GU PATROLDIY DRIVING LIGHT INSTALLATION

Submitted: Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 20:08
ThreadID: 13991 Views:3773 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

My husband wishes to install driving lights on to factory Ti bar of GU Patrol and was wondering how hard it was to run the cables into firewall etc. I recalled reading something on this a while back but cannot find the archive. can anyone recall before he starts wrecking my car!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 20:40

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 20:40
Running cables into the firewall???

You only need to go into the grill and splice into the headlight wiring. not really hard.
You DO need 1 wire to go thru a rubber grommet to the dashboard for an on off switch.
AnswerID: 64276

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:14

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:14
G'day Jo,

Truckster has mentioned about the need to run a wire (or 2) through the firewall to a switch. That's true. The best place to run it is through the rubber grommet under the dash, above the accelerator. If you or your husband can contort yourself/himself under the dash, you'll see a large bundle of cables going through the firewall. I suggest you get a wire coat hanger (or similar) and straighten it out as much as you can. In one end, bend a tight "U" bend, about 10mm long. Insert the other end through the grommet (carefully) and you'll see it come out in the engine bay underneath the brake master cylinder. Attach a double cable (eg: speaker wire....it doesn't have to be heavy gauge for this part of the job) to the "U" and cover it with insulation tape so it won't pull off the wire, nor catch on the other cables.
The 2 separate ends of the speaker wire will go to a switch on the dash (use one of the plastic blanks available).
Then the wires can be used in conjunction with a suitable relay and heavy gauge wiring to wire-up the driving lights.
Make sure you hook them into the high beam wire of the standard headlights, so that your driving lights will only work when the vehicle's high beam is on; and will automatically switch-off when you dip your headlights.
Good luck,
AnswerID: 64287

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:10

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:10
Roachie,

Very eloquent instructions, they won't have any trouble with it now. Do the same thing myself, only I use black welding wire, and tape.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 325445

Follow Up By: Jo - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 16:40
Thanks so much for all you help everyone, I will pass it all onto my hubby. Im sure with all the info. provided we shoulnt have to many problems.
FollowupID: 325670

Reply By: Brew69 - Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:44

Monday, Jun 21, 2004 at 21:44
Roachie has it spot on. It is really easy to do and he won't wreck your car. The part about hooking up to high beam is not only correct but illegal if you don't. You can get defected if you get a cop on the wrong day. At the end of the day if your husband can't do it he can bail out and then get an auto sparky to finish the job.

The Brewman
AnswerID: 64290

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 07:34

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 07:34
Just remember to use a relay and dont use those crappy white pvc inline fuse holders with the red wire (the screw together black ones are ok).....
AnswerID: 64322

Reply By: madcow - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:17

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:17
Why not talk to your dealer and check out the orginal loom made for the job. Cost I think is about $80.00? which comes with everything you require including a switch for the dash. It may save a bit of time and you can plug into existing wiring. There would be a provision for this it is only a matter of finding out where the plug ins are.

cheers
AnswerID: 64327

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:53

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:53
Jo,

Repco sell "Ziel" driving light looms for about $40 or $50. There are instructions with the kit and make life a lot easier for installing driving lights.

In fact, the hardest part will be running the wires to the switch on the dashboard.
AnswerID: 64403

Sponsored Links