off line gps navigation app?

Submitted: Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 14:12
ThreadID: 139093 Views:4846 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, can anyone recommend an off line gps navigation app for android that is free or cheap? tia
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sneaky Pete - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 14:22

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 14:22
I use OSMand + It uses downloadable maps and has available topo lines as an extra .
It seems to work well .
AnswerID: 627805

Reply By: Member - 2208mate - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 15:12

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 15:12
You've come to the right place, everything you need to know is here, https://www.exploroz.com/traveller
...don't know what your idea of cheap is though and the full suite of offline maps is close to 4GB from memory but it's in west, east and central if space is a problem.
I've just put in on a lenovo Tablet and it's doing the job. I also have it on a Win 10 laptop where I enjoy the large screen even better.
AnswerID: 627806

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 15:17

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 15:17
I have spent the last couple of months looking into the same thing for an upcoming trip to USA and Route 66.

My conclusion is that Locus Maps tick all the boxes for what I need plus it has many feature that can be used to adapt it to you liking.

In particular I want lane assist, speed zone warning, import file types like kml/kmz/gpx, off line etc and Locus has them all plus many more.

You can get a free version or pay $10.99 for the Pro version which has no adds plus unlimited map downloads.

I intend to plot my daily drives before leaving, working on my desktop using Google My Maps or similar.

If all you want to do is get from point A to point B using the fastest route, you can used Google Maps. What I want is to plot a scenic route but Google will not follow your way points but Locus does.

OSMand + is another that is on my list but Locus is more flexible.

Only negative I have with Locus is the lack of a pdf user manual but most of them are the same. Locus has a very good online wiki style user guide that covers it all.

AnswerID: 627807

Follow Up By: Norm F - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 15:45

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 15:45
Thanks, Locus is the one that seems to do the lot...
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 902008

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 16:26

Monday, Sep 23, 2019 at 16:26
I agree, it is very flexible as well, you can change menus around to suit the way you want to use it. It also has the ability to record tracks.

All I need now it to find a quick and simple way to plan my daily drives on line as Google is a PITA, even trying to use Google My Maps but then it might be me and the way I am using it.

I have downloaded a map of Route 66 with over 1400 points on it but I can't figure out how it was done and how you use it.

FollowupID: 902009

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:44

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:44
Kazza, a bit O/T but are you doing R66 in a rental? If so, there is usually a 1-way fee going westwards - was USD500 for us - so we went eastward (LA -> Chicago) and no fee.

A lot of the old R66 is under Interstates now. There are a couple of books on R66 that identify the remaining parts that are accessible. Quite an "interesting" drive. If you're interested in those books just let me know.
FollowupID: 902029

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:23

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:23
Thanks for the comment Zippo, yes we have counted in for the $500 for the one way but what happens if they get a hire to return ti back to the east, bet there will not be a refund.

We actually fly into New York for a week and catching Phantom of the Opera on our wedding anniversary - this will be our 5th time.

We then catch the train to Niagara Falls for 2 nights. We pick up the Hertz hire car and drive to Chicago and from there we follow Route 66 as far as Las Vegas. From there we deviate to San Francisco and Los Angeles.

The drive will take us about 4 weeks and I estimate we will drive around 5,000 miles (they don't have any km over there) and all up we will be away for 6 weeks.

Just tired - Google maps might be free and fine for getting from point A to point B but if you want to do a scenic drive it will still take you the fastest route and bypasses all the waypoints.

The Explorer - Maps Me was on my list but it does not have Lane Assist or Speed Zones.

FollowupID: 902031

Reply By: Just tired - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:35

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:35
You can download maps of different areas from Google maps and use them offline. I did this when I went to hawaii. its free

Cheers
Tom
AnswerID: 627824

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:50

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:50
Hello

For street navigation I use Maps.Me (for android) when traveling overseas - download relevant maps before you go so no data roaming required. Probably no good for "outback" navigation but you do not specify your requirements so maybe what you are looking for.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 627826

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 13:22

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 13:22
I use Copilot GPS when OS. When you buy the North American maps you have a licence for all of it, but if memory capacity is an issue you can choose to install only the parts you need.

It has lane assist and it is easy to plan your trip ahead of time, and save it. Best on a tablet for that, but you can do it on a phone. The licence allows you to use it and the maps on multiple devices, so you can plan on a tablet and use a phone for a display when driving.

Its coverage of minor roads and tracks in North America is excellent.

Early versions had a Windows (and probably Apple) desktop program which is excellent for planning but sadly I think that's gone now. I still plan on it then transfer the trip to the mobile devices that have the up-to-date app and maps and then tweak it if necessary.

It's Aussie maps are also excellent with better than average coverage of minor roads and tracks.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627829

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 13:57

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 13:57
I looked at Copilot but found it was a subscription. I don't mind purchasing the ap but not keen on having something that I will need to pay each year. There are plenty of free with adds or payment of $10, $20, $30 apps that you only pay for the one time.

Locus Maps is free or you pay $10.99 once for the pro version with no adds and unlimited map downloads,

I also tried Sygic as it has a very good rating and works well but it is limited to 26 points for each trip so my drive from Niagara Falls to Cleveland with 42 way points I needed to split it into 2 or 3 stages which means pulling over to load the next segment. Also I can not test the route from Australia, Locus maps I can so all my planning will be done and tested before I leave home.
FollowupID: 902036

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 14:15

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2019 at 14:15
I wasn't aware that Copilot had gone to subscription. They have recently been taken over by Trimble, so I guess new corporate rules apply. A shame (the subscription that is).
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 902039

Sponsored Links