts still in place, hours, and even days later.

I'm a moderator on another totally unrelated forum, based in the U.S., and we had a lot of trouble with spammers a few years ago, until we took the step of appointing global moderators, one of whom is nearly always on the forum, to be able to delete spam almost instantly.

The spam problem has virtually disappeared since the spammers realise we are watching 24/7/365, and we won't tolerate their forum-ruining garbage for one second.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 901096

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 18:13

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 18:13
Hi Ron our moderators do have the delete option to action immediately and we have installed an auto system spamming delete function to detects spam before it is posted and stops it from appearing but some spam still gets through and our moderators dont check hourly. Would you like to be a moderator Ron?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901097

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 19:05

Thursday, Aug 08, 2019 at 19:05
Michelle, if you feel you could do with another moderator, I'd be happy to help out - but I am based in Perth, W.A., so perhaps I'd not be as useful as a moderator based elsewhere, such as on the East Coast, or in another country.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 901099

Sponsored Links