What part

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:35
ThreadID: 139841 Views:11702 Replies:5 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
What part of 'do not travel ' , what part of 'closed' , what part of 'self isolation' is SO difficult for people to comprehend ? Out my way , which relies on 'tourism' and thegrey nomad migration every year for a part of the areas survival WE are SHUT , we do not have [as yet] 1 confirmed case of the virus , WE DO NOT have the capacity in our health services , be it the clinic , the hospital , even the chemist for an outbreak.....our resources at this time are already stretched ....all the 'touristy' bits people come to the region for are CLOSED , STAY HOME, pull the maps out , plan a double length trip for when the virus has run its course be it in 6 months or next year or even longer ..... stay safe ...
Back Expand Un-Read 15 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 17:49

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 17:49
Unfortunately some of us just cant go home, we are "travellers" and are stuck in YOUR community, maybe you should consider that. Yes i agree it is not a time to head off on a trip, those people need to stay home. People in your situation need to stop and consider the others that dont have a home to run off to.
AnswerID: 630733

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:08

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:08
What part do you NOT understand ? DO NOT TRAVEL means just that , Stay where you are , if your already camped in Broome STAY THERE , IF your sitting on the banks of the Murray river STAY THERE , how hard is that to put across to 'travellers' .....No virus moves by itself , people move it .........
FollowupID: 906258

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:08

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:08
Yes a real bugger if you live on the East coast and travelling from the West (or visa versa), and have to self quarantine for 2 weeks in each State that you need to travel through to get home. Ok if there is a decent town location to spin your wheels in for 2 weeks but if stuck on the Nullarbor, Grt Central Rd or Victoria Hwy there isn't much around. I can see that there will be a need for travel permits being issued for people to cross borders stamped and dated so as to provide some sort of proof of isolation etc. Something else for the powers that be to sort out. Who's to say when your 2wks are up and where you self isolated. Glad at this time to be stuck in my office grabbing a 5 min break. Nowhere near as stressful as those trying to get home.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 906259

Follow Up By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:16

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:16
Alloy c/t

We would love to stay put, the problem is small minded people in small minded towns are closing down the caravan parks and camping areas and moving us on, paranoia is taking over. I know of one IGA (the only shop
in the town) that is only going to serve locals.
FollowupID: 906261

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:21

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:21
I have an acquaintance who might share your pain Len.

She leftHervey Bay on March 5 bound for the Kimberley.

She has certainly been overtaken by events.

She sped up her travels through WA in a bid to get the Kimberley and hopefully drop anchor for a few weeks (or now months maybe) until things settle and last I heard earlier in the week she was in Coral Bay. Hope she finds somewhere nice.

Travelling home is not really an option.

Stay safe people.
FollowupID: 906262

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:21

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:21
Rural doctors want grey nomads to stay at home

https://www.katherinetimes.com.au/story/6699127/go-home-grey-nomads-says-rural-doctors-president/?cs=9397
FollowupID: 906263

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:28

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:28
The Kimberley is off limits to tourists from tonight

Kimberley closed
FollowupID: 906264

Follow Up By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:29

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:29
Rocco2010. we are currently in Coral Bay, have been told we have to leave, those who are saying DONT travel are the ones forcing us to travel, hope your friend is ok, tell her to head back to Carnarvon, they are a bit more friendly and helpfull for those of us that are stranded, Not so for tourists though.

Rowdy6032, Grey nomads are tourists and should stay home, some of us have been travelling for extended time, 5 years in our case and dont have a home to go back to, we are the ones that want to and need to stay put somewhere but are gettting kicked out.
FollowupID: 906265

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:41

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:41
Len & Rhonda Not having a go at you mate, just pointing out the reasons that the caravan parks are closing. These small communities will not be able to cope if Covid19 breaks out. Hope things work out for you.
Regards
FollowupID: 906266

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:48

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:48
A quick look shows the Capricorn Caravan Park in Carnarvon is accepting travellers in your situation according to their Facebook.
FollowupID: 906267

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:51

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 18:51
My friend has just checked in. She is in Broome where the pearl and dress shops are still open. She is staying put for a while.
FollowupID: 906268

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 20:37

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 20:37
Len & Ronda, go to the local coppers and explain your predicament. As you are in Coral bay tell them you are not travellers, but some people who have been caught between a rock and a hard face. If you have to leave ask the cops to give you a reference and explanation for your next destination.

I am sure they will let the IGA and wherever you are parked up a suggestion that they look after you.

Places that don't want anyone in or out can and should stop health workers, fuel, freight, cattle trucks and small goods deliveries, property owners as many have planes and locals that are returning home, they can all bring the virus in.

Guess they think that's different.

