Might be some Not so happy campers on the East Coast NSW this Xmas!

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 15:01
ThreadID: 139402 Views:7409 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
By Jeez there has been some hectares burnt out recently in the National parks

Overheard a group at the local Servo whinging about where their going to go camping as their usual spot has been ravaged by fire. It was as if someone owed them ! "Get over it I thought" its the ones that have lost everything that have the right to whinge and unfortunately there's been quite a few in that situation.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 16:40

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 16:40
A similar area was burnt in 1939 in Victoria alone, 3,700 buildings, so not much has changed with the fire aspect in 80 years. 150 years ago around turn of century also a very large area burnt in Vic.
AnswerID: 629023

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 17:56

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 17:56
G/Day RMD.

The population is a bit different now in most states making for more difficult times in bad fire seasons.

and with the added complication of climate change, but we wont go there eh!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 903702

Reply By: terryt - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 17:57

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 17:57
Were they whinging or were they just having a discussion about alternatives?
AnswerID: 629025

Follow Up By: axle - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 18:37

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 18:37
Terryt

Where going to have to do this now, its not as good, its going to cost us more, we wont have as much time

And that was only a bit of it!...….Whingers in my book.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 903704

Reply By: Dave B18 - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 20:13

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 20:13
Fires are not the only issue. So many towns coastal and inland are starting to run out of water.
Northern NSW basically is a right-off. Locations that are not affected will be mobbed.
The damage to the NSW National Parks on the east coast is horrific.
Sadly now something like 700 homes burnt out.
AnswerID: 629026

Reply By: eaglefree - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 20:43

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 20:43
What happened to drought proofing our country”? Is there a plan?

Victoria has apparently, drought proofed Metro Melbourne with a desalination plant we have to pay off over decades and piping water from Yea from the Goulburn. Fat good it does the rest of the state

We need politicians with flare, scientists with proposals and investment (where is Gina?) . Several desal plants on the east coast keeping the Darling alive would be a start.

All our politicians want to do is add more population- scandalous.

But those guys concerned about their holiday spots is imo quite normal. If asked if they are concerned about fire victims I think they would be.
Tony
AnswerID: 629027

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 21:01

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 21:01
You got the politicians and their (lack of) plans that you paid for.

We need more Statesmen and Stateswomen rather than politicians.

The difference being, the first makes long term plans and decisions that are good for the country - the latter make plans for the week ahead, that pose most benefit to their particular party.

As a good mate often said, "You wouldn't give politicians a sweet shop to run outside a Girls School, they'd send it broke in a month".

Hardly a one of them has any business or management experience, they are picked by faceless party preselection powerbrokers, on the basis of affiliations or loyalty to the Party.

If was elected, I'd ban political parties and make politicians accountable to their electors, as it should be.

I don't give a stuff about Gina, she made her billions by her old man signing a Royalty agreement to get 2.5% of every tonne of iron ore that Rio Tinto pulls out of the ground - forever.
And she's a classic for major tax avoidance using Trusts and lots of shiny bum lawyers, scheming up tax "minimisation" schemes.
Remember, she was married to the biggest Tax Cheat lawyer in the U.S. - Frank Rinehart.
Rinehart was convicted of tax fraud and disbarred in the U.S. He taught Gina well.

Yet if you listen to her, the Hancock family is solely responsible for the entire Iron ore industry in Australia and Lang should have got a Knighthood.

The "hood" part is right, he hoodwinked every Australian out of their royalty entitlements and directed it to his own money bin. A classic Robber Baron.

Is it any wonder the Federal Govt passed a law banning private individuals from writing up royalty agreements, after they realised how much Lang Hancock shafted every Australian??

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 903707

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 21:28

Sunday, Dec 08, 2019 at 21:28
Have you read the Australian this weekend Ron. Might be a glimmer of hope for the future with Morrison's shake up.
Dave.
FollowupID: 903709

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 10:20

Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 10:20

I'll vote for you Ron.
Just tell me the electoral division I need to move to.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 903714

Reply By: skulldug - Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 08:37

Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 08:37
I always get a laugh out of Friday Funnies but this post takes the cake!

Someone whinging because an old fart whinged at some young blokes whinging.

