Cape York conditions etc

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:43
ThreadID: 14000 Views:2763 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
in 13 days we will be heading up to the cape, really looking forward to it, have done a lot of reading about the place, as I like to be prepared. One thing I really haven't heard much about is what you can buy up there, I mean at the general stores can you buy vegies & fruit, and meat or is it just your basics.

Also has anyone just come back, really interested to know about the road conditions.

I have heard that the Punsand is a good place to camp, over seisia but then I heard the opposite.

I am worried about what i read about the rubbish situation up there.

and one last thing I read that the shed at captain billys was demolished.

If any one could help me out with any of my queries I would really appreciate it.

We will be leaving Cairns in 11th July In our converted Blue 80 series ute, and 3 other 4wds so if you see us say hello.

Cheers

Jodie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SimonIT - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:29
Hey Jodie,

I'm heading up that way, leaving on July 26.

Have you got the Cape York book written by Ron Moon. I think it gives an indication of what can be bought at different places.

I've heard that Seisia is a better place to camp over Punsand Bay but can't remember the reasons given. Figure I'll just work it out myself when I get there!! As long as the fishing is good and you can camp near the beach I'll be happy.

Have a good one.

Simon.
AnswerID: 64346

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:51

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:51
Hi Jodie

We were up there this time last year and for us, Seisa was a better spot to camp. We were a group of 5 cars, all with kids, ranging from 2-15years. The camping ground at Seisa is a pretty place, great views over the water, palm trees etc ( beware of falling coconuts though!)and the sand is NOT black like at Punsand bay camping ground! The bigger kids were able to fish off the pier at Seisa, a short walk from the camping ground, and from the shore. This was more difficult at Punsand bay as apparently there is a resident croc who makes the odd appearance! Enough to scare the mums and kids from fishing on the beach!!( maybe that is why they tell the story of the croc!!) I guess it is all up to the individual. Siesa is a more populated place, more facilities etc. Punsand Bay more isolated, bush camping with limited facilities ( good seafood on a Sat. night though).

Enjoy yourselves, plenty of places to restock if you need to, but we took a great deal. Great burgers at Musgrave, great pies at Telegraph Station, and a good bakery at Bamaga. ( got a bit sick of camp cooking!).

Have fun!!

Jen
AnswerID: 64350

Reply By: Brian - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:54

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:54
G'day Jodie
Can't help with the current road conditions but we spent quite a bit of time up there last season and stayed at both Seisia & Punsand. We enjoyed our stay at both camps. Seisia has good shower & toilet facilities. It also provides shared shelters eqipped with a sink, bench & power (very handy for groups). It's only a five minute walk up the beach to the jetty, if there are any fisherman among your crew there's a good chance they will get a feed. A cast net & a couple of 50lb hand lines will do the job. Seisia is only 10 minutes from Bamaga. There is a well stocked supermarket & bakery at Bamaga & another smaller one at Seisia. If the boys need to buy beer the hotel at Bamaga only sells light & midstrength. They can get propper beer just up the road at Umagico pub. The Thursday Island ferry does to trips a day from Seisia Jetty (a good day trip).
Punsand is a fair hike from town so it payes to stock up before you head out. It's a good base to check out the Tip & Sommerset. Punsand is a very pretty spot with plenty of shade. There is an above ground pool, a bar & restarant. The shower & toilet facilites can get overwelmed occasionaly. They have a seafood smorgasboard
once a week, don't miss it. The old bloke that runs the place recites his own bush poetry, he has a pretty dry sence of humor & can rub people up the wrong way if they take themselves to seriously.

Cheers,
Brian

AnswerID: 64359

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:10

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:10
Hi Jodie
Will be leaving for the Cape 24 July arriving in Seisia around 4 August after a leisurely trip through western NSW and QLD. Have once again chosen to stay at Seisia due to the facilities and its centrality to everything - makes a great home base for a few days. The only other place I considered was Loyalty Beach which is also pretty central. Punsand is OK but not my cup of tea. Plenty of places to get provisions - supermarkets at all the communities and the people are also great to talk to. You will get the best history lesson in the various cemetaries - but make sure you get local community permission to visit - apart from anything else it is just polite to do so.
The last time I did the Two Island trip (TI and Horn) was 2002. The price then was $45 per head which included the ferry trip, water taxi, guided tours of TI and Horn, and lunch at Horn - was thinking about doing it again but changed my mind now that it is almost $200 per head adults and about $120 for kids. Good day out but IMHO not worth that much if you've seen it all before.
Just remember DON'T EXCEED THE ALCOHOL LIMITS. A cold beer at the local is OK anyway.
Our group consists of 3xGU patrols, 2xDiscos, and 1xRodeo - 3 vehicles will be towing camper trailers. Keep a look out for us and say hi.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 64387

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:30

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 13:30
For the 2 Island Tour see http://www.peddellsferry.com.au/
FollowupID: 325470

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:00
When i went i packed the vehicle like i was going on a remote trip and then you find that shopping is quite good the whole way along for bits and pieces....
Bamaga and Seisa have great supplies of food in most shapes and sizes...
Take lots of cash for when you come across the CROC SHOP which is on the way to the tip after Seisa for all your Souveniers....
The tip is about 70kms past Seisa on crap roads....
AnswerID: 64404

Reply By: jodie308 - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:19

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:19
Thankyou everyone for your help.

Not many sleeps to go, can't wait.

Jodie
AnswerID: 64591

Reply By: Catherine - Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 13:36

Friday, Jul 02, 2004 at 13:36
Hi Jodie.

just wanted to say have a really fantastic trip. We leave Melbourne for Cairns on the 24th July, so not long for us now too, on the way to Cape York. We will be in Cooktown on 7th August or there abouts for a few nights before starting to trek up to the tip.

We are staying at Seisa C.P, simply for the facilities available in town, and because we intend to go to T.I overnight, and Seisa C.P offers security (as such) for vehicles, etc.

We are travelling in a group of about 9 vehicles, all from the CFA 4x4 Club, working off UHF channel 14, so if you see us, feel free to drop in and say hi, or wave as you drive past!! :-)

Enjoy the time up there, and good travelling.

Catherine.
AnswerID: 66140

Sponsored Links