Pajero suitability as a 'tug'

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 11, 2020 at 12:26
ThreadID: 139668 Views:7996 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Comment for the record On Pajero capability as a tug.
For anyone interested, I felt it might be a bit of help to researchers seeking opinions on certain vehicles to meet their towing or travel needs – here is my 2 cents worth. We have switched from Pajero’s for the past 13 years to the Ford Ranger ute – and the key to the swap is the functionality of ‘the ute’.

After several decades of getting about in utes – mostly in the Kimberley but a couple since shifting to Perth – when the time arrived that economics suggested we should become a one vehicle family, the chosen vehicle was the Pajero – to serve as the ‘shopping trolley’ and the ‘tug’ for our succesive caravans.

After taking the 2007 NP model from 70,000 km to 230,000 and the NW from 17,000 to 130,000 and probably using them for towing at least 25% of the time I can state emphatically that they are ideal for the mixed roles. The engine and transmission are ideal in any condition and cannot fault them. My only issue experienced was with the speedo being rather obscured and could easily be improved with a digital version. I also have to admit the dash vibrates considerably on the likes of GRR corrugations if you don’t adjust tyre pressure to suit the conditions.

The swap has come about because Jill has inherited her father’s sedan and I feel we could manage our travel loading better with a ‘beaut ute’. I would have been happy to stick with the Mitsubishi stable, but feel the Triton pulls up a bit short with only 2.4 litres and as for the even smaller version (which somehow won an award as ute of the year with a two litre motor and ten gears to get to the top end), but feel both would be working far too hard to deal with the current van weight which is getting close to 3 tonne. So with the 3.2 litre being a proven motor to do the job, the field narrowed down considerably and with my advancing years, the lure of a few extra creature comforts the Ranger offered an attractive opportunity and a ‘demo’ offer sealed the deal. With a bit of luck & and the assistance of the odd pills, this should see me out for the next few years.

I only have mates’ recommendations on the Rangers to go on, and I have traveled with them, but my point is - should anyone wish to check the reliability of the Pajero for towing up to the 3.0 tonne mark, in my opinion, it is a top choice and I do not doubt for a moment that many EO members have had similar admirable benefits from chariots of their choice.

Happy motoring fellow travellers - regards, Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: MarkHugh - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2020 at 18:14

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2020 at 18:14
Nice to hear the good report Phil. We had a Pajero years ago and all that ever went wrong was a squeak in the driver's door glass which was easily fixed during one service!

Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 630014

Reply By: Winner W - Thursday, Feb 13, 2020 at 08:31

Thursday, Feb 13, 2020 at 08:31
We have both the NX Pajero and a 2019 Ranger .
Both are great vehicles . The Pajero is a brilliant all rounder with no gimmicks .
AnswerID: 630025

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:06

Thursday, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:06
Thanks Winner - looks like you have all the bases covered.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 905248

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Feb 13, 2020 at 17:31

Thursday, Feb 13, 2020 at 17:31
Love our NS which is just coming up to 300k and still runs so well. Perfect as a tug too. Re the new 2.4 motor in the Triton/Pajero Sport, I drove a mate's new Triton a few weeks ago and was very impressed by the amount of grunt the new 2.4 diesel has. But, I wasn't towing anything at the time. Nevertheless, the Triton had more go than the NS has (and we have an ECU remap giving us 30% more torque).
AnswerID: 630034

Reply By: Gbc.. - Sunday, Feb 16, 2020 at 08:43

Sunday, Feb 16, 2020 at 08:43
Keep the ranger away from dealers, change the auto box oil every 50-60 k km, and it will treat you well.
AnswerID: 630074

Sponsored Links