Gunbarrel Highway

Submitted: Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 17:48
ThreadID: 139166 Views:4320 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the early stages of planning a trip across the centre and want to do the Gun Barrel highway from Warburton to Carnegie, then onto Wiluna.

Knowing that it is no longer maintained is it possible to tow a full sized (18-20') off road van across it? not that I have a van but potentially a travel partner who will have a Van.

Having read the Trek notes is there any other info needed in the planning of this part of the trip?

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 19:44

Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 19:44
Hasn't been maintained in a very long time. It is mostly a goat track with a lot of diversions around the worst bits but in saying that there are still a lot of bits were it's like driving down a dry rocky creek bed
AnswerID: 628044

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:26

Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:26
Kev,

In 2018, we travelled part of GBH, from David Carnegie Road back to Everard Junction, before heading north on Gary Highway. Wasn’t too bad, few stretches of corrugations & a couple of tighter, almost pin striping sections. There’s a number of side tracks, where it’s a gamble as to which track has the “best” corrugations!Geraldton Bore is good camp, with excellent water, as long as there’s only a few camped there.

This year, one of our CSR group travelled that way, from Warburton to Wiluna. Don’t think he was real impressed, from memory, even though he was driving an 80 series wagon. Think it improved markedly once it hits the Wiluna Shire. Apparently it’s a bit ordinary between Everard Junction & Warburton, as Ivan said.

Worth stopping/camping at Gunbarrel Laager, great spot only 4-5kms out of Wiluna. Not a bad shop at Wiluna Servo, and a visit to old hospital is a must. Other than it’s history, Wiluna itself doesn’t have a lot to offer. Recall the local mechanic got a thumbs up too!

There should be a page on FB that will help with info on GB, Kev?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628045

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:39

Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:39
Thanks Bob,

Will potentially be 2022 when we go but am starting to plan now :)

Looking at 9-10 weeks on the road to do from home to Perth, up the coast and back via either the Tanami or Buntine highway to head East again.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902332

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:49

Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:49
It's a few years since I was there and I wasn't towing but I followed a Cub camper trailer for a few days and came away with a good appreciation of its abilities and the feeling that anything bigger would not really be a good idea.

Its a typical outback track ... corrugations, rocky bits, a few low dunes.

As Ivan says parts of the track resemble a creek and I would think the many washouts would be the challenge for a caravan.

It's a great trip.

Cheers
AnswerID: 628046

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:54

Monday, Oct 07, 2019 at 20:54
Hi Kev

It’s a good drive and nothing hard about it.

Because of its remote nature, when you apply for your permits, they will only grant a permit for a minimum of 2 and a maximum of only 5 vehicles travelling in any group if staring out at Warakurna.

There are good corrugations in the Mount Beadell area, but driving to the conditions and no problems.

Happy planning

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 628047

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2019 at 19:07

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2019 at 19:07
Hi Kev,
I've traversed the Gunbarrel twice in the past few years, once in the dry and once in the wet. On both occasions towing a camper trailer.
In the dry no real issues, in the wet, some difficulty finding the track at times.
I wouldn't recommend taking a van across, but having said that, I did see a promotional video where a manufacturer was bringing his vans to Perth for a show.
He made it eventually but the hassle in my mind was not worth the effort.
I think the clip is on Youtube which you may be able to search for.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 628070

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 23:25

Monday, Oct 21, 2019 at 23:25
We did the trip in 2006 and filmed it. I recently uploaded the entire trip to You Tube in two parts. It will give you an idea of what conditions to expect... mind you, the weather was great to Warburton, and turned foul as we did the abandoned section.
cheers
Laurie

AnswerID: 628257

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 18:28

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2019 at 18:28
Thanks for posting those, Laurie. In 2009 we drove the OGH from Warakurna to Carnegie then on to points west. It was a stunning drive. Your videos are calling me back. It's beautiful out there.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902568

Sponsored Links