Installing coil rite air helper springs

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:05
ThreadID: 13977 Views:2998 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Could some one please help me with some advice re installing firestone coil rite air helper springs to an 80 series cruiser?

The destructions say "after the air spring has been installed into the coil spring, place the converted overload bumper on top of the coil spring with the air line routed through the hole in the centre" (were the bolt that held it in place used to be).

Am I to understand that you do not bolt the converted overload bumper back into place and allow it to sit freely on top of the air helper spring? what holds it in place - the air bag?

Also I have OME coils with a 2" above standard lift, will I need spacer blocks?

any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:34

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 15:34
Hi Ruff:

I just finished installing mine (for the second time) on the weekend.

You are correct - you do not put the bolt back in. (I did ... hence the reinstall). I turned them upside down to use the hole at the bottom, but the movement caused it to leak air.

Once you let your vehicle down off the jacks, it all compacts up and stays firm. Whilst there may be movement at the base of the coil spring area, the top seems to stay still. It took a bit of juggling to get the airline to feed through the bolt hole, but I got there in the end.

Another tip - make sure that you do cut the blue air line perfectly square - I had mine a little off square and it did not seat properly, giving me yet another leak.

I can't help you much with the need for spacer blocks. Someone else may have the lowdown on that.

But mine are in - I am happy - and I have noticed a significant decrease in body roll. Ihave them running at 10psi at the moment, but will reduce that to about 5psi once I am happy they don't leak.

Incidentally - I had the devil's own job trying to get a fix on pressure using my "all singing, all dancing" VDO gauge. so I went and bought a digital gauge on Saturday. They read down to 1 psi.

Hope this helps ...

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 64212

Follow Up By: Ruffstuff - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:45

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:45
Hi jack, thanks for the reply.

Looks like i will have to make some spacers to compensate for the 2" lift, or perhapds leave the bump stops 2" 's longer.

hopefully once in, they will solve my sag problem when fully loaded.

This is a cheaper option than doing a complete suspension re-fit.

regards.
ruffstuff
FollowupID: 325463

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:49

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:49
Hi Ruff:

My thoughts are that you would only need to cut the stops 2" longer than specified on the instructions. They only just sit there, and perhaps help locate the air line.

Mine are working fine now, after a false start or two.

Cheers
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 325486

Sponsored Links