One for the crow eaters.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 21:36
ThreadID: 13960 Views:1802 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
In September we are doing a trip across the Anne Beadell to Coober Pedy. I then plan to go Oodnadatta, William Creek, Marree, Leigh Creek. We will then spend about 4 or 5 days in the Flinders before going to Clare Valley, McLaren Vale for provisions, then a few days in Adelaide. We will then return to Perth via Yorke and Eyre Peninsulas. Firstly, regarding permits, I realise I need 4x for Anne Beadell but will I need any others. Secondly any thoughts on the tour such as "must see this!"
We will be away for about a month. Thanks in advance for yoursuggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 17:51
No permits required after the Anne Beadell or east of Coober......just bring your passport..hahahaha
AnswerID: 64239

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 22:40

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 22:40
So Willem, does this mean I don't need a Desert Parks Pass Pack. I believe you can get another permit to use in it's place should you only wish to traverse that section of the Anne Beadell.(Transit Pass or something similar). Appreciate your reply! Regarding the passport, I'm an honorary citizen of SA, my grandmother used to live at Notts Well via Waikerie !!!

Regards,

Slim.
FollowupID: 325410

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:03
Slim,

I was replying to a specific question ie William Creek, Leigh Creek, Flinders Ranges etc where no permits are required apart from National Park entry and camping fees. If you are going to wander off into Deserts Areas from there then you do need a Desert Parks Pass.

When travelling the Anne Beadell you need permits from Maralinga Tjarutja Inc and Woomera Prohibited Area.

My passport quip was related to WA citizens thinking they live in another country and not being part of Oz :-)))
FollowupID: 325449

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:35
Willem,
In this state we have the option of paying NP access on an annual basis which allows unlimited access to all NPs in WA, do you have anything similar? Western Australians believing they are not part of Australia? Not a suggestion that I've ever heard before. Parochial??...... Maybe!!
Regards

Slim.
FollowupID: 325453

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:48
Slim

Yes we have the Desert Parks Pass of course and a Statewide Parks Pass. I buy the combined one annually which costs around $135 per annum on renewal. It is well worth it as I visit quite a few parks throughout the year.

The WA comment is a bit of tongue in cheek.........:-) Never heard of it before? It is old hat. Never mind..................
FollowupID: 325456

Reply By: Member - Frank - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:21

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:21
I traveled the ann bedel in march this year the worst is the last 250 kms of corigations a flag is recomended but you will have difficulty seeing any one sa side werstern australia side very good if camping near boader there is a new facility on the western side just before the border toilets and all

please take care there are a lot of washouts, you can see them if traveling slow but if have rush of blood you could be in serious trouble we averaged 26 kms per hour on the sa side and our top speed on this side was 56 kms dont know here cant rememder geting that fast anywhere

david has an exelent site on this trip but could use some updating regarding the new facillitys in the unknown park you may be able to help him there it was my first trip with gps my mate just brought one and cameras kept forgetting we had them, shows what a couple of old farts we are, never needed them nice toys but

allow extra time on sa side you will need it and remember that camera we spent that much time doging forgot to use them

if have time try to fit in mt ive on way home in gawler ranges eyre peninsular

will be in birdsville for races in september first week but if want to have counter tea one night when in adelaide contact me when closer and plans more set and will give phone number

best places to see do it all you wont want to miss it it is maybe the last of the isolated trips we were the first in six weeks because of the hot weather as I said davids recomendations are good but signs hard to see

frank
AnswerID: 64250

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 22:35

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 22:35
Frank,

Thanks for the info about the trip. How long did it take you to travel Laverton to Coober Pedy and how long did you drive on a daily basis? Thanks for the offer regarding counter tea. I'll contact you again closer to our trip date.

Regards,

Slim.
FollowupID: 325407

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:54

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 19:54
Drop in for a chat and a cuppa when you're in Oodnadatta. Can give you details in Member Message if you like.

Cheers
John W
Oodnadatta
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 64264

Reply By: hof - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:31

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:31
recomend , sky track in Flinders, Arkarola[even better], Innes NP at bottom of Yorks and Coffin Bay NP on Eyres
AnswerID: 64315

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:17

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:17
Thanks hof, I'll put them all in the note book.

Regards,

Slim.
FollowupID: 325444

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:32
Barossa Valley is pretty good for full-bodied provisions
Just back from Kangaroo Is which is pretty spectacular but it deserves a trip of its own especially as the ferry trip is expensive.
Winter will find it pretty rough weather-wise too. But plan to include it in another trip.
Camper
AnswerID: 64472

Reply By: Member - Frank - Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:28

Sunday, Jul 04, 2004 at 21:28
it took 3 full days to do from cooperpedy to wa border thats from sunup till sundown more than we thought averaged 26 kms an hour, then two days to rawlina track pretty good turned south at neals junction then came back along railway to maralinga no road along here only tracks and you have to stay off the rail right of way altogeather we were away 10 days had to leave track at maralinga and head south to civiszalation ( bad foot ) traveled 9 and half days without seeing a moving car trains dont count we went from maraling to adelaide in one go (on antibiotics by then) left at daylight arrived in adelaide about 11pm to long were stuffed

intend to do from neals junction to laverton in a year or so health permiting
AnswerID: 66440

Sponsored Links