Place Comment: Fallen Tietkens Blaze Tree

An interesting photo I came across. It concerns the tree blazed by explorer Tietkens in May 1889. Len found the tree and blaze while building the Sandy Blight Road.
The b&w print photo of Len was marked "Army Public Relations Photo." I snapped a pic of it, and the accompanying explanation, at the SA State Library in Adelaide, on 2 October 2019.
These two items were among a trove of archived materials relating to his books. In fact, enough to fill six boxes. They contained everything from the original hand-written manuscripts to his original sketches and drawings that were published in the books. And even some of his contracts with the publisher and royalty payment statements. :)

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 11:14

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 11:14
That was the bark that he cut from the tree and the reverse letting as it is the back of the bark.

When Anne was still alive, she still had that bark imprint in their shed, so I would now presume Mick and Connie would have it, or one of the other family members.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631863

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 19:05

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 19:05
The log as it now lies on the bessa blocks is looking very worse for wear these days and if it wasn't for the plaque you'd easily mistake it for just another bit of dead timber and a nice piece of fire wood.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 631879

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 23:03

Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 23:03
Thanks for this Candice. I've inadvertently (that's a lie) crossed Mr Tietkens 1889 Route numerous times during my wanderings, the last being around Lake Amadeus during which I was able to reconcile some of his sightings with those of the RT Maurice expedition of 1902.

In 2014 I was also able to spend time exploring the Watson Range and Cleland Hills with the legendary Dick Kimber, again emulating HT, Giles, Gosse, Chas Winoeke and a few others over the period.

The time we spent exploring the Watson Range, Laycocks Hill (Blog entry here), Mt Winter (Puritja - 'Shadow on the rock'), Muranji and Thomas Reservoir was bloody fantastic.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908247

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 12:12

Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 12:12
When last stopped at Mt Leisler (2018 .......I think.....) the party I was travelling with moved Tietkins tree back off the very edge of the graded roadside. Earlier visits had seen the tree well off the roadside but now-a-days the road has expanded and crept wider to meet the big old tree .

We also put the (very heavy and hard to shift) tree back on to its besser brick foundations. A road grader had clipped the besser blocks & tree and a significant shoulder of dirt was covering part of the tree trunk.

Maybe if you or others you know are headed that way again, you could take a dozen star posts (we call them droppers in SA) and erect a simple barrier to warn the grader driver away.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 908427

Sponsored Links