Caernarvon Track

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:16
ThreadID: 139103 Views:3537 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning everyone

We are just back from another great 10 days in the Flinders Ranges.

If anyone is travelling this way and would like to take a true, low range four wheel drive track, the Caernarvon Track should be No 1 on your bucket list.

We have driven the old Skytrek 3 times in the past, and 3 years ago, the new Skytrek, and they are nothing to compare.

When the Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby Association purchased the Bunker Reserve from the Reyonds, they were not given access to any of the original departure tracks, so they had to make some very serious new tracks to give access to the highest vehicle access point in the Flinders Ranges....Mount Caernarvon and out safely.

They point out that the track is not for first time four wheel drivers, and you must be experienced and you will see when you drive their new made track.

As they are a non profit organisation, all moneys raised is put back into the reserve, and not a money making cow as some other tracks in the Flinders are.

So if you want a real challenge, see the highest accessible point in the Flinders and some totally unreal country, make sure that you do the Caernarvon Track.

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 19:34

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 19:34
Nice pics. Would you have any of the "true" 4wd track ?

How much to access it and how long to do the track ?
AnswerID: 627856

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 20:21

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2019 at 20:21
Hi Gronk

I say true, as a few of the steeper sections were 1st Low Range and large rocks to negotiate as you approached the top of the hills. The steepest section by far is the new track that they had to put in after you leave Mount Caernarvon.

They warm you about this section before you start the track and tell you that the long downhill section is definitely 1st low and no braking, as if you get into trouble in this section, there could be serious consequences.

The actual track is just over 50 kilometres in length and took us just under 7 hours to drive it, so that should give you some idea of the driving. Of the 7 hours driving, it is only the last 30 minutes that is of flat ground as you head back to the Rangers Station, with a cost of $60 per vehicle.

The new Skytrek Track on the other hand is just over 90 kilometres in length, but only the last 12 kilometres is true low range country, with the other 80 kilometres of track on easy two wheel drive station tracks, at a current cost of $70 per vehicle and took us around 6 hours to drive it.

If you are ever up that way, the Caernarvon Track would be my first choice and knowing of the other great tracks in the Flinders, I feel that you are paying dearer for Skytrek, just because of its name and the reputation it once had when Mount Caernarvon was once part of there property.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 902074

Sponsored Links