Article Comment: Holland Track

Hello to all, we are planning to do a 10 days 4WD treck between coming Dec 21st and Dec 31st in the Perth region.
I have seen their are quite a few tracks (including Holland track) that can be combined together to do a nice 4WD tour of 10 days.
About us: we are a French Family, nobody is perfect ;-)..., (with 2 kids 13 and 8). We are passionate about self organised outdoor adventure and 4WD treck and we have done quite a few: We lived in Africa and in Middle East. We have crossed the Sahara desert from Cameroun to France in total autonomy via Nigeria, Niger, Algeria, Tunisia (one month). We have done multiple treck in Island, Northern Europe. Middle East and Africa.
But...we have not yet explore the Australia outback and we are very much looking forward to it.
Given the above, would you be so kind to recommend us a combination of track in South WA (around Perth) which will build or a 10 to 12 days loop from Perth.
Many Thanks in advance for your kind suggestion.
Benoit & Julie
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Dusta - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 15:40

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 15:40
decemeber in perth look at doing a trip from augusta to albany . there is enough to see in 10 days . Don't bother with the holland track or anything east of perth as you will be in 40+ degree heat with a shitload of flies and it won't be enjoyable
AnswerID: 628444

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 17:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 17:00
Benoit, the previous comment regarding heat and flies is very relevant. A trip down south taking in some of our wine regions would be excellent use of your time. Also east of Albany you have Esperance which has some excellent beach driving and the cleanest water and sand you will experience anywhere. And you have a bay down there called Frenchmans Bay where the kangaroos come down to the beach. the D'entrecasteaux NP just east of Pemberton provides some amazing scenery camping, bush and beach driving.

By the way if you do consider Esperence, you can take the inland route via Hyden (Wave Rock fame), and down through Lake King etc and then back to Perth via Albany and the Wine regions.

If you contact Chris Morton of Western 4WDriver (chris@4wheelproductions.com.au) they can organise some publications of travel guides for areas around the south west and also the goldfield areas. These publications aren't expensive and provide a stack of 4wding experiences and some magic camping areas. There is anon-line shop.

cheers and happy camping.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 628445

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 20:01

Thursday, Oct 31, 2019 at 20:01
Hi Benoit,

If you want to see outback your will have to get out of Perth and that patch of green called the south west.

I'd be heading up to Paynes Find, swing out north east a bit and come back via Kalgoorlie. Go back to Perth via Great Eastern Highway or Hyden Norseman Road.

There's plenty in that area to keep you busy for your allocated time period.

It's usually a bit hot that time of year but the weather may be unseasonal. Surviving the heat in the outback is great character building anyway so you will feel good about yourself (when you get back).

Just enjoy it - you'll be amazed at how much natural and man made attractions there are out there.

Always take PLENTY of water with you - no matter what time of year.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628447

Follow Up By: Dusta - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 11:59

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 11:59
why would you suggest him going to paynes find and then heading east and then down to kalgoorlie at that time of year ? Let alone 10 days to around 2000km and take in everything that you will see along the way .

Lets suggest to a european to drive through some of the hottest countryside in almost the hottest time of the year . genius
FollowupID: 902847

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 20:32

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 20:32
I'd suggest that these Europeans are quite knowledgeable from what they have written. Traveling all over the world in hostile conditions.

Well traveled as they are, I would imagine they would be aware of the circumstances as I have written them.
They have asked for local advice for outback travel near Perth for a specific time period and I have given my point of view (as a local).

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 902867

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 17:31

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 17:31
I would readily admit that the Holland Track would not be my preferred destination in December but it should be said that the southern half of WA is not like the Pilbara or the interior where there is day after day of unrelenting 40C plus temperatures from October to April.

The highest maximum last December in Hyden, basically the start of the track, was 40C. Once. The mean maximum was 33. Near the other end, Kalgoorlie had more days in the high 30s but some cooler.

The Holland Track is no vehicle breaker and can easily be traversed in three days with several bail out options along the way.

If I wanted to do a trip in the outback close to Perth with a short time frame, up the Holland Track, on to Helena and Aurora Range and maybe up to Lake Ballard would be a possibility. You would rarely be more than a day away from a town.

Sure it will be at warm, maybe hot. Some people are more bothered by flies.

The original poster says he has been around. If that's true there's not much in that area that should bother him.

The usually provisos apply. Water, food, some communications (there is a mobile signal on parts of the HT), let people know where you think you will be and when. Carry a PLB.

Whatever he does I hope he enjoys WA.

Cheers

AnswerID: 628481

Sponsored Links