camper

Submitted: Monday, Mar 23, 2020 at 20:12
ThreadID: 139829 Views:10694 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
how do i clean the ingrained red dust and dirt on the canvas on my camper,soap and hot water will not do it,? will it need water proofing after treatment? thanks for future answers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps - Monday, Mar 23, 2020 at 20:31

Monday, Mar 23, 2020 at 20:31
Barry,

Check out thread 54080

Regards
AnswerID: 630676

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Mar 23, 2020 at 20:32

Monday, Mar 23, 2020 at 20:32
Hi Barry

The recommended way to clean the canvas is to use clean water and a soft brush. Unfortunately this doesn't remove red dust. Actually, nothing really does, so just wear it as a badge of honour !

If you have to re-proof your canvas the product below is recommended.
Cheers
Jim

http://www.waxcon.com.au/spec_sheets/Dynaproofed_A4_Brochure.pdf

Go to Waxcon and there you'll find the product and where you can buy it.
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630677

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Mar 23, 2020 at 22:39

Monday, Mar 23, 2020 at 22:39
I had a KK that copped a blast from the dust storm sweeping across the state ( NSW ) in 2009 . When I got home I soaked the camper, one side at a time. Not damp or wet, soaked. Then I started with the hose from the top and literally hosed the dust downwards. Then with the help of a soft brush, I did it again. Came up almost brand new again.
But that was after only a week, don't know how you'd go if the canvas has been like that for mths or longer.
AnswerID: 630679

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 08:57

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 08:57
Try CT18 truck wash, I have had good success with it but I don't quite follow their instructions.

Wet the area and then spay on the diluted CT18. Wait a good while but don't let it dry, I then use a brush and water from top to bottom.

Hope you have success removing it.
AnswerID: 630683

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:19

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:19
My experience with CT 18 is that it strips all the wax off auto paint so I would expect it to strip all the sealing wax from canvas.
If you use CT18, I would reproof the canvas .
I have found that regardless of how dirty the canvas gets , it will be cleaned by a good rain storm next time camping.
With regard to red dust, even the zinc galvanizing on my camper trailer is now red (ish). As stated a badge of Honour.
FollowupID: 906166

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:53

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:53
Barry - You'll never get red dust stain out of canvas, without damaging the cotton or linen fabric it is made from.
The red dust staining is superfine particles of iron oxide, that become chemically bonded to the fabric.

If you desire to remove the staining, it must be done chemically with a harsh acid, which weakens the fabric.

All red dust remover compounds contain an array of organic and inorganic acids of varying strength. Some (CT18) also contain Sodium Hydroxide, otherwise known as caustic soda or lye. Caustic soda seriously weakens canvas, and shortens its lifespan.

These acid compounds, and compounds with caustic soda in them, are O.K. for metal surfaces, but they tend to damage paint, and will certainly damage fabrics.

Once red dust staining gets into canvas, you're stuck with it for the life of the canvas.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 630688

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 18:09

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 18:09
Did you read my post above....I had almost 100% success with removing red dust.
FollowupID: 906187

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 18:51

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 18:51
Gronk - I saw and read your post. However, dust from a passing dust storm landing on canvas is not necessarily the same as the red gravel dust and iron ore dust thrown up, when travelling over an extended period - and which red gravel dust/iron dust also has a greater iron oxide content, and an extended time in contact with the canvas, to aid in chemically fixing it to the canvas.

I've spent a number of decades in the mining industry, operating and cleaning the vehicles and equipment therein, and after a short time in contact with any surface - be it paint, metal, plastic, or canvas - the iron oxides become firmly bonded to the underlying substrate, and 98% of the time, only treatment with a chemical cleaner will remove it.

There are literally dozens of businesses out there with a wide range of chemical cleaners, all designed to attack the red gravel dust/iron dust problem.

If it was easy to get the red dust staining out, there wouldn't be the range of chemical cleaners on the market, all specifically designed to treat the problem.

The problem is, there is no chemical cleaner that is safe to use on canvas.
You can buy Starbrite Sail and Canvas cleaner, which is a concoction designed to clean canvas - but it only contains alcohol ethoxylate, an emulsifier and surfactant, and pentasodium triphosphate, the basic ingredient of all laundry/washing powders.

On that basis, scrubbing your stained canvas with a bucketful of water containing a scoop of laundry powder - and then hosing it and scrubbing it again with clean water, is about the best result you can end up with.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 906191

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 19:56

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 19:56
I only posted what worked for me. My KK was dust proof, so dust from the road never worried me !
The time I was camped ( West Wyalong van park ), the missus said why don't we get a cabin for the night...knowing the 90K winds and dust was coming. I said she'll be right !! lol
FollowupID: 906193

Reply By: Member - Sanantone - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 16:07

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2020 at 16:07
Get the missus to tackle it while you go and have a beer??
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630692

Sponsored Links