!2 V Hand held generator/dynamo

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 19:57
ThreadID: 139550 Views:22562 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone suggest what type or 12v generator/dynamo would be suitable for recharging a mobile phone etc whilst away should needs be. As we are based in West Gippsland, a distributor in the Melbourne region would be preferable, but not a precursor, as we can always arrange delivery. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. This is a back up for loss of power if all mains goes down due to fire out breaks as well. We have had 3 fires recently with no power, but were able to charge the cfa radio and phone by running the ute. Thanks ahead for any replies and suggestions.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 20:35

Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 20:35
You’d be be better off fitting a USB outlet in your vehicle, Garry, or perhaps buy one of these, in photo, and keep it charged in the event of any blackouts.

Don’t recall the capacity of this one, but it is big enough to recharge a phone almost fully. There are higher capacity versions available from likes of JB Hifi.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629497

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 05:59

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 05:59
Hi Bob Y, i thought of a battery pack but still remained in the same position of charging. If power went down for several days, the likes of the cfa radio would last 10-12hrs on continuous use, and phone subject to use 30hrs. I did not want to continually let the vechile run just to charge up appliances hence portable generator or dynamo. Thnks for the input

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904428

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 20:48

Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 20:48
Hi Garry
Have you thought about a phone power bank, they plug into your phone to power it and go up to 27000mAH in battery capacity which they claim can charge a phone 10 times.
lf your CFA radios are USB cable charged you can use it for them also. They range from $60 to $200 depending on battery size. check them out on the net they may be what your looking for.

Murray

PS same thing as Bob has said above, He types faster than me lol
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 629498

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 20:55

Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 20:55
I am certain you can get solar charges that you can plug into.
AnswerID: 629499

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 21:34

Sunday, Jan 12, 2020 at 21:34
Hi Garry,

Is this what you are looking for?

Or this?

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 629502

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 06:08

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 06:08
Thanks Allan B, the second high output unit looks perfect for purpose. I will get my son in law to check all the specs an see if he thinks it is suitable to our needs. He lives in a bushfire prone area, and it only takes a wind to bring trees down. He lost power 3 times last week due to winds and fire activity in the area. Yes we may loose cell phone due to tower problems but at least the cfa radios are still working. He is a CFA fire volunteer, so it helps me know where he is and on what appliance, let alone activity in the area. Thanks again for your help.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904429

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 08:56

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 08:56
Garry,

Although I answered the question you asked, I do think that is not the best solution for your needs.
I would use a 12v AGM deep cycle or Lithium battery which is kept on standby with a small solar panel then brought into use as needed. You could choose a battery capacity to suit your load and duty time. If it required recharging during duty then any vehicle's alternator would serve.
Adding a phone 5v power bank adds versatility although I don't know if that services the CFA radio.

As has been said, hand cranking could become onerous in an emergency situation.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 904432

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 09:14

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 09:14
I agree with Allan
A small solar panel , battery and inverter and you would be able to charge all sorts of rechargeable devices. Either fitted to your vehicle (it would be mobile then) or at home. Could even run some 12 volt lighting off a small setup.
Cheers
Shane
FollowupID: 904437

Follow Up By: GarryR - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 08:38

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 08:38
I got my son in law reading the thread, and he has agreed that we run a inverter off the second battery, that is independant from main battery of the vechile. We will also acquire a couple to battery packs that can be rubber banded to the phone and radio along with the necessary lead, and a 3rd battery with the inverter being charged. It has been great to get other input/views, as one can be a bit blind sided with a mental block, and there is always a better solution to be found. Thanks all

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904486

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 07:25

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 07:25
A battery box with a solar input sounds like less work to me and can be used while camping and touring.
AnswerID: 629506

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 07:36

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 07:36
Exactly.

Garry it makes sense to think about a solution like this.

Charging a phone could take 4 - 6 hours, Especially as whatever solution you get won't have the latest 3.0 fast charge capability. I can't imagine sitting there turning a generator for several hours while panic and a lot of work is going on during a fire. Surely what is suggested here or a few quality power banks that could deliver 3 - 4 full charges each is a better solution for such emergencies. Back that up with some solar to charge the phones and batteries in case things go on for some time.

Also a Sat phone would be worth considering. I read that a lot of phone towers were burnt or disabled.

FollowupID: 904430

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 08:58

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 08:58
How many hours are you prepared to wind a handle to charge a radio. These generators are not going to charge them any quicker than they do on the mains.

