CSR - Calvert trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 17:46
ThreadID: 14019 Views:2690 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just back from a 2 week trip to the Calvert Ra – via Wiluna/Carnegie Station/Glenayle Station/CSR.
We were 5 Subarus – 4 Foresters & a MY (the MY continued up the CSR alone after we left the Calvert Ra) – Foresters were 1 x XT auto, 1 x X manual, 1 x XS auto (fitted with Goodyear LT Cargo tyres), and a 2000 manual (fitted with HD rear springs). The Foresters were all standard and all had rear seats removed with a false floor fitted. The ‘X’ series cars were all fairly new, and in hindsight they all needed HD rear springs – it is obvious that all 4WD’s are becoming ‘softer’ each year! Each car carried 40 L of water and a extra 60 L of petrol – we left 80 L of fuel near W 14 (PU on the return trip) and emptied 80 L of water at W 10 to save weight – water was topped up again at W 15. Fuel economy was 9.6 kms/L on the CSR/Calvert section, with an average of 10.4 kms/L for the whole trip, which was better than we had calculated. ULP at Carnegie is $1:50/Litre!

The Transit of Venus was observed on the CSR near W 12 – very interesting to be part of Australia’s history ‘replayed’ – we may all be French now if it wasn’t for Cook’s trip!?

Generally the track was fairly good – except for corrugations and bad erosion in places. Our timing was good, as the Carnegie/Wiluna road had been very muddy the week before – the Carnegie/Glenayle/W 9 track was excellent - the track into the Calvert Ra from the East via Constance Hedland and the Eagle Hwy was closed because of rain. The dunes were ‘friendly’ and we had no trouble cresting any. The traffic volume was very low – we passed only 7 vehicles going north on our way home (south).

The LSD was in great shape compared to our last trip from Jigalong in 2001 (to Canning’s Cairn, Durba Gorge, Calvert then down the CSR and out via Carnarvon Ra) – there were lots of trees in blossom, flowers and green spinifex. The south face of Durba Ra looks like a golf course. There were heaps of birds at the Calvert’s and the creek at the main camp area was running.

The main purpose of the trip was to take a closer look at the Aboriginal ‘art’ painting and petroglyphs. We discovered more art at virtually every spot we walked – we are all a lot fitter for the walking/rock hopping over the 6 days camped at the Calverts.
We took our own dunny (Calvert Crapper) – 3 small (20 litre) metal drums and a seat – we left one drum in the ground and burnt and bashed the rest and brought it out. A great success – 10 people for 6 days would have made a big ‘mess’!

Another fantastic trip – great to be home and washed and sleeping in a bed – but can’t wait for the next trip – Maybe the Anne Beadell?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Puddin (Sydney) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:00
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Was that 2 weeks Home to Home ? Just shows how good the Subies are.
AnswerID: 64452

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 00:10

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 00:10
Yep - 'home to home' - Perth to Perth !!

Bit far to do that trip from NSW in 2 weeks.

I think we broke the jaws of a few passers by.
"whathe !!?? I just spent $$$ on my big 4WD and all I needed was a Subaru - B-gger"
FollowupID: 325596

Follow Up By: Puddin (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 14:35

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 14:35
You'll have to change your handle so you don't confuse me again. I was wondering how you did all that in 2 weeks from Bungendore.
FollowupID: 325647

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:18

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:18
I will be back in NSW next week.
FollowupID: 325791

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:07

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:07
Thanks for the trip report Colin. Going out to the western deserts in September. Not sure of my route yet.
AnswerID: 64454

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:18

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2004 at 18:18
Sounds like you had a great trip Colin but mate didn't anyone tell you that you can't do that trip in a Subaru, gotta get a Nissan or the other one..gotta be diesel too mate...nup, you just can't do that. :)
AnswerID: 64456

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:50

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:50
Hi Colin ,

Good to read about your trip as I will be spending four days at the Calvert Ranges with the Tagalong Murchison Safaris in August . I am very interested in the rock art there and have tried to get as much info about it before I go . So far I have read general descriptions of the rock engravings of the desert regions and read the diaries of a couple of explorers who passed through , but nothing specific on the engravings or sites of the Calvert Ranges .

Did you manage to find out any info on this subject and can you point me in the right direction for info ?

Thanks a lot ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 64598

Reply By: equinox - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:34

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 17:34
Sounds great Colin, wish I had come.
Now going slightly off track here now (pardon the pun). You mention that the track in from Constance Headland was closed. Do you know who closed it? I believe from what I have read and heard about that track, is just that - that it is just a track; made by one vehicle after another driving the same route. I did not think that that track was a gazetted road and I believe that it lies on unallocated crown land.

I wonder if you could get fined for driving on it?

Just wondering!!!

Equinox
AnswerID: 64675

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:16

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:16
You are probably right in all you said - but anyone trying to travel in this area when it is wet is asking for trouble.
The Wiluna/Carnegie Rd was badly chewed up in patches by what seemed to be one vehicle. If The Eagle Hwy/Constance track is sand the problem may be minimal. My brother got stuck on the CSR for 4 days after rain - there is a plaque to 'commemorate' this - not a pleasant experience!

Bush manners say - if the road is wet, keep off.
FollowupID: 325790

Sponsored Links