airbags

Submitted: Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 19:31
ThreadID: 13897 Views:1842 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A very famous teacher once said 'there is no such thing as a stupid question - just stupid people asking them' (go on - which tv show was that???) Anyway - here is the question - When an airbag is deployed does it immobilise the vehicle? Sort of simple really but trying to get an answer from a service centre is a chalenge.

rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 20:11

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 20:11
Ahem...
I may be wrong, but I've always been given to understand that the impact has to be pretty severe for the airbag(s) to deploy, in which case I would think that the vehicle would be kind of "immobilised" anyway...
I have not "tested" this theory personally, and have no wish to any time soon...

Regards,
Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 63805

Reply By: rolande- Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 20:33

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 20:33
Mark,
Agree with above, it requires a certain amount of force for the airbag to deploy, and therefore the theory is that the result of the sudden stop would mean the vehicle is not driveable, however, there are several methods of deploying an airbag, particularly the type in the steering wheel, and in some of these if the vehicle is able to continue, you can drive it, so the answer, NO, and, YES.
Remember that also, after and accident, the law regarding a vehicle being driven on public roads changes also.
Rolande
AnswerID: 63807

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 21:08

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 21:08
Mark S
I believe the electrical system associated with the engine is isolated for a period of time something like 15 to 20 minutes. I had an unfortunate incident in the UK about five years ago. The impact deployed the airbags and the driver had to wait 20 minutes until he could start the vehicle again. The vehicle was still drivable obviously, cut the airbags away with a knife and off he went.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 63810

Reply By: Snatchem - Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 23:16

Friday, Jun 18, 2004 at 23:16
I may also have a stupid question, when you buy a second hand vehicle how would

you know if the airbags have been replaced (or what ever they do) if it has been

in an accident previous to you buying it ?

Snatchem
AnswerID: 63835

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 08:14

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 08:14
Ok , i will answer both questions , is the vehicle imoobilised if the air bags go off ?

If the air bags go off , its due to 3 sencors , one is in the seat belts , second is in the seat , the third in the front . If the air bags go off , they also trigger lock devices in the seat belts. This means the seat belts need to be replaced also .

The system dosnt shut down the engine as such , but the radiator going through the engine block can do it sometimes lol .

Now , the question about the air bags been replaiced . You usualy can see a diffrent colour in the airbag cover to the rest of the dash if its been changed , Due to the amount of some the dash gets to see . But this dosnt alsway meen the car was in a accident. The air bag could of been replaiced due to been faulty.

You can always pick a car thats been in a accident anyway . Seam sealer, Gaps , bolts ect. 9 times out of 10 , if the bags have gone off , the car is a write off . But there is our group of friends who like to buy these cars at fowles and slap them up for a quick buck . If you arnt sure what a stacked car looks like , you should get it checked by a panel beater anyway , even if your buying from a yard. Then you van have peie of mind.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 63864

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 14:45

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 14:45
Eric,
I have an ARB airbag compatible steel bar on front of the LC100.
I've always believed (never tried however ..touch wood) that if I hit a big 'roo at speed that it would be quite possible that the airbags could be deployed, even though the vehicle and occupants may escape any significant damage.
Is this so ?.....and if so does this mean that the seatbelts need replacing too ?
Thanks,
Brad.
FollowupID: 325038

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:37

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:37
if the air bags deploy , yes then seat belts lock in automaticly and are rendered useless , But it will take more than a roo to deploy the air bag .

The air bag compatible bar does not have sensors as such. All it has is collapsable arms that bolt to the chassis . These need to collaps first , then the impact has to travel to the chassis for the impact to be sufficiant to deploy the air bag , in saying this , the airbags do not deploy on one sensor , a number of things need to happen for it go go off. For one , the sensor in the seat needs to trigger sensing that impact of the accedent is throwing you off the seat ect ect ect ....

I hope this puts your mind at rest lol
FollowupID: 325057

Follow Up By: Brad - Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:51

Saturday, Jun 19, 2004 at 16:51
Thanks.
FollowupID: 325059

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:10

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:10
Morning all.
I believe what Eric is referring to is the seat belt "Pre-Tensioner", a small explosive charge in the seat belt stem which, when triggered, has the effect of tightening the seat belt to remove any slack just before impact. If the pre-tensioner fires the mechanism must be replaced. It does not "lock" the belt, just tightens it to reduce injury.
Some older vehicles with airbags don't have pre-tensioners. All newer ones do.
John.
AnswerID: 64158

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:15

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 08:15
By the way, a large 'roo could very easily trigger an airbag, especially if the bar fitted to the vehicle is not properly engineered or the sensor is marginal. Some early airbags had very sensitive sensors and would trigger at the drop of a hat. Now days I believe the Aust standard is for a minimum 25KMH collision to trigger the bag.
John.
AnswerID: 64160

Sponsored Links