phone

cons and pros for the sleeve that i can use to convert my phone ,to make it similar to a sat phone thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 20:36

Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 20:36
Hi Barry,

Those “Sat Sleeves” use the Thuraya network. It does not have the same coverage as the Iridium network, which has the best coverage in Australia. From what I have read, this is the only drawback.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629240

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 20:46

Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 20:46
Have you used both Barry? We had more trouble with Iridium. It was either there or it wasn't. With the Thuralya all we need is a view to the North.
The reason we chose not to get the satsleave was the fact you are relying on to devices to do one job
FollowupID: 903991

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 07:38

Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 07:38
Hi Guys,

I based my comments on the Thuraya System from the numerous reports I have read on various sites from people that own & use Sat Phones on both the Thuraya System & the Iridium System. Those with the Thuraya phones have had trouble locating satellites in various parts of Australia, regardless of wether they are in hilly or flat country. Whereas they are far fewer people having trouble locating a satellite using Iridium phones anywhere in the country.

I have no doubt that many people with Thuraya phones have never had an issue, but from my research, the Iridium network has better coverage. I think this is because they have more than 1 Satelite covering Australia.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 904019

Reply By: Dave B18 - Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 21:23

Saturday, Dec 28, 2019 at 21:23
Have you considered why you really need a satellite phone today?
Have you looked at Spot Gen3
https://au.findmespot.com/en/
AnswerID: 629241

Follow Up By: Jarse - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 06:55

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 06:55
Can you talk on a Spot?
FollowupID: 903994

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 09:29

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 09:29
You can get a sat phone plan for less than a SPOT, you can talk, send texts and make free calls to 000. And a PLB is free to use.

With a spot you can't order parts using your credit card. Can't have a detailed interactive conversation about a medical issue, can't book accommodation or repairs ahead, can't call local police.

AFIK the only application that a SPOT is the best for, is so people know where you are.
FollowupID: 903996

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 11:59

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 11:59
Hi Tony,

Each piece of safety equipment that we buy has its own special place.

I like many people share my remote trip tacking with SPOT, and picture this, where all you high tech gear will be useless, and a SPOT will save your bacon.

You are active tracking using you SPOT, but unfortunately you roll your vehicle and you are badly hurt.

Those that are following you will know your exact location and where you have stopped, and hopefully will call the cavalry .

I used to say the very same with HF rations, until one time we were in Birdsville and in the wee hours of the morning, the RFDS plane came in.

The outcome of the emergency recovery was a guy in his Disco, rolled and was seriously injured and was not found until around 15 hours after the accident.

I do own a HF Radio , Sat Phone, PLB’s and. SPOT and now put my SPOT no 1 on my list, as they will let the outside world know where you are in unconscious.

All the best for the New Year.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 903999

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 15:09

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 15:09
Stephen, in that scenario the cavalry may not save you. It depends on how closely (aka how often) your followers are checking on your progress.
FollowupID: 904004

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 15:28

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 15:28
I share my SPOT with family and friends, that follow our every moves.

One time we stopped for a lunch stop, took a few photos and were on the move again in about 35 minutes.

When I spoke with my dad, he thought we must have had a puncture, as we were stopped longer than normal.

But to answer your question, my SPOT will show anyone where we are within 5 minutes of real time travelling, and will be better than any other emergency item if something serious happens,

Those that bag out a SPOT are usually those that have never owned one, or know there capabilities.

Safe Travels

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904006

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 16:43

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 16:43
Ours is a Gen 1 Spot with 10 minute tracking, We use it much the same way as Stephen uses his, plus we send an "I'm OK" message each morning at brekky and each afternoon at sundowners.

Plus an Iridium satphone, plus a PLB.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904009

Follow Up By: Dave B18 - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 17:39

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 17:39
Stephen you are confusing people with facts. Shame on you!!!
Spot and PLB are our number one devices. Don't care what the Spot costs, our lives are worth it.
Thankfully never needed to order spares. Do sufficient maintainence to hopefully avoid that problem. Virtually carry no vehicle spares, but do for the diesel heater. Never needed spares for the diesel heater, but again do maintainence on it every year. Will be a job in a couple of days.

Tony you need to study up the capabilities of SPOT.
Zippo if you are organised you follower's will check on your three times a day. We always send a message at daybreak and sunset
FollowupID: 904011

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 08:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 08:00
Stephen, I certainly understand that you are well prepared. And having aHF Radio , Sat Phone, PLB’s in addition to a SPOT is a different scenario to what was proposed to the OP as an ALTERNATIVE to a Sat phone.

I too have a HF, sat phone and a couple of EPIRBs, and while the situation you outline would be best handled by the SPOT, it is an extreme edge case. It would only be the best solution if no one was conscious and most importantly there is someone monitoring your progress every few hours and had the confidence to call the authorities, even at the risk of it being a false alarm. I don't have someone monitoring my travels on an hour;y basis. I am often in one location for days, it would be boring viewing. In the end, the issue with your dad thinking you were held up was only clarified by communications means other than the spot. That's my point.

