Caravan Electrical Compliance NSW

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 04:27
ThreadID: 138906 Views:9224 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to get my home built caravan registered for the first time in NSW and my sparky is unsure of what paperwork to use. It is the same form that you use for a house?
NSW electrical form
Or is there a special form for caravans?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 08:25

Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 08:25
Hi Keith,

It is a bit of a worry if your sparky is not familiar with the appropriate regulations.
The requirements are in AS/NZS 3001.
A copy of the Compliance Form is below....

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627147

Reply By: Keith B2 - Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 09:23

Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 09:23
Thanks Allan.
My bloke runs a big marine electrical outfit and his blokes work on all sorts of boats right up to superyachts. But he has not done a caravan before and is therefore wondering (like me) what paperwork to use.
Allan, where can I download this form?
Thanks again.
AnswerID: 627148

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:42

Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:42
Keith, The (sample) form appears in AS/NZS 3001 but you will not be able to access that unless you have a purchased online copy as I have.
But you should be able to 'right-click' on the image I posted above and print it from there. It is however marked as a "sample form" and NSW legislation may require the certification to be in a different form or manner. Take note of what Ron has said below.
I would expect your Sparky to be able to use his industry links to get the right answer. You could also ask your registration authority what documentation is required.


My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901119

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:29

Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:29
Allan, there are differing electrical licencing requirements from State to State - and as I understood it, caravans, boats, and motor vehicles always require different electrical licencing and forms (for mobile electrical installations), as compared to homes.

However, NSW appears to be a bit of a shambles as regards the bureaucracy surrounding licencing and forms, so it's no surprise the marine electrician is confused.

A NSW Govt business reforms advice notice, announced in Oct 2018 (and the media release is not even clearly dated, you have to go hunting for it), states that the NSW Govt is instituting a proposed new, "specialised LP gas and electrical repair work licence category, for repairs on caravans and other recreational vehicles".

Now, it appears Fair Trading NSW is the main NSW Govt division responsible for electrical installation regulation and advice.

However, I can only find the compliance form on the NSW Fair Trading site, for homes - there is no mention of any compliance form for caravans or boats, or any other mobile installation.

Accordingly, I'd suggest the best that Keith can do, is call Fair Trading and see what the current electrical compliance requirements and forms are, for caravans - as there's no indication that any of the proposed business reforms from Oct 2018 have actually made it into daily use, and the standard form for homes may still be the form used for caravans in NSW.

NSW Business Reforms explained (See Page 8)

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627150

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 11:14

Saturday, Aug 10, 2019 at 11:14
Yes Ron, thanks for that. As you may expect, I am not un-familiar with the variances in State electrical and bureaucratic requirements. My searching the internet was not much help either. But I should have thought that a "sparky" working in the NSW industry would be able to navigate it.

As you say, "it appears Fair Trading NSW is the main NSW Govt division responsible for electrical installation regulation and advice."
To me, that seems a surprising agency to manage these functions, but Governments work in mysterious ways. lol

I may guess that the NSW Roads and Maritime Services, as the registering authority, will require a conformance statement from a licensed electrician and that may be in the form illustrated in the AS 3001, but it may be more specific, who knows? Ask the registering agency.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901120

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Aug 11, 2019 at 23:03

Sunday, Aug 11, 2019 at 23:03
I've registered 3 new Tvan's in NSW over the last few years - I tow them from the factory using a Victorian road permit, get a blue slip in Albury from a mechanic and toddle down to a Service NSW office to get the plates/rego paperwork. Nobody has ever asked for gas or electrical compliance paperwork.

I realise yours is home built and so may be a bit different but are you sure you're going to need it?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627188

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:53

Monday, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:53
It appears from numerous other forum discussions, that NSW is particularly lax when it comes to checking electrical installation compliance in caravans - with many forumites stating they never had any request to view electrical compliance certificates (ECC), or electrical compliance signage, upon registration.

However, if you want to travel interstate, I can advise you that W.A., S.A., VIC, and Tas do have a requirement for an ECC, and signage inside the 'van, to denote that the 'van is electrically compliant to AS/NZS 3001:2008.

All caravans connected to power in caravan parks are obliged by law to have an ECC, and signage in the 'van, stating same.
Caravan park owners have the right to refuse to accommodate your 'van, if there is no electrical compliance signage visible.
However, caravan park operators appear to rarely enforce this rule, often due to inadequate staff numbers and a lack of training.

They do so at their risk, because any electrical fire in a 'van in a caravan park, will result in an investigation that will centre on electrical compliance - and if the park owner is found to have been allowing in 'vans that are not electrically compliant, their PL insurance policy will be void.

The kicker here is that a 'van only needs to comply with electrical laws that were in place, in the year when it was built. That gives some leeway for 'vans of considerable age, when electrical laws were less stringent.

However, as a W.A. owner of numerous 'vans, way back to the 1960's, I can recall all my W.A. built vans having an ECC form glued to the inside of the 'van, in a visible position, even in the early 1970's - and I can remember caravan park operators in W.A. wanting to see that signage, in the 1970's.

Here is a link to a old mid-1990's W.A. Energy Safety bulletin, detailing the electrical compliance requirements for caravans back then (on page 4).

Energy Safety - W.A. - 1995

In those days, the ECC signage in the W.A.-built 'van had to be affixed by a Western Power Electrical Inspector.
The regulations were then relaxed to allow licenced electricians, or electrical contractors, to install the compliance signage in 'vans.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 901154

Reply By: Dave B18 - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 12:02

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 12:02
To my knowledge in NSW you don't need anything.
Just take it along and register it.
I have built two caravans and nobody has ever asked for anything. In saying that I did ensure all electrical complied and my electrician signed off to that effect and had a current gas compliance certificate.
AnswerID: 627334

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (1)