Jayco Silverline - Washing Machine removal

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 16:13
ThreadID: 138994 Views:8463 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
jusy trying to help out a friend with a water leak from the top loader washine machine fitted in a Silverline in the rear drivers side corner.
I need to be able to get the machine out to service it but cannot see how it can be removed/replaced.
There is not enough room through the top (apart from the top being sealed around the edges, bathroom sink/cupboard to the side that cannot be removed and the only other side is blocked by the toilet ... even if the side panel could be removed .. but it looks like it can't.

Surely Jayco have not been so incompetent to actually build everything around the washing machine preventing its removal without major works?
Am I missing something here? Can it be removed without too much difficulty?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B18 - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 16:31

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 16:31
Please don't scream out loud enough to deafen me after you read this!!!
The bad news is you have to remove the toilet to get the washing machine out.
UNBELIEVABLE - but sadly true.
AnswerID: 627444

Follow Up By: David H66 - Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 17:10

Tuesday, Aug 27, 2019 at 17:10
thanks for the reply .... I thought that would be the procedure.
You've got to wonder who they get to design these vans .... the local hairdresser!!
FollowupID: 901440

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 00:14

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 00:14
I don't know about 'vans - but there's a lot of vehicles and machinery built by people with the same lack of understanding of repair accessibility!

Range Rovers that need to have the body lifted off the chassis, to do engine repairs!

Landrovers with a cooling system core plug mounted at the rear of the head - hard up against the firewall!
How many Landrovers are running around with a hole chopped in the firewall, that was done to replace that rusted-out core plug!

Dashboard-and-firewall-mounted accessories such as heater cores, that need the engine removed, to be able to access and replace them!

Earthmoving machines where you have to take the cabin off, to access and replace basic things, such as hydraulic pumps!

The world is full of people who design items with no thought, or even the slightest interest, in how they are to be repaired!

I'm sure they believe that when that particular item might need repairing, it's time to junk the whole unit!

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 901517

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 00:50

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 00:50
What about Toyota Landcruiser 200 series.
To remove and replace power steering rack, just remove the engine first.
To remove and replace starter motor, twelve hours work.
Not a vehicle I would want to own out of warranty.
FollowupID: 901518

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 10:48

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 10:48
Don't start me on working on landrovers Ron!, especially the defenders..lol.

It was only last week I fitted a new brake vacuum pump to mine.

In landrover wisdom they have a large metal bracket that's mounted just above the pump to mount the air cleaner canister on., which in turn makes it soooo,. hard to get at the pump bolts. The ideal thing would be to remove canister and take that bracket off, but shock horror it held on by the head bolts.!!!.

I ended up cutting it off with a reciprocating saw and welding it back on again.

Often wonder why I hang on to the old girl,on days like that...lol.

Cheers Axle.

FollowupID: 901536

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 08:42

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 08:42
Yes they are. Maybe not incompetent , just plain stupid. When I was looking at one of these I asked how do we access the washing machine. "Just dismantle cupboards and toilet", was the responce but salesman refused my request for a demonstration. No sale to me.

Good luck

Neil
AnswerID: 627468

Follow Up By: David H66 - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 15:35

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 15:35
I must have looked at 100's af caravans over the years and it always seemed to me as though virtually none of the manufacturers designer's have ever set foot in a caravan before.

It's easy for them as well ...because most of the buyers (particularly first time buyers) are after something that is equivalent to their house in features.
All of these features come at a cost ... particularly with regard to weight.

There needs to be a serious 'overhaul' of the industry with an emphasis on structural integrity and useable payload.
For example, in most caravans, the difference between tare weight and gross weight allows for very little to be carried once the gas bottles and water tanks are filled.
As a consequence, probably 9/10 vans on the road are over-weight.

Manufacturers need to start putting some 'thought' into van designs particularly with regard to ease of maintenance and removal.

Word of mouth can make or brake a van manufacturer (or any other business) ... they should remember that.
FollowupID: 901485

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 18:32

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 18:32
Personally, I think a Royal Commission is in order. The Caravan Industry can pay for it.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901489

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 19:23

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 19:23
Totally agree Frank!

Only problem is it will be the consumer who ends up paying as the industry pass on the cost in increased prices.

Tracy Leigh has been fighting for this for a number of years - problem is she is constantly meeting resistance and being attached from the industry, the regulators and those members of the public who think she is just a winger.

If more disgruntled owners joined her cause, then she would have more weight to add to the ground she has already gained.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 901492

Sponsored Links