I feel for, as I am seeing some pretty sad Australian responses to this from all round this country.
FollowupID: 906271

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 20:45

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 20:45
Think you will find the local coppers are in Exmouth an hour and a half away.
Carnarvon 2 and a half hours away.
FollowupID: 906272

Follow Up By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 21:19

Thursday, Mar 26, 2020 at 21:19
9900 eagle & Rowdy6032, I spoke to the local coppers this morning, they are not interested as yet, according to the officer that I spoke to it is a health matter and not a policing matter "yet".
We are moving to the Winter Sun caravan park in Carnarvon who are only taking "travellers" and backpackers and not tourists, they are also doing a very reasonable rate $35pn with power. It is great to see that some parks are looking after us, and hopefully we "travellers" will return the favor when normality is back on the agenda. In the mean time hopefully people will have a little thought for those of us stuck between a stone and a hard place. just a little something for thought is that there are currently 10000 French backpackers in Oz in the same predicament and that is only 1 nationality.
FollowupID: 906273

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 06:56

Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 06:56
Many “grey nomads” are just that, nomads. They have sold everything and their van/ RV is their home. The authorities need to consider people in this position, and make allowances for them. Where are they meant to “resupply” their water, food & fuel? I understand why the small rural communities are doing what they are doing, but we need to also be mindful of the true nomad, and their needs.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630744

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 08:44

Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 08:44
What is so hard , where they are is where they need to STAY , Our regional area has 5 towns , all have 'freedom parks' , all have caravan parks both private owned and council , all have 'show grounds for the inevitable 'overflow ' , ALL are CLOSED to NEW admissions ONLY .... what is so hard about that ?
FollowupID: 906277

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 16:17

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 16:17
As stated on another thread, I saw an ABC report that the locals in Longreach are slashing the tyres of interstate Caravans. Not helpful at all. Whilst I understand and accept that people should not be travelling. If the true nomads are told to leave, where are they expected to go?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906354

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 17:23

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 17:23
McLaren 3030 , I call BULLSHIT that there has even been 1 tyre slashed in Longreach ,Total 100% BULLSHIT , yes most of the town is SHUT , but even hick locals KNOW that slashing a tire does not get someone to move on , it gives them an 'excuse ' to stay longer .....Rumores , bullshit rumores... You want the facts Phone Longreach police Station , ask for Graham Seabrook ....
FollowupID: 906355

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 18:10

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 18:10
There are only two official records of tyres being slashed in Qld in the last week.

One is related to domestic violence/relationship disputes, when a woman found the tyres on her car slashed in Hinkler Central Shopping Centre in Bundaberg.

The other is a tyre slashing event in Dalby, where two juveniles were arrested on vandalism charges, 3 days ago, after a "drunken spree" involving the slashing of 9 vehicle tyres between 8:00 and 9:00PM on Wed night.

There are no official reports of tourists caravan tyres being slashed because of COVID-19 virus - it's a classic "news beat-up" - the media reports of the events, even use a "file photo" of a flat tyre!!

Typical major news media "fake news" designed to sell their papers and get people to click on their sites - which are always behind a paywall.

I refuse to pay news media for their rubbishy journalism, and hyperventilation over made-up "news articles".

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 906358

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2020 at 07:39

Sunday, Mar 29, 2020 at 07:39
My mistake, it was not an ABC report, it was from the Brisbane Times quoting Queensland Federal Minister David Littleproud, who stated travellers are facing angry locals, and have found their tyres were slashed.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 906372

Follow Up By: Griffin - Sunday, Mar 29, 2020 at 22:29

Sunday, Mar 29, 2020 at 22:29
Maybe Littleproud should be asked to name his sources.
FollowupID: 906389

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Mar 30, 2020 at 01:36

Monday, Mar 30, 2020 at 01:36
The story has gained traction worldwide, and in right-wing newspapers in the U.S. - who of course, are always in favour of vigilante action.

I have written to Littleproud, asking him to provide proof of his story - or provide an apology to the rural and Outback residents of Queensland.

Breitbart News - Vigilantes Slash Tyres of Coronavirus "Refugees" in Australia

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 906390

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:53

Monday, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:53
Reply, Mr. Ron N. We appreciate your correspondence as we are working hard and focused on providing Tier 1 services for all our community.

I might just take this point in time, to remind you of all the positive outcomes that I have achieved over the term of this government. I can assure you that my colleagues and myself are working very, very hard for yourself and others who vote for us.

I would like to point out, that at this time I can't divulge the source of story as it is not in the publics interest, due to the sensitivity of the covid 19 pandemic, be reassured, this government only releases accurate and up to date information as we strive to serve the Australian people.

