Throttle Controllers

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 27, 2019 at 22:41
ThreadID: 139239 Views:20593 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am looking at purchasing a throttle controller for my Trailblazer.
A few on the market looking at Heiket has any one found issues with these.
Regards Garny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 04:31

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 04:31
I appears identical to an idrive throttle controller and if it is you will have no problems with the unit.

They do work well on road and if you purchase it I would suggest a setting of U2 or U3, as that is kind on the driveline and not overly sensitive. On tracks I just turn it off to desensitize the pedal.

AnswerID: 628356

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 18:25

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 18:25
I have also used the I-drive unit with no problems at all.

In general you will find that most people who have used them are happy with the outcome and nearly all the people who criticise them have never tried one.

The outcome will be different with different makes of vehicles
FollowupID: 902723

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 07:28

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 07:28
Strange question! When buying something it shouldn't come with expected problems at all. It should be trouble free. A throttle controller doesn't control the throttle, it "Out of Controls" it, until it realises you aren't wanting any more than the pedal position and then it backs off the fuel input. In other words it electronically floors the pedal until a predetermined position. The normal pedal operation allows for the turbo boost to rise, sort of matched to the fuel input. Anything which alters it will be overfilling to some degree when acceleration is asked for. You can floor it with the pedal just the same.
AnswerID: 628357

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 07:45

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 07:45
Mine doesn't act like that at all. If you floor the accelerator it will hesitate for awhile then take off, with the idrive it just takes off without that lag.

Friends have them on different vehicles and all report the same result with the lag removed.
FollowupID: 902684

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 09:38

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 09:38
I agree with RMD in that any after market throttle controller is more of a throttle 'out of controller', as the only way that they can work is to increase the fuel supply on that initial 'stab' of the throttle to numbers that are outside of the original manufacturers parameters for that particular phase of the vehicles operation.

The OEM fuel map would be to increase the fuel delivery in line with air flow and turbo boost pressure, keeping emissions to a minimum, whereas the aftermarket supplied throttle controllers would be just to dump as much fuel as possible into the system when the throttle is stabbed open, so as to get an immediate response.

With the OEM system there would also be other considerations such as shock loading protection, and also allowing for the hydraulic pressures in the auto trans to rise sufficiently so as to accept the extra load (torque) without any slippage within the transmission proper ( not torque convertor slippage), not to mention the pressure increases that occur in the fuel rail to give better injector spray patterns, and therefore better combustion.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 902690

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 10:07

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 10:07
I had a iDrive for my Dmax , I tested it extensively towing , off road , unloaded
They are just not needed , I wouldn't bother with one again
FollowupID: 902692

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 15:59

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 15:59
"Strange question! When buying something it shouldn't come with expected problems at all."

Yes you do expect the device to have no unexpected problems, That is probably why he is asking about problems. He wants to avoid units that do have them. I don't see the question being a strange one.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 902702

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 19:12

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 19:12
Throttle controller cant do anything you cant do with your foot except fail. I suppose your foot can fail but you usually have a backup
AnswerID: 628373

Follow Up By: Garny - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 21:39

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 21:39
Thanks for the info guys will take your opinions on board
Regards Garny
FollowupID: 902730

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 22:09

Monday, Oct 28, 2019 at 22:09
Garny
I had an after thought, IF your vehicle has a DPF, then the constant overfuelling each accelerator cycle and subsequent increase in quantity of unburnt particulates entering the DPF will block it far more regularly than the std, OE tested system will do. Maybe not as good idea as first thought.
AnswerID: 628382

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 08:55

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 08:55
A throttle control can't do any harm , they don't increase the fuel or give the car any more power , you just don't have to push the peddle as far its send the voltage to the ECU .
Like I said I had one on my Dmax for 80k + , I just turned if off and could drive the car just the same with the std throttle.
I don't have the Dmax anymore but still have the iDrive anyone want it .
FollowupID: 902736

