Caravaning from Bairnsdale to Corryong

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 11:56
ThreadID: 139641 Views:9887 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can i have some feedback please on the road from Bairnsdale to Corryong via Omeo. I'm towing a 24ft - 3 ton van with 200 series diesel. What is the road like understanding the fires have had an impact but more interested if towing is an issue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kenell - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:50

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:50
The road has certainly been impacted by the fires as you say. According to the Vicroads website it is currently closed and I should imagine it will be closed for some time as it is a significant distance to clear (and probably a lower priority than others in the area). As an alternative you could go to Tallangatta via Anglers Rest out of Omeo then across to Corryong. That road looks like it is open but personally I wouldn't tow a heavy van on either of them. I have towed a light camper on the Tallangatta road and was holding my breath on a few corners. Steep and narrow in many parts is probably the best description for both of them.
I appreciate that one mans wine is another mans poison and you might tow where I wouldn't but having to make quick decisions on blind and narrow bends with a big load following doesn't do wonders for one's hair colour. It is or at least was beautiful country and a great drive without a chaser. Good luck with your decision.
AnswerID: 629908

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 15:32

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 15:32
You may also find that older timber bridges got burnt like they did a few years ago at Waroona.
FollowupID: 905061

Reply By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:53

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:53
I have no idea what the fires have done to that area but we did Bright to Bairnsdale back in 2015 towing our 2500kg van behind the D-Max. We did this around April/May and stopping at the top it was about 0 ? and followed the Great Alpine Way.

It is blacktop all the way and I would guess that the Omeo Highway would also be sealed.

Great drive but there are many turns and a few steep climbs. I found it better to use the box in manual mode as I was able to see what the best gear would be needed before the auto even knew that it would need to change down. Where you can, try and get the speed up to help getting airflow though the cooling system. I think your size van with a 200 series should be a good match, I was glad that our van was not any heavier.

I would love to do this drive as the roads are very boring over here in WA.

If you have a look on Google Maps, you can do a street view at any place along that road.
AnswerID: 629909

Reply By: Erad - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 15:42

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 15:42
The road from Bairnsdale to Omeo is fairly winding but generally doesn't have too many steep bits in it. From Omeo to Nariel and thence on to Corryong, the road is a typical Victorian mountain road - winding and relatively narrow with a few short steep bits in it. Timber trucks use it all the time (except probably in the National Park). It all depends on the ability and attitude of the driver - keep well to your own side of the road, expect on-coming traffic at any time and probably on your side of the road as well, and take your time. Of course, the road is unsealed, and after the fires, who knows what the surface will be like. I would expect that the visibility will be greatly enhanced because all the undergrowth will have been cleared out by the fires. At one point, there are spectacular views- East to the Snowy Mountains including Kosciuszko, and West to Mt Bogong and depending on how bad the fires have been, you should be able to see down into Dartmouth Dam as well. Depending on when you go, it will probably still be very smokey and you own't see a thing....
AnswerID: 629912

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 13:15

Thursday, Feb 06, 2020 at 13:15
Vic Roads show the Omeo to Nariel road as still closed. Closed from Benambra to Staceys Bridge.
FollowupID: 905074

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 16:23

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 16:23
Omeo to coryong is rough stony rd .
Road to tallang is bitu all way but narrow and very windy at omeo end the best route is via hotham to bright.
I tow a 21.6 van over and back Hotham way with 200ser and use manual model.
Check with Vic roads or omeo police or corryong for closures. after bright u could go to mt beauty then tallang to corryong .
Cheers happy safe driving
AnswerID: 629913

Reply By: Nifty1 - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 16:42

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2020 at 16:42
I I have travelled all those roads in the last year or so. I suggest the Omeo to Nariel Road is not a great idea, even if it is open. The road through Anglers Rest is very narrow and twisty (and often plagued by mad motorcyclists) and I reckon your best bet is the Omeo to Bright run which takes you over Mt Hotham. It is a most spectacular drive - take your time and stop to enjoy the vistas. Camps, if you want, are in Omeo, or at Victoria River Falls. And that road is definitely open.
AnswerID: 629914

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Feb 07, 2020 at 12:52

Friday, Feb 07, 2020 at 12:52
I'm a motorcyclist that often rides the Omeo highway and can guarantee you that you can't tow a rig that length without repeatedly crossing onto the wrong side of the road.
Does that make me mad on a blind corner?
It doesn't any longer. I'm used to seeing 4WDers out of their depth.
FollowupID: 905086

Sponsored Links