Drysdale River Station -Still closed

Hi Everyone,

With the opening up of the Kimberley we are getting calls from folks wanting to travel.
Problem is yes many places will now be accessible BUT many other places that are remote Aboriginal Communities are still totally closed. They fall into a different category, this difference often isn’t being made clear.
This means that for the far North Kimberley both the Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu will remain closed, till at this stage an unknown date.
These places are the only destinations up the Kalumburu Road so if they are not open then there is simply nowhere to go to.

On top of that the Kalumburu road is still NOT legally open to traffic at all, our far North Kimberley roads have not even had a full opening grade yet.
So sorry but don’t plan on coming up the Kalumburu road or the Mitchell Plateau track just yet.

We have just made the difficult decision that Drysdale River Station will remain closed all dry season for room accommodation, meals, bar and powered site camping.

When/ if the road opens and access to areas up here becomes available then we will consider options and decide if / when to open for only fuel sales and basic camping.
Sorry but at this time it’s the most up to date info that I can offer.

So please do carefully check what is or isn’t available and accessible all along the Gibb River Road before setting out. Many places will remain closed or offer restricted hours or services.

Cheers, Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 17 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 08:12

Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 08:12
Geez, it is hard for all small businesses. With the added complexity of remoteness and dealing with layers of bureaucracy, it must be very hard and heartbreaking to map a plan forward. Planning staff, supplies etc with the uncertainty of how many, if any travelers must be a nightmare.

Thanks for the notice Anne, and I hope things soon turn back to normal for you, all small businesses and everyone.

This situation is unbelievable.

I guess the silver lining is that the average on the GRR has lowered from about 130 to under 100. LOL
AnswerID: 631997

Follow Up By: Drysdale River Station - Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 10:16

Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 10:16
Hi Tony,
Biggest problem is our season is always short, early May to mid Sept is always really the only trading period. Only ever a dribble of trade in later Sept and Oct. Now even if our road to the very far North did open up in July or August is it worth getting in staff (who were mostly coming from interstate ) and all the required supplies to do meals etc for such a short period of an unknown quantity of trade. Basically the season will now be so short it will be non viable to do anything that requires us to bring in many staff. All the large tour groups that normally come have canceled.
As for average under 100 on the GRR, I'd guess at a lot lot less than that !
So folks that do do the trip will probably see it as it was 20 years ago numbers wise, don't think anyone will be fighting for the best camp spot this year. LOL
Not good for anyone anywhere but lets hope due to the lock down most of us do stay well.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 908423

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Jun 22, 2020 at 21:12

Monday, Jun 22, 2020 at 21:12
Sorry its ended up this way.
Funny you mentioned 20years ago in other reply. I ended up going there in 1997 and remember beautiful Jacks Waterhole.
Only handful of people up there. Tried going in 2016 but Tamami rd closed so we went to Darwin instead and into Qld. And planned going this year.
AnswerID: 632254

Sponsored Links