Dig Tree

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:15
ThreadID: 14013 Views:1593 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm setting off on a trip Brisbane-Thargomindah-Innamincka-Cameron Corner-Wanaaring-Brisbane next weekend. I've heard a rumour about the dig tree being vandalised recently (last 18 months) and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this? Any advice that anyone could give about my intended trip, including places to see/stay, or any "gotchas" for the area that I may not have considered in my trip planning would also be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:22

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 14:22
There was a post on this in the past, maybe a search may shed some light on it...

Why some people do these things, just loses me... and if they were caught, nothing would happen to them anyway../

Theres a good book out there called The Dig Tree. worth reading!
AnswerID: 64410

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 15:35
The dig tree that suffered an attack was in the Gluf.
There are a number of these "Trees" and some are no where near the track used by B&W in 1860-61.
The dig tree at innamincka is old but still standing.
I am heading out that way on Friday and hope to bo on the Cooper by 1 or 2nd July
Vince
AnswerID: 64421

Reply By: The Banjo - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 15:54

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 15:54
Yep....the real Dig Tree is looked after by Kidman staff on Nappa Merrie station. Fences, interpretation shelter and sign etc....been there a few times....tortoises in the creek there...fish too......flies can be fierce of course.......a must see though, all the more important if you've done some reading on it prior !! Helps you to appreciate how harsh to whole venture was and how far away it was to any help....might as well have been on the moon when the chips were down.
AnswerID: 64424

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:01
Well worth the visit, and the caretaker "Bomber Johnson" is a wealth of information - If you get a chance have a chat with him.

Cheers

FollowupID: 325493

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:10
Just a small correction, Banjo, Nappa Merrie is owned by Stanbroke Pastoral Company, not Kidman as you suggest.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 325527

Follow Up By: The Banjo - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:48

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 21:48
Indeed - thanks Bob - was having another "vague-out".... Stanbroke Ex AMP - just bought by a single owner (if I remember the news item a few weeks back (but I probably don't :-) ..... I remember now....er...Macumba in SA is a Kidman - that was in the news recently !
FollowupID: 325548

Reply By: Bundy - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:52

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:52
Drop into Currawinya NP if you have the time. Isolated but that's what we look for. Billabongs to camp beside and a couple of nice drives to see the boulders and lakes that are in the area.

Worth dropping in to Coongie Lake while at Innamincka. If you time it right you can catch the $15 roast night at the Innamincka Pub (Sat or Sun Night...unsure), spend the night camped on the town common and than head out for a couple of days at Coongie Lakes. Thay also have river cruises there (Innamincka) water permitting!

We headed South down the Strez and onto Arkaroola and Gammon Ranges and Wilpena Pound before heading back along the Darling River Run.

We have a great country!

We are heading out Friday to Chinchiilla, Charleville, Windorah, B'ville, Boulia, Diamantina and then return via Winton Longreach. Travelling with both sets of outlaws. Keep clear of a Hilux & CT, L'cruiser & CT and Xtrail convoy!

Let us know how the trip goes!

Bundy
AnswerID: 64450

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 22:00
Hi Hiluxury, came back from that way 3 weeks ago & all was fine at the Dig Tree. Visit Cullyamurra Water hole, Burkes Grave & Wills Memorial plus the NPWS building is worth a visit just to look at the history of Innamincka.
There are some opal fields at Yowah west of Cunnamulla & of course the Noccundra Hotel about 140km west of Thargomindah (20km off main drag).
The crew at Cameron Corner were great & there are a few spots to look at in & around Tibooburra.
Enjoy your trip
John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 64526

Reply By: Hiluxury - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:12
Thank you all for your good advice. Just another quick question - what is the go in terms of fishing permits for the creeks and rivers out that way?? Has anyone had any success in bagging the big ones?
AnswerID: 64563

Sponsored Links