ABC -- Travel in Australia

Submitted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:11
ThreadID: 139990 Views:9014 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived

This ABC News article may be of interest for our upcoming travels.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:41

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:41
Yes we are the lucky state Allan, being able to travel our whole state to kick start the tourism, that in turns employs So many other people, and a Fiona and I are already now planning on where to go.

Our state borders will remain closed to all others with the exception of essential services.

Keep Safe

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631442

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:45

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:45

Hang on Stephen. I was born in South Australia........ 4th generation.
Doesn't that give me some essential visitation rights?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 907527

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:56

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 16:56
You will have to get into South Australia first.....lol

They have given no time frame for being able to travel interstate to lettering interstate people into South Australia.

The part, we have so much to see in our home+state, from the deserts through to the coastal areas.

The perfect time to call South Australia home
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907529

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 17:05

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 17:05
I don't know why NSW and VIC didn't close their borders, but I suppose when travel restrictions are eased in both states residents in both will be able to cross the river. Gives us a few more options than just our own states.

Sadly, many of the attractions both have to offer EO folk are burned out. My heart bleeds for the East Coast forests and National Parks, the Snowies, the VHC and the wildlife that are all devastated, some environments and fauna gone forever.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907532

Follow Up By: Kenell - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 21:06

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 21:06
"My heart bleeds for the East Coast forests and National Parks, the Snowies, the VHC and the wildlife that are all devastated, some environments and fauna gone forever."

Forever is a long time Frank. The bush and even the old growth forests and fauna will return. Unfortunately much of it won't be in my (our?) lifetime but it will come back. Like you I too am devastated by the recent destruction. I think there is still much to see and do though and I encourage everyone to spread their camping wings when the travel embargo and weather permits. We are all doing it tough but the fire impacted communities have copped the double whammy.

Kenell
FollowupID: 907540

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:50

Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:50
In relation to Stephen's SA border comment - and Frank's NSW/Vic also - Gunner (NT head honcho) said NT was keeping its borders closed because:

* SA/Vic border is too porous, SA can't give assurances;
* Qld/NSW border is too porous, Qld can't give assurances; and
* WA's Kimberley had an outbreak, so WA/NT will also remain closed.

Meanwhile in WA, we await tonight's info from McGowan which is expected to relax SOME of the internal (regional) boundary closures and permit some meaningful travel within WA. Maybe.
FollowupID: 907564

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 18:21

Saturday, May 09, 2020 at 18:21
This time of year points north of Perth are starting to fill up with eastern states visitors.

The WA Government might allow intrastate travel in the next month but I’d venture the borders will remain closed for a while, maybe even until September.

If that happens a Pilbara or Kimberley holiday in late July or August appeals. A Bit less traffic on the Gibb!

Stay safe .
AnswerID: 631444

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 14:35

Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 14:35
As expected, WA Premier McGowan has announced the easing of some travel restrictions from May 18 but the Kimberley is still off limits, which is no surprise really.

One comment I just saw suggested the hard border will be in place until the end of the year.

It's going to be inconvenient for some and cause hardship to many but I think it's in our best interests.

stay safe

FollowupID: 907575

Sponsored Links