Jackaroo Transmission

Submitted: Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1393 Views:10807 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any bad experiences with the Holden Jackaroo Transmission.
I ask because I am looking at one and a friend who is trading a jacky in was told that efore the final figure could be confirmed, they had to check the transmission??
I realise there are some times lemons in any range but the fact that a holden dealership checked the trans on a trade vehicle does say something. His is a 96 petrol Man. I am actually looking at a 99 T/D Man.
Tim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff - Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 01, 2002 at 00:00
hi Tim,
I own a 2001 petrol and so far no problems at all I did a lot of research before I made my mind up. The jacks are very sound and don't carry any inherent problems,concidering it's a4x4 the transmission will get a lot of work I to would want to check it first as well.You must remember tim that 4x4 driving can be very hard on a vehicle, the transmission does a lot of work. I hope I have been of some help.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 4555

Reply By: old soldier - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
I hate to be the fly in the ointment but, yes - some Jackaroos do have problems with very noisy transmissions. I own a 98 SE V6 as any member of this forum or the Overlander forum willl know, and although I am extremely happy with my Jack, I have had all the bearings replaced on 1,2,3 & 5 gears to counteract the "whine". It appears that this could be inherent in the design - although not affecting all Jacks. I have a mate who has a 2000 V6 and he has developed the same "whine" whilst still under full factory waranty. GMH completely replaced 1,2,3 & 5 gears plus the bearings. I have had the fault explained to me by a mechanic friend of mine - something to do with "cluster bearings" [whatever they are - I'm not a mechanic as you can see]. Despite this I am told that the fault is not threatening to the vehicle's gearbox - just an annoying noise. So, as you can see, SOME Jacks do suffer this problem. enjoy the bush.
AnswerID: 4559

Reply By: savvas - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tim...tell your friend to try another dealer for his trade in. If there is no undue noise while driving it, then the dealer should be able to confirm a trade-in price quite quickly. This is a stunt and I doubt that they will pull the transmission out and tear it down (the only way to really check this) at their own cost, prior to giving him a trade-in value. Everyone has to realise the customer has the power in these situations by simply taking his business elsewhere. If he stands his ground and gives the dealer a hard time, instead of allowing the reverse, he will get a better deal.
AnswerID: 4560

Reply By: savvas - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

PS.... I have a 2000 Monterey, 47000kms, no major probs other than finicky wheel alignment. Had that fixed at a local Bob Janes T-Mart for $49. I absolutely love this car.
AnswerID: 4561

Reply By: Darian - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

My 99 Se Diesel is doing just fine n dandy, but it has had a whine in 5th, right from the start. It's quite noticeable at 80kmh and goes away around
95. I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lay - might ask the RAA (SA) for an opinion but.
dp
AnswerID: 4569

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Darian, Agree that you should let sleeping dogs lie. As I said in a previous post it does not seem to be a "threatening" fault, but the whine was a bit of a pain at times. The bearings on 1,2,3 & 5 were replaced at 142,000km, and apart from that it's one hell of a great machine. Love it. Regards
FollowupID: 1952

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
I have a 99 se petrol auto. Ihave had an absolutely great run 140,000 km and the only real problem was a squeeky back door. The dealer sounds like a bit of rogue and as stated earlier trying to scam on the trade-in value. By the way you will always get more for yr vehicle if you sell privately.
I love the Jackaroo its one fine xover good in the city and great in the bush. The news that Izuzu is about to stop making them is a real worry, what do I do, buy a new one (deisel this time) and hope they hold resale value or go to the next best and buy a Deisel Nissan.
AnswerID: 4597

Follow Up By: Savvas - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
2003 is the last year for the Jackaroo/Trooper/Bighorn. In fact, the Trooper will stop in the USA this September and will be replaced by the Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy based Isuzu Ascender (ie..not a real Isuzu). If you read forums such as Edmunds Townhall, you'll see that Isuzu fans in the US have already nicknamed it the ASSender. Isuzu Japan is cash-strapped and GM in Detroit have screwed it right over. A real shame, as the next generation of the Jackaroo should have been an excellent 4WD.
FollowupID: 1974

Reply By: tim - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks guys, I will be making an offer tomorrow.
Fingers X'ed
Tim
AnswerID: 4611

Reply By: Trevor - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
We own a '97 petrol SE manual with 87,000 Km on it and the transmission has given no trouble at all, despite some very arduous use. The transfer case has a very slight whine, but that is typical of straight cut gears. The owners' manual states that engine oil can be used in the gearbox and transfer case, however both the local GMH dealer and an independent mechanic have told me not to, as it can break down under severe use. We now use Castrol Syntran 75/85 which is fully synthetic. It gives easier shifting when first driving off in cold conditions and very smooth, easy changes at all other times. It costs a bit more than mineral oils, but Castrol say it only needs to be changed every 60,000 Km instead of every 40,000 with the non-synthetic types.
Cheers
Trev
AnswerID: 4621

Reply By: Dion - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
Mum and Dad's previous Jack, a '98 TD man developed this bearing noise in the gearbox. Bearings were replaced under warranty as described above. Due to differing circumstances, they now have a 2001 Jack SE TD with the auto. A very interesting vehicle to drive, when towing my 1600kgs of boat. Unlike a manual where you sink your boot into it to keep it going uphill, with the auto, you need to back off with the right foot as speed decreases going uphill, and you can then ascend hills without it wanting to change all the way back to 2nd. It is almost like learning to drive again.
Cheers,
Dion
AnswerID: 4784

Sponsored Links