Repowering the 60 2F

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 02:39
ThreadID: 14034 Views:1430 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at putting a Ford ED-EL Motor in the 60 as the 2F is KAput.
The ford donk gives 50% more power, is Fuel injected, Lighter and Unleaded.
The rod shop and Dellowauto both do kits for the fitment to the Gearbox etc.

Has anyone done this conversion or make any recomendations know of any gotchas.

Tks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tour boy - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:14

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:14
Mate I would strongly suggest another type of motor as the ford motor you are looking at are notorious for overheating and rooting the head. We have a machine shop in our local area and 90% (by his own admission) of his work is these motors.
We used to have one it was always serviced never thrashed and still destroyed itself with low ks.
Do some more research before deciding for your own sake.
AnswerID: 64560

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:46

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:46
I don't think these motor have the torque, might have good power but torque is more important i thought.

Baz.
AnswerID: 64584

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 20:14

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 20:14
Hi toy, I wouldnt be too worried about the alloy head, if you use any motor with alloy head sooner or later you will need to service it, be it in a falcon, 4by, or anything else. the cruiser radiator would be bigger than a falcon anyway so long as you cooling system is in good nick you would be alright. I have run falcons for years and have only ever replaced 1 head and that was the EA which were the worst model for head problems but that didnt go until nearly 300 thousand. The main problem with the falcon models you are talking about is the OE head gaskets not a huge problem, and the EF I am running at the moment has plenty of punch. I guess you will need to work out what sort of driving you do as the falcon will need more revs to do the tough stuff but would be better on roads and tracks. Find out if you can buy a lower touque cam or have yours reground.
The other way to solve any touque deficiency in the tough stuff would be to fit rockhopper gears so you can have higher revs at low speed to keep the power up.
I have a 45 ute as a work horse and have thought about a similar convertion myself a couple of times but most of its work is hard paddock work so I have stayed with the low touque 2f which has been very reliable over many years. If I used it more on the road I wouldnt hesitate to change for the same reasons as you stated. I will be interested if you go ahead with it so post your results. Best of luck.
AnswerID: 64705

Follow Up By: Toy60 - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 03:04

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 03:04
Thanks Steve for the comments,

The 2F has aver 350 K on the clock and some have been hard I think I have bben quoted 300 bucks for the carby rebuild alone.

After reading your comments I have been doing some chasing and I can get a tow cam from the speed shops which gives the Ford donk 260NM torque at 2500 rpm, the 2F devolops 209 at 2000 so should be ok. (I think id like a auto better but u cant have everything)

The idea of fuel injection is tempting (Sure improves the off road drivability). I know the V8s are a common mod but im not in it for the sheer power and grunt to climb vertical walls I like my diffs and gearboxes just the way they are. The passing power on the highway should be handy and I should cruise at 110K a little happier.

I can get a EF 4.0 with the computer fuel pump Powersteer Altenator and AC compressor and sensors for $500 bucks (apparantly they are not to sort after and the wreckers tell me the heads are preety good.

They did suggest I run a triplecore radiator on the 60 just to be safe, it seems you may be right, as overheating is the cause of any problems the fords seem to have.

Anyway at the price its worth a trot (probably save that much running unleaded in a couple of years) Will let you know how I go.

I just wish I knew which kit to buy (Rod Shop or dellowauto) Marks stopped making theirs.

Tks for the feedback
FollowupID: 325797

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 10:39

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 10:39
Gday
There are plenty of options for your 60, i have seen the older ford motors power them aswell as the older still 265 hemi...now if you are interested in cheap motors and being able to work on them in the bush, i would steer you that way, or into a v8 holden.
However, i agree with your logic of draging her into the next century.
The biggest problem will be finding a motor that likes the gearing of a cruiser. It is low enough for the v8's and 6's to drink too much fuel. They will work well in the bush, but what about when they are doing 3000rpm at 120km/hr?
The v6 commodore doesnt like revving either, (it makes max torque at fairly low revs) What did you say the ford does? 2600 rpm max torque? i think the commodore is around the same.
Also remember you have a 60 that was not designed for efi, the tank cant have a pump in it nor is there any electrics for it, so it wont be cheap or easy to fit a donk that is modern.
Have a look at pickles.com.au, you may be fortunate enough to come accross a smashed hj61 gxl or something like that for 2k.
Andrew

AnswerID: 64812

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:40

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:40
I agree with Dozer, and in an old 60, why bother "dragging" her kicking and sreeming into the 21st century? What's the point?

The obvious and most common conversion would be a small block (327 or 350) chev, or second choice - a 4.2 litre V8 holden motor. But if you can't foot the bill for a V8, I'd look at the older straight 6 4.1 litre ford motor - that was a ripper of a motor with plenty of bottom-end torque and also plenty at the top-end too. And, they should be pretty cheap.
AnswerID: 65035

Sponsored Links