If you require anymore information please contact The right honourable Mathias Cormann as he will answer any further questions. If you do contact Mr Cormann, he will be able to explaining detail why this news story was the all oppositions fault as far back as 1901.

Signed,
Dave "trust me" Littlefella.

FollowupID: 906393

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 14:32

Friday, Mar 27, 2020 at 14:32
Report on the radio, yet to be confirmed, the road into Coral Bay has been closed and a roadblock is in place at the Sandfire Roadhouse preventing travel.
AnswerID: 630757

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 19:00

Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 at 19:00
While the Stay Away From the Outback and the other associated thread has a reasonable message the same applies with some cities - when you country bumkins get sick, where will you end up - in city hospitals swamping our facilities - maybe we should stop country people being transferred to city facilities - and no, I dont actually mean that but is similar the the rhetoric being pushed by people on these threads.

I live in Canberra - not actually in NSW yet even in normal times our hospitals are swamped by people from southern NSW extending waiting times for all type of procedures - why cannot NSW deal with their own sick. As this virus spreads I can see our facilities being completely swamped by interstaters.

This view is similar to the vitriolic expressed here and particularly in the other thread.

Not understating the seriousness of the circumstances of the situation we find ourselves in but there is no reason to carry on like drama queens like some people are.

Yes stop moving around, stay at home, keep safe - accept that some people will have to stay in your outback communities, but just think what would happen if the ACT followed some of the selfish views espoused in these two threads and shut its borders and hospitals to people from southern NSW. Like many small towns, our medical facilities are barely adequate for our population, (the same as you little medical centre is barely adequate for your small country town) but we will not shut people out we will help.

Some people need to lighten up a bit and stop being drama queens - we all know how important this emergency is without people carrying on like pork chops.
AnswerID: 630778

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2020 at 10:14

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2020 at 10:14
OzzieCruiser – fair go mate. The ACT has by far the highest per capita incomes in Australia, the biggest slice of the cake, and generally excellent health facilities.
You say “I live in Canberra - not actually in NSW yet even in normal times our hospitals are swamped by people from southern NSW extending waiting times for all type of procedures - why cannot NSW deal with their own sick.” - Not very charitable, and utter rubbish anyway. Agreements are in place whereby TCH, The mainCanberra Hospital, acts as the main regional hospital for SE NSW, and is subsidised and reimbursed by NSW to do so. I live in NSW, 2km from the ACT and attitudes such as you’ve expressed don’t help foster amicable cross-border relationships. (A thought - returning most of the ACT to NSW might help to soften attitudes. You can keep the parliamentary triangle though!)
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 906423

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:24

Sunday, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:24
We found ourselves in a predicament. We have been away from home for around 2 years travelling with our Tvan. Most of that time has been in the north. We have been in FNQ since last September, house sitting. The last house sit came to an abrupt end, the owners returning prematurely from overseas on gov't advice & needing to self quarantine at home. Our plan had been to drive up Cape York for several months after that sit finished toward the end of April. We had just a few days notice to quit & nowhere to go. Caravan parks struck us as potentially dangerous places, & our usual freecamping style was effectively banned. Driving south to Victoria meant two border crossings each with 14 day quarantine, & the process of driving home through numerous communities not only felt like 'running the Covid 19 gauntlet', but also an irresponsible thing to do. (We had already been self isolating for a couple of weeks because it had felt like the socially responsible thing to do - before we were told we must do it). Thankfully, at very short notice we have landed ourselves a voluntary farm care-taking gig , available to us for as long as we want it. 40kms from the nearest town with a supermarket, & a good , private spot to continue to isolate ourselves. Driving the 120kms from Cairns to get here had us feeling very conspicuous with our Vic rego plates especially when passing LED roadside signs saying 'Essential Travel Only' ! The owner has promised us a letter confirming we are living here, just in case it's needed when we come to resupply. If any of the vigilantism mentioned in the media arises, we also have a vehicle here with Qld plates we can use. We are very lucky to now find ourselves in this position. It was a caretaking role offered to us last year that we had turned down in favour of another, but when we found ourselves in need, it was the only option we could come up with, other than returning home. The enquiry we made was responded to with "You can come as soon as you like". The owners have a remote cattle station 6 hours drive from here, & use this place for brief stays when they need to come to town, which isn't often. Many folk will be in similar situations to that we found ourselves in & I feel for them. In the Covid 19 era having nowhere to be is not nice at all. It is made worse by some attitudes where instead of 'We are all in this together' it is 'Every man for himself' which is very sad. If Covid 19 had happened 30+ years ago I believe the community response would have been far different to todays. There are many pockets of kindness (we found one) , and they are shining examples to be followed by the majority if we are all to come through this in the best way possible.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 630783

Sponsored Links