Travel through ayres rock with a dog.

Submitted: Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1392 Views:6350 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can somebody please help me with some information on ayres rock, we will be traveling with a dog we do realise we can't go into National Parks but we were wondering if that also included ayres rock. Or could we bush camp and head to Ayres Rock just for a sight seeing with the dog still in the car with us. Our dog is very important to us and we will not leave her anywhere without us.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: johnsy - Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
give peter/ashly severin a call at curtain springs road house 08 8956206 or e mail curtinas@ozmail.com.au
johnsy
AnswerID: 4551

Follow Up By: Geof Kenah - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
We will be traveling with our two dogs in a couple of months. Can you post any info you have/get relating to dogs while traveling as we are having a heck of a time trying to get info.
FollowupID: 1945

Reply By: Wayne- Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
I don't have an answer re ayres rock, but it seems remote area's aren't so strict on dog rules (in Nat Parks). We were told we couldn't take our dog to Morton Island, when we got off the barge, there were three dogs there to greet us and two of them stayed with us most of the time we were there? (1 week). Also you would be amazed at the amount of park rangers living within the park they manage, that have dogs.
I was driving through a NP in west Syd with my dog in the back of the 4wd, and was told by the ranger that he should fine me $200 but he let me off with a warning.
My advise would be to leave the dog with friends rather than limit your access and miss out on the NP's or take the dog and book it in to kennels in the area you are visiting if you intend on going into NP's.
AnswerID: 4576

Follow Up By: Dianne - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Wayne for your info, but I don't think anything will change our mind about taking our dog with us. She is part of our family and we have no intention of leaving her behind with anyone. She knows when we are going to travel and loves every bit of it. Its just my husband wants to see Ayres Rock and would like to climb it ,we will see what happens when we get there. Thanks again Di
FollowupID: 1957

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
We stock and sell a useful book called "Holidaying with Dogs". It lists caravan parks, camping grounds etc that welcome dogs and within it is a listing of dog sitters to assist when you need to visit NP areas. The listing for Uluru is for an Alice Springs company that states they pick up from your van park/motel and will deliver back to you in Alice Springs area. Phone 08 8952 4729. Small Animal Transport and Dog Trainers.By the way, there is no way you will get past the checkpoint gate with the dog in the car. Bush camping is allowed outside of the realms of Yulara but its about a 30min drive from that area right to the Rock. Don't forget Alice is a day's drive from Yulara and Uluru (about 6hrs). It might be worthwhile leaving your pup with the dog sitter for at least one night whilst you do a relaxed visit out the rock. Hope this helps you.
AnswerID: 4617

Reply By: nadia - Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 17, 2002 at 00:00
Dear Dianne, We went to Ayers Rock a couple of years ago with our dog. At the time you could take your dog to the rock and walk around it with your dog on a lead. I don't know if this is still the case. You could take it in turns to see the rock while the other dog sits at the camp site if not. Be aware that baiting for dingoes is common on station properties so do ensure that your dog does not roam---especially if you are bush camping. Hope this helps. Nadia
AnswerID: 4927

Follow Up By: Dianne - Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 19, 2002 at 00:00
Dear Nadia, Thanks for the info, I think we will be doing what you have said about taking turns at seeing the Rock. My husband wants to climb it but all I want to do is see it even if it is from a distance, so we are going to play it by ear and see what happens when we get there, I would think that since the traditional owners have taken it over and believe it is a sacred sight I don't think that they will now like dogs anywhere near it for the obvious reasons but thanks again for your suggestion.
Di
FollowupID: 2134

Sponsored Links