This Thread has been Archived
I found this very intersting , did not know they called the early model a Jeep

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Dec 14, 2019 at 13:31

Saturday, Dec 14, 2019 at 13:31
Doug - The commentator and the storyline is very American-centred. Had to laugh at his comment, "in 1958, Toyota only sold ONE FJ40 for the entire year" . He forgot to mention, that single sale was only in America.

In Australia, Landcruisers were available from 1956, and by 1958, they were selling quite well, despite the still-strong anti-Japanese sentiment amongst Australians.

In America, the anti-Japanese sentiment was even stronger - and with a Japanese company launching a sales assault upon the "worlds greatest auto manufacturer", it's little wonder Toyota only sold one FJ40 in America in 1958.

What a lot of people don't know, is that the Japanese got their big leg-up into 4WD and truck manufacturing, via the U.S. military, during the Post-WW2 Occupation of Japan by the Allies.

The American senior military commanders rapidly realised, once they had occupied Japan, that there was an immediate need for jobs and income for the demoralised and beaten Japanese.

These commanders realised the Japanese were good workers, and had attention to detail, so they organised the Japanese to carry out major reconditioning and repair of the vast numbers of Jeeps, trucks and other military equipment, that had all suffered badly from their treatment during the War.
The extensive reconditioning and repair work on these trucks and Jeeps was carried out by the Japanese, under contract to the U.S. military.

The Americans understood that the Asian region was still volatile with major unrest, with Korea being a major problem - and they understood that there was likely to be a need for a lot of U.S. military assets to be ready for another conflict in the region, soon.

The Japanese were very quick learners, coupled with intensive education from the U.S. military engineers, on how American equipment was constructed, and how to repair it.

The Japs rebuilt multiple tens of thousands of U.S. military equipment items, mostly trucks and Jeeps, between 1947 and 1950, when that reconditioned equipment was then moved to South Korea, to support the Korean War.

But once the U.S. military reconditioning contracts were completed, the Japanese realised there was a substantial market for 4WD's and trucks, so they turned their recently-gained mechanical and engineering knowledge to producing their own models of 4WD's and trucks.

There is one simple reason why the first FJ Landcruiser engines were virtually a copy of the 235 cu in Chev "Blue flame" engine - it was the engine the Japanese had learnt all about in fine detail, as to its design and repair, when they reconditioned tens of thousands of U.S. Army Chev trucks for the Americans, between 1947 and 1950.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 629083

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 15:34

Monday, Dec 16, 2019 at 15:34
Back around 1970 roughly I was working on a pastoral station East of Onslow in the Ashburton area of WA

The station had a quite old by then Toyota tray back and we had issues with the carby. I don't recall what it was but it was not reparable with what we had on hand and the vehicle was inoperable.

It was a critical vehicle to the operation and we went down the station tip and foraged around and found an old WW2 jeep of some sorts...no recollection of what

Guess what??….. the carby from this fitted perfectly including all the linkages and it simply bolted on like a genuine OEM …...All it needed was a damn good clean out and it was off and running.

So clearly the Japanese's did learn and learn fast and blueprinted and the rest is history as we know
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 903825

Sponsored Links