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 09:19

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 09:19
Jacko
The throttle units have to increase fuel delivery above normal set parameters to cause a reduction in lag which people can't seem to tolerate. The only way to get a turbo spinning faster, ie, accelerate it's compressor quicker for boost to provide more go, is to deliver more fuel than normal to the system so the resulting heat value in the exhaust is immediately greater than normal, therefore less perceived lag. While doing that each time the throttle is asked for, there then has to be more unburnt particulates during that acceleration period of overfuelling until equilibrium is achieved. If there is another way it happens I am interested to learn about it.
FollowupID: 902738

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:02

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:02
They don't actually reduce the lag , it's still there , it's a placebo effect people only think the lag is reduced because they are opening the throttle quicker .
Like Ivan said above just push the peddle down further.
I like just about everyone else thought when I first fitted it " wow " but others said it was like Ivan is saying ,
I argued that they were all wrong and I decided to prove em wrong but after lots of testing, with all different loads , trailers , normal driving , Hi-Country tracks , I even went as far as using a stop watch and setting my ScanGauge to record timed runs
I had to admit yep they were right
The Turdo has no problem keeping up
FollowupID: 902743

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:29

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 12:29
My experience has been different to Jackolux with these devices to the point of turning it down when off-roading in low range as the peddle is too sensitive

RMD, The whole idea of them is to amplify the fly by wire signal so it responds to you foot better they do not alter your fuel delivery or produce more power, just make the vehicle feel more sharp and responsive y
A number of vehicles have the same thing as OEM with a power or sport button.
If you fit a chip or get a remap done on your vehicle part of what they do is what the throttle controller does.

I removed mine when I had a remap done but was using one for several years.
FollowupID: 902753

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 17:53

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 17:53
Alby
Yes, they certainly amplify the signal, the signal isn't really amplified but the wiper resistance is bypasses electronically to create full throttle for a time and FASTER than ypu can put your foot to the floor. So, unless they turn on the fuel earlier then there can be NO change at all. If it opens the fuel flow, ie, injectors to get better response, then only fuel being added can be the variable there. Power or sport is usually a change in program of an Auto. If altering performance then fuel is again the altered item. Reamp certainly alters the delivered fuel, injector companies even make injectors with higher delivery ability over OE especially to cater for that reason.
FollowupID: 902772

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 18:19

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 18:19
I must have a special throttle controller or I am special, as I get the same fuel consumption with it turned on or off., so I wouldn't worry about filling the dpf with soot. All the non throttler controller standard dpf engines seem to be able to do that quite well by themselves.

FollowupID: 902775

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:47

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:47
PX1 Ranger and equivalent BT50 are well known for throttle lag.

You're at a roundabout, a gap comes up, you give it the juice and when the vehicle eventually decides to respond the gap is very much smaller then it was!! I don't know whether it's turbo lag or fly-by-wire throttle lag, that's been discussed on forums, but regardless of the reason the operative word is lag.

I fitted a Torqit Pedal Torq to try to counter the problem. There is a small improvement, but the most noticeable effect is that when the vehicle does wake up it wakes with a vengeance, with neck-snapping response. I don't like that either, especially in the wet. As a result I use a pretty mild setting.

With 20-20 hindsight, if I didn't already own it I wouldn't bother with it.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628396

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 18:13

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 18:13
Frank, it is a shame you didn't buy the idrive. Mine is entirely different in that I have 9 settings. I find U2 to be excellent in removing the problem with the throttle lag on the Ranger (for others it is throttle lag or if they like a too insensitive fly by wire pedal).

On the lower setting you don't get any of that drivetrain breaking response. 4wding I just push a button and it is turned off. I have experienced this problem with early 3l auto Patrols as well when backing into awkward places up hill. You keep putting your foot down to get the thing to move and all of a sudden it wants to take off.

FollowupID: 902774

Follow Up By: nickb - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 22:03

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 22:03
I had an iDrive on my PX1 Ranger, I too found U2 to be the most suitable for me. While it definitely made it much nicer to drive, still it didn’t have the reduction in lag I was looking for, I ended up getting the ecu tuned and sold the iDrive.
FollowupID: 902779

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 22:12

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2019 at 22:12
Yeah, the guy who sold me the Pedal Torq did the same thing.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 902780

Sponsored Links