Replacing Troopy front seats

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:29
ThreadID: 13998 Views:10157 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

I need to replace front seats of my 93 Troopy and the only info on the oz forum is from a Japanese car? no make or model anyone have a closer description than that as I don't think I want to buy $1000 seats to replace ours just cause they fit easy.
Would reeeeally like some help on this my backs killing me.

Drive safe

Noel & Pam D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian(Qld) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:06

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:06
Hi Noel,

I replaced the seats on our 78 series troopy with Japanese bucket seats, no idea what brand. Cost about $200 a pair. Not easy. I ended up using the rails from the original driver seat and the 3/4 passenger seat. As there is no reinforced mounting point for the passenger rear bolt, the nearest to the middle of the truck, you have to provide one. Problem is the main fuel tank obscures access from below on my troopy, thus need to remove tank to bolt the rail down.
As far as choice of seats, I was able to remove the original rails from the replacement seats and bolt them directly to the landcruiser rails. Take great care in measuring the bolt positions on your current seats.
To get them approved in Qld with the bloke I use there must not be any welding and approval costs about $130 for the certificate.
A lot of the after market seats have specific rails (frames) for your model troopy. About $600-850 per seat and rails about $150 extra. They do come with engineering approval. Mine cost about $400 the pair.
Hope this assists.
Regards
Ian
AnswerID: 64340

Reply By: Large - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:23
Just my two bob's worth. Having driven Tojo's in SA Cooper Basin/South West Queensland areas for the last 14 years (no bitumen) I can say that the seats from a 78/79 series toyota are a 100% better than the old 75 series seats. More support for your bum and wrap around you slightly for more upper back support and are very comfortable. My regular vehicle has done 120000 kms in 18 months with a couple of big fellas (not at the same time) sitting in the drvers seat for no less than 200km of dirt road travelling everyday and the seats are still very firm.
I can appreciate you wnt to look after your back. My point is this, maybe the 78/79 series seats are an option for you. Cost? no idea, but they may be an easy conversion. Best of luck finding something suitable.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 64344

Reply By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:59

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:59
I have a pair of falcon seats in my troopy . They were already in when i bought the car . They have a compliance plate so obviously seats from wreckers can be installed ok . The hardest part would be to find someone in your area that has done this sort of work . My runners look like the original ones that have been modified . Extra bit of steel welded on etc . Unfortunately i dont have a digital camera at the moment so i cannot take any photos .
AnswerID: 64352

Reply By: Rob L - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:17

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:17
Hi Noel,

Will shortly be going through the same exercise as my seats are *******. One trick I found when I bought it is that the troopie (mine is a 95) already has the fixing nuts etc provided for the LHD option - they are just covered over by the floor pan on the passenger side. I located mine and drilled/cut the sheet metal for access and then the normal drivers seat and mounting rails fit perfectly. I have a drivers seat at present for the passenger, only problem is the slide and tilt levers are reversed to normal, no big deal. Two single seats with storage between beats the 1+1 1/2 original arrangement and I assume (though I have not asked the question(!) that there is no legal problem as the mountings are all original.

Hope this is useful,

Rob L
AnswerID: 64390

Follow Up By: Sunchasers - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:59

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:59
Thanks Rob

I have about six replies and starting to get the message some say to buy the SAAS seats etc but I think I will try for something else at this stage I have been told the Nivara seats are great. How did you locate the holes you spoke of did you have to remove the fuel tank under the seats as some say you have to so you can get the bolts in or improve the floor.

thanks for taking the time to reply

Noel and Pam
FollowupID: 325799

Follow Up By: Rob L - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:27

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:27
Hi Noel & Pam,

It's a while now since I did this and I'm not sure how I did locate the captive nuts - I think they were visible from underneath and I found them by acccident while I was looking for some way to mount a single seat, then it was a case of careful measuring or possibly fine drilling from below, through the nuts, then cutting the floor under the seat. Once you locate them I think there is some not very obvious indication also from above. I know it was not necessary to remove the fuel tank. I use the existing seat belt anchorage for the passenger belt.

Will try and check at the weekend to refresh my memory!

Rob
FollowupID: 325990

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:13

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:13
Go and spend the money and buy a pair of Recaro's, Scheel's or other orthapaedically (sp) designed seat, you will never regret the purchase and your back will thank you for the rest of your life.
We have a pair of Scheel 201 seats that we bought in 1978, they have been recovered once and had the base side bolsters replaced once. They have also been fitted to seven 4wd's in that time and have been all over Oz several times and are still very comfortable to sit in.
People said to us back in 1978 'fancy spending $250 a seat' best money we have ever spent.
AnswerID: 64455

Reply By: thomo - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:55

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 19:55
Ive had saas seats in a 75 troopy and now in my 75 tray very good seats and bolt straight to your original runners.
AnswerID: 64480

Sponsored Links