I guess I just added to it all :)

AnswerID: 629028

Follow Up By: eaglefree - Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 09:23

Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 09:23
Being cynical in this world is also understandable as it has become a dog eat dog all for yourself place. But we should maintain some faith plus benefit of the doubt.

Overhearing conversations from a group isn’t enough to be conclusive imo. Earlier out of earshot they could have been talking about the farmers or home owners- the victims.

How many times do we misjudge others like this but when we get to know them better they end up to be kind empathetic people?
FollowupID: 903712

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 10:10

Monday, Dec 09, 2019 at 10:10
Sorry, but it's always been a dog eat dog all for yourself place. As you get older you just see it easier especially in these days of information overload and a 24/7 sensationalized news barrage. If you think the past was a nicer place back then, then you weren't paying attention. Ask anyone of a different race, colour or sexual orientation....or simply ask a woman from years ago.
FollowupID: 903713

Follow Up By: Fourbie - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2019 at 22:49

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2019 at 22:49
My highly subjective experience of people is that it takes a special person to appreciate the world beyond their personal limit of experience. It seems to be more common than not to hear cries of "Me! ME!" above all else.
I've been standing around in my aged and threadbare gear, near my aged and threadbare Ranger, only to hear some designer-dressed person in a BMW complain about the cost of private schooling, and the privations they've had to deal with on their 6 figure salary!! (Its a true story, I knew them).

Its all relative, but it sure seems the more a person's got the harder they think they have it!

I also had to stand around smiling, while another wealthy person I knew complained bitterly about the Inconvenience! of running their oversized Toorak Tractor into a poor person's school-drop-off jalopy, meanwhile the other person's car is a write off and they're injured, but! The paintwork! etc.

I know some nice people...these weren't two of them. There definitely seems to be a subjective trend towards selfishness.
FollowupID: 903767

Reply By: Dave B18 - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019 at 17:37

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019 at 17:37
Travelling in the New England Region today. You want to see the dead eucalyptus trees, it is truly horrific. Complete mountain sides that are now dead trees - all brown. Is AWFUL to see the devastation of the drought. Bits of rain forecast for today and tomorrow, but don't know how much they will get. The forecasting for the New England Region is the most unreliable in Australia according to the BOM website. Forecasts 5-10mm and may get nothing or 20-25mm.
Travelled up from Coffs Harbour via Ebor to Guyra on Monday. You drive past kilometre after kilometre of burnt out national parks and forest. The New England NSW National Parks are now basically non-existent.
Going to devaste the economy of the New England Region for many years. Great place to holiday in summer as seldom gets to 30C and cool overnight and normally no shortage of good locations on rivers or dams. Sadly not this year. Couple of my favourite locations are either burnt out or dry.
AnswerID: 629055

Follow Up By: Legendts - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019 at 20:32

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019 at 20:32
We also came through that region in July and back in September before the fires and agree the number of big gums that were dying was unbelievable. Dead limbs dropped everywhere.
FollowupID: 903774

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019 at 21:24

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2019 at 21:24
Travelled extensively in the mountains of Northern NSW for the last 35 years & know most of it intimately.
The beautiful Gondwana rainforests are (were) better than any you will find anywhere else.
We were there 11 months ago & commented that it had never been so dry. No water in the creeks & rivers & the lush forests were suffering. No suprise this has happened & the rainforests will now be replaced by dryer Eucalyptus forest which colonise the mountains first. The rainforests as we know them may never return & now the fire cycle will be even more frequent.
It is sad times for all those who have lost their homes & all our native animals that have lost their lives & homes forever.
Sad times for all.

Stu.
AnswerID: 629056

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Thursday, Dec 12, 2019 at 09:46

Thursday, Dec 12, 2019 at 09:46
Same here Stu, Been exploring there on and off since 1975 If anywhere on the planet made you believe in magic - parts of this area were it.

Very Sad!
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 903777

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:18

Thursday, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:18
G'day Kerry,
Probably our favourite part of Australia & little known to many. I wonder how the Pademelons that wander around camp in Washpool & some of the other parks have fared in the fires.
There is a good reason there is such a cluster of Nat Parks there.
Hard to believe that we have been stranded in there on a few occasions by rain & swollen rivers.
Can't think of a better spot to be stuck for a while. :-)

Cheers Stu
FollowupID: 903778

Sponsored Links