Bullfinch to Goonarrie Station

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 23, 2020 at 05:14
ThreadID: 139931 Views:9467 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi New to EXPLOROZ how is everyone
Got a question for those that might know
In the WA treks there is one I'd like to do through the gold fields
Bullfinch to Goonarrie Station
On the first part of the trek "Lake Julia" it appears that you have to cross a railway line to travel along the Rail access road ??? Not really viable or legal I would have thought, especially as this rail line then crosses the lake. Not showing where this is possible.
Then at Koolyanobbing (an Active mining town)
It looks like this trek then enters onto the active mine site following Haul roads and crossing a major Haul road. Coming from the mining industry , not something id like to do.
Most of the rest of the trek looks to be fairly safe (not going to say easy)
Just asking also if anyone else on this forum has done this trek in the last 5 years
any helpful info would be great
Oh and yes i know i cant do it at the moment before i get jumped on

Thanks Borbo

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Thursday, Apr 23, 2020 at 22:29

Thursday, Apr 23, 2020 at 22:29
I went a long that road from the Bullfinch and a couple of years ago and it's a great drive. I didn't do to whole length as I turned south at Kurrajong Rockhole. Don't worry about the lakes, railway lines or mining areas as they all have a tracks running though them, sometimes right along side a haul roads. Take time to camp around the Helena and Aurora Ranges as it's a fascinating place. Camping is mainly on the north side of the range and there are plenty of sites. You can travel along the railway line as lots of people do, although it has some signs around saying it's a workplace (Westrail) and keep off. One thing you will need to be aware of if it rains and you're on the orange/brown soil it will turn to the thickest goopy mud.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 631168

Reply By: Ozjourney - Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 13:51

Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 13:51
In July 2018 we turned off the highway at Yellowdine and up to Koolyanobbing then up into the Helena and Aurora Ranges , Mt Manning and on to Paynes Find. You drive right through the minesite but there was a sign to the Aurora ranges.
It’s pretty quiet out there no sign of anyone for the week we were there, not really the place for the inexperienced. No problems with the tracks unless it rains. Really nice country and constantly changing, one minute your in a Salmon gum woodland then Mallee, then Pine.
Highly recommend it.
AnswerID: 631170

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 15:46

Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 15:46
To get to Helena and Aurora Range you drive through Koolyanobbing till you get to the haul road. Turn right and travel a short distance and then turn left onto what was then a signposted track.

It travels close to the haul road for a short distance then heads off towards the range.

Was out there 12 months ago after rain and we had some hairy moments.

It's really great country and well worth a visit.

Cheers
AnswerID: 631171

Reply By: Rod W6 - Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 20:46

Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 20:46
In this link - www.george4wd.taskled.com/#done - under Recent Trips Done you will find a lot of info on your particular area and then some.
AnswerID: 631174

Reply By: Dusta - Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 23:27

Friday, Apr 24, 2020 at 23:27
Helena and aurora is a must for camping, you simply cannot stop for a night and watch sunset from the top of the range . Breathtaking
AnswerID: 631177

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:46

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:46
There is no Goonarrie Station. There is a Goongarrie Station, Goongarrie National Park and Lake Goongarrie.

If people took some care to ensure they are spelling and writing place names properly, then it stops constant, repeated, and increasing errors creeping in everywhere on the internet.

People from all around the world read what you write, and copy it verbatim. Thus, place name errors become a parallel standard name, and people start to become confused.

I constantly see people misspelling place names, in blogs, in forums, in their publications.
I have just seen Warburton spelled Warbuton on a major website advertising Outback 4WD travel (and a large red sand dune).

It's high time people who write about places, put in some effort to ensure place name errors are eliminated.

It's bad enough that even in the old days, they had up to 4 or 5 spellings of place names as they tried to convert Aboriginal names to English.
But in todays electronic world, information is reliant on standardised correct place names.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 631190

Reply By: Geof C - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 12:37

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 12:37
spot on Ron N. that's the reason so many get confused and sometimes lost when they get off the beaten track. with wrong spelling and different sounding names it is a recipe for disaster in remote areas.
AnswerID: 631194

Reply By: Greg B30 - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 23:40

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 23:40
well thanks for the helpful advise from a few
and to those that get hung up on missing a G well all i can say is
Im so glad that those people have key boards
and that those people have never ever made a slight spelling mistake
life is great to be so so perfect

and with that i will now find my way, my way
and EXPLOROZ can have its friendly people to themselves

enjoy your travels people
hope our tracks never cross

AnswerID: 631213

Reply By: John Baas - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:24

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 02:24
Hi Greg B30.

Wow, so precious. You have received superb advice on this Forum. And, it's not even close to belittling you for pointing out a spelling error. Given that you're replicating an internet spelling virus...

So, so.oooo sad we'll nvr meet, again on this Forum...

Anyway, to continue in the helpful advice you are receiving here, your use of 'advise' is incorrect in the context- 'advice' is correct.

May your way proceed as planned...

Cheers.

JB.
AnswerID: 631216

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 10:35

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 10:35
Might want have a look at a new key board John. Your "o" key seems to be faulty.
Dave.
FollowupID: 907183

Follow Up By: Dusta - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 22:57

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 22:57
and nvr is actually spelt with two e's john . Especially if you are trying to be a smart arse .
FollowupID: 907194

Follow Up By: John Baas - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 23:21

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 23:21
strewth Dusta; no need to be so picky... 'nvr' is a texting contraction for 'never' - see https://www.noslang.com/search/nvr :-).

...and, shouldn't "smart arse" take a hyphen?

Cheers.

JB.
FollowupID: 907195

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 07:55

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 07:55
Oh no! Not the spelling / grammar crap again!
FollowupID: 907197

Sponsored Links