For most scenarios, if you have a choice of the sat phone or SPOT, the sat phone is way more useful. Except for people tracking you.

I have looked at SPOT several times and would get it if I wanted people to track me in near-live situations. It is good for that. That is a fact Dave LOL.

As per Dave's suggestion to someone considering a SPOT to the OP asking about a Sat phone. They are very different devices. Sat Phone AND spot... sure for the right reason, espcially backed up by the PLB's and HF.

Also Dave, I am interested why you chose to have a SPOT and the PLB? I thought the SPOT was an alternative to the PLB, albeit a paid service instead of free.

I just think the OP should be advised with the best alternatives for the scenario he / she asked about.

Anyway, that's my take. Happy New year all.

FollowupID: 904060

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 11:12

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 11:12
Tony

My post was also aimed at Jarse, who said can you talk on a SPOT.

If you are unconscious, you can not speak on a sat phone, hf radio, or trigger your PLB, but your SPOT will still be sending out you position and showing that you have not move.

SPOT is the only way to let family and friends where you are at any given time with have to talk to anyone.

Happy New Year

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904062

Follow Up By: Jarse - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 12:45

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 12:45
Thanks Stephen.

If you're incapacitated, nothing is going to help you then (short of a PLB with a G-switch or lanyard that activates it in a rollover or impact. Not sure if such an animal exists. (I used to carry one in the plane when travelling remotely).

Position reports are dependent on a responsible person judiciously monitoring SAR for you (as we use in aviation). I guess that's how you liken it to your spot.

As far as remote travel goes, I cancel SAR at the end of the day with a text (or call) to that responsible person. So that achieves the same end as a spot.

I take additional comfort in the fact that if I have any other problem (or somebody else does) that requires voice, (as others have mentioned above), I can make that call.
FollowupID: 904063

Reply By: Jarse - Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 07:03

Sunday, Dec 29, 2019 at 07:03
Barry, I have the Thuraya Satsleeve +wifi. It works well wherever I've used it, with the exception of in deep ravines, where you would have difficulty getting a satellite view with any satphone.

I use an aftermarket roof antenna which gives even better coverage. You can leave the setup in the car, or anywhere around the campsite, because it connects to the phone via wifi. You can connect a couple of phones via the wifi, eg the missus' (but only one can call at a time, of course).
AnswerID: 629245

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 17:11

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 17:11
Which antenna do you use?
FollowupID: 904066

Follow Up By: Jarse - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 17:58
Ivan I use a Scan-Antenna rooftop omnidirectional. Has a magnetic base and is around 120mm diameter.
FollowupID: 904067

Reply By: Alex plumb - Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 10:26

Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 10:26
Yes thuraya sat sleeve works great .
AnswerID: 629255

Reply By: b1b - Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:36

Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:36
i have the Thuraya sat sleeve and it works fairly well. The Iridium network seems to be the most comprehensive through the slightly more southern regions of Australia while the Thuraya appears to be more effective in the north. I can't find the comparison maps on the net that i found some time ago but i know they are around and compare all three networks and give coverage maps. I believe that the Iridium Go is a similar device to the Satsleeve and i would have gone that way if available when i purchased the Satsleeve
regards - b1b
AnswerID: 629256

Follow Up By: b1b - Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:43

Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 11:43
Archived ThreadID: 134986 has some good information from some well known people who have been helpful to this forum.
b1b
FollowupID: 904027

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 12:49

Monday, Dec 30, 2019 at 12:49
Here's the link to ThreadID 134986 ....

Thuraya Sat sleeve

Keep in mind that Thuraya is an Arab company fully owned by the Govt of Abu Dhabi, based in the UAE.
They fully own, only 2 satellites - but have agreements or interests in 3 other satellites, making a total of 5 satellites that they rely on.
They claim to be the 6th largest satellite global coverage provider.

Thuraya - Who We Are

But Iridium has just launched a substantial number of new satellites, resulting in complete replacement of its original satellite fleet, as well as major upgrades of their ground-based infrastructure.
Iridium now have a total of 66 satellites for global coverage. That makes them a lot bigger than Thuraya.

Iridium

Here is a link to an Australian, Thuraya VS Iridium VS Inmarsat, comparison webpage.

Thuray vs Iridium vs Inmarsat

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 904033

Reply By: Member - Jim - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 17:59

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2020 at 17:59
Barry P

I have a SatSleeve Remote and find that it works well, but even better when you purchase the Scan Antenna to go with it.
I normally set it up inside the rear of the vehicle with the Scan antenna on the roof, and as others have said you can be within WiFi range to use the phone. (It uses your phone's normal contacts list) so there is no need to duplicate it with another second phone.

I was in the past a HF radio user until I bought another vehicle which required further costs to mount the HF aerial. (I still own the HF, a Codan 9323).

I hope this was helpful

Cheers,
Jim
AnswerID: 629284

Sponsored Links