Tekonsha Prodigy owners

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 06:44
ThreadID: 13997 Views:2894 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have just installed a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller in the Cruiser and am trying to acertain if it is installed correctly.
I do not have my Camper yet to fully test but will have it by the end of the week.

It all looks Ok as per the manual except for one point.

It says after successfully wiring your Prodigy you should see the following:
Without trailer connected.

1. Power to the Prodigy without trailer connected : ( n.c ) flashes for 15 seconds then changes to ( . . ). It does this Ok indicating power to the unit is fine.

2. When Manual knob activated without trailer you should see ( n.c ) on the display.

Point 2 is where I am having trouble. I dont see the ( n.c )(Not connected) but I hear the sound of a relay or something inside the Prodigy and a single digit of the seven segment display light up breifly. It may be normal but the Manual says I should see the ( n.c ) light up.
Could someone please tell me what there unit does when the Manual knob is activated without trailer connected. Or who I could ring who is knowlegable on the Tekonsha Prodigy.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:04

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:04
Hey there Cruisin, I have a Prodigy as well, and it does exactly the same thing, which made me think I'd buggered it up when wiring it up, or that it wasn't working. But it works fine when the trailer is connected, fantastic actualy. I don't know what the problem is but I'm hoping it's pretty normal.
AnswerID: 64338

Follow Up By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:18

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:18
You dont know how good that makes me feel hearing that. I was dreading going down the warranty path. Funny thing is that I actually called Tekonsha Tech support in the USA and they had not heard of the problem. Mind you the lady was not technical and she was going to talk to her supervisor about it and get back to me. Mate is this the only time that the display does not read what the manual says it should, or are there others.
It was the way that the display flicked on briefly whilst pressing the manual lever and the click, that made me think something was wrong.

Do you get the ( .C.) when your trailer is connected.

Anything else you can add ???

Cheers and thanks again
FollowupID: 325452

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:36

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:36
I know exactly how you feel regarding the warranty path. Knowing you installed it yourself makes you think they will just say "tough luck you must have cooked it", especialy with the instructions warning you of all the things you could do wrong and kill the bloody thing.

I was worried about mine, thinking I'd blown $300, until I actualy connected the trailer, then it worked great. I like the manual lever for lighting up the brake lights, great for any D**k head tail gaters. Apart from that I usualy leave mine disconnected and in the bag, and put a bit of tape over the plug to make sure it doesnt get any rubbish in it.

Haven't got much else to add except they seem to be fantastic units, something else to play with, it is kinda cool the way the readout works when you apply the brakes too.

Have you, or anyone else got theirs installed close to the uhf? I can't remember if it was on the Prodigy installation instructions, or some other Tekonsha brake controller instructions, where I read the unit must be at least 12 inches from communication equipment. Anyone have any info or advice on that.
FollowupID: 325482

Reply By: nrb1748 - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:41

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:41
The sound of the relay is normal. Your vehicle brake lights should operate at the same time.
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 64347

Reply By: GaryW - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:09

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:09
I also have a prodigy and it is also the same (no n.c.) - have had it on a Jeep and now LC100 2 different installers both the same.

The n.c. comes up when trailer is connected then disconnects. I had a problem a week or so ago with the trailer plug - n.c. came up to warn me. Great job.

Seems like yours is OK - best test is when camper is connected. Does it engage when you slide manual control.

They are a fantastic controller.

Gaz
AnswerID: 64405

Follow Up By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:23

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:23
Thanks for that Gary.

Forums are fantastic for this sort of thing. Might have even returned the unit under warranty if it were not for the 2 responces on this post.
Sounds like the unit is fine....Will try it out on Thursday when the Camper arrives.
Thanks heaps

Cruisin
FollowupID: 325479

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:50

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:50
Cruisin
I have a prodigy the same as you and as far point 2 is concerned its the same as yours, I have had mine in for almost 2 years and its brilliant.
If you have wired it in as per instructions you should have no problems.
To satisfy your curiosity I have a phone number I was given at the Rosehill 4wd show this year that you could call, he is supposed to know it all, 08 82630600 (Russell).
I hope this helps.
Jim Bob.
AnswerID: 64465

Follow Up By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:05
Thanks alot Jim-Bob

Will give him a call to, as you say...satisfy my curiosity.

Appreciate the Australian contact.

Cheers
FollowupID: 325513

Reply By: Mikell - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:58

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 20:58
I had one installed last week. Tried to set it on the week end but not sure if it is right.

Manual says to set it to 6.0 and then drive at 25mph and see if whhels lock up etc. Well did all that and kept adjusting it and now have it adjusted to 3.7. Dont have wheel lock up at this setting but it seems a low setting to me.

Just wondering what others have set theirs at. Vehicle is a 4.8 patrol and a 1.8t caravan
AnswerID: 64501

Sponsored Links