Erecting a solar system to just have emergency power is going to require looking after. Do you have a vehicle you can remove the battery from during times of emergency? If so get a 100 W (or larger) panel and a regulator. Keep these handy. When you need the emergency power lash up your system with the donor battery. If you do most of your charging during the day a small car battery will suffice.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 904434

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:45

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:45
My vechile has a second battery that can be removed, and I do have a spare 120w solar rigid panel in the shed. Yes it does make sense to hook this in the interim. The suggestion of a inverter had totally slipped my mind. It is really good that people can suggest an alternative that one does not think about. I was trying to think of simplicity, but did not think about practicality. I do own a satphone that we keep handy in such cases should the tower goes down. The cfa radio is the most important as to get immediate reports of the situation. This gives us the chance to get all the fire sprinklers on the house and shed operational prior to ember attack. It also gives us the knowledge of what roads are impacted in case of needing to leave.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904450

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 13:17

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 13:17
G’day again GarryR,
Another thing I’ve got is a solar panel on my shed, that I plug into (via Anderson ) my vehicles system . So keeps the fridge etc. going .I’ve got a 600watt inverter in the vehicle full time . Good for charging power tool batteries as well.
Cheers
Shane
FollowupID: 904451

Follow Up By: smwhiskey - Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 20:08

Monday, Jan 13, 2020 at 20:08
Hi Garry

It may not be practical but I'd leave the battery in the car and then just connect the solar panel to it via Anderson plug, that way you've still got the battery in the unfortunate event that you have to leave in a terrible hurry. Battteries not in the car are probably likely to get left behind in the rush.

But from what I've seen on the TV (i.e solar not being useful due to the smoke blocking the sunlight), having a plan B (or even C, D and E) for charging various devices might be worth considering. As mentioned, Battery Banks are the obvious choice, Wind generator are another (but fairly expensive and not failsafe) but if its a common occurrence that you lose power then maybe you need to consider a generator.

And I can't find the photo but my old man one hooked a car alternator to an exercise bike to charge up batteries.

Simon

Simon
FollowupID: 904458

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2020 at 08:05

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2020 at 08:05
G'day Gary,
I too live in a high bushfire zone & get power outages.
I use 2 deep cycle batteries & solar for charging. I also have a very small gennie only used for battery charging if needed.
I use an 180W 12/240 inverter. To charge various things. Be sure to get a PURE SINEWAVE inverter. There are a few sensitive electronic appliances that won't run off the cheaper Modified Sine wave inverters. A sleep apnoea pump & some laptop power supplies are an example.

Cheers Stu
AnswerID: 629517

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:01

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:01
A lithium jumpstarter is also a useful portable multipurpose device for those situations.
The one I have has a 2.1A USB output, 15A 12V output and a 400lumen flashlight with strobe as well as start engines up to 6Litre diesel.
I use it to run camplights - battery is 56 watt hour.
It will recharge off a car battery.
NOCO GB70 Lithium Jumpstarter
AnswerID: 629529

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:27

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:27
G'day Phil,
Those jumpstart packs are great for jumpstarting but drain pretty fast when used for charging items.
Friend that goes away with us has a lithium jumpstart pack but has bought deep cycle & inverter for charging Ipad laptop etc because the jumpstart pack drained really fast.
Think they are designed for short duration high power drain.

Cheers Stu
FollowupID: 904491

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 13:27
Thats an important point Stu. But the GB70 above is a fair bit bigger than the usual lithium jumpstarter and the original question was to charge a phone. You certainly won't be running a fridge off it!
I must test mine to see how how many Ah I can get out of it
FollowupID: 904498

Follow Up By: Phil G - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 18:33

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 18:33
Comfortably got 4Ah out of it, running a LED light bar that draws 0.75A.
FollowupID: 904501

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 19:39

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 19:39
Yea thats ok for a couple of phones but the CFA radios take a bit to run.
When my friend charged her IPad it ran the jumpstart pack down to 20% capacity.
I have to say I had reservations of the ability of the small jumpstart packs to start any vehicle but have used a few with great success.

Cheers Stu
FollowupID: 904503

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 22:17

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2020 at 22:17
The easiest and no cost option is to use your car battery as you always have it. A healthy car battery will easily charge several phones. Being in a fire prone area you should always ensure your car battery is in 100% condition. If you need to charge phones, tablets, and computers over a longer period just run the engine to top the battery up and make sure it remains well charged. If you ever replace your vehicle battery make sure the replacement is of good quality and preferably with a higher capacity. As others have suggested if there are fires around, smoke cover can render solar blankets useless.
This is a KISS solution, all you need to ensure is the battery is not drained too much.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 629539

Sponsored Links