New Isuzu D-MAX or Mazda BT50?

I'm not in the market but I wonder what current drivers of each marque think of the respective new models at first blush (without knowing specs and pricing). Official release of the DMax is (was) this week but it probably won't be significantly different from the Thai model.

BT50 preview

DMax video
More info on the D-MAX

Quite like the look of both, especially compared to the 'new' Triton and HiLux.

Just found this side by side comparison.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Aug 09, 2020 at 22:22

Sunday, Aug 09, 2020 at 22:22
They're badge engineered as far as I know, so maybe the Mazda Badges are better quality!
AnswerID: 632886

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:05

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:05
An Isuzu from Isuzu cannot be badge engineered, it IS UZU from the beginning. The Mazda comes under that though.
FollowupID: 909796

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:23

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:23
It is badge engineered to a Mazda. Identical, except the badges and trim options.
FollowupID: 909798

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:04

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:04
The D-Max has proven to be a reliable, solid vehicle over the years (though not as reliable and solid as the marketers and the owners would have you believe!), the engine is a known and reasonable unit which hasn't changed much (part of the negative also, however). D-max is so far getting good reviews, I can't see either being a poor choice.

For me (not that I'm in the market) the pick at the moment for value and performance is the Triton, but I'd be wary of building a heavy tourer around one.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 632889

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:13

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 08:13
The Hilux has a fair degree of overhang and ugly at the front. The Triton is just plain ugly at front and has a huge overhang, nearly ALL overhang at the rear. It looks like a huge bum in a supermarket aisle. Everyone seems greatly impressed with more power and torque from smaller engines. That means only 1 thing. More highly stressed by fuel pressure and turbo boost to make the extra power and torque. It seems Mazda and Isuzu have again chosen ENGINE LIFE over impressing the easily impressed and hoodwinked sheep.
FollowupID: 909797

Follow Up By: axle - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 09:15

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 09:15
Its all an opinion though RMD, what everyone owns/drives is always the best, know matter what happens to the thing . These days not so sure about the smaller motor over stressed and not lasting, depends who does the best job building it to cope. If the motor is not working and has abundance of power under normal conditions, then if built properly in every department i cant see why they wont last , eg my 2.5l triton common rail , has done over 200,000ks now with out any problems what so ever, .

Isuzu make brilliant commercial engines, after owning seven excavators all Isuzu powered, and not a problem in tens of thousands of hrs work, is a testament to their durability as far as i'm concerned.

The common rail Isuzu 3.0l is a different beast to the old 3.0l fitted to early Rodeos etc as far as power goes , so it will be interesting to see how they hold up over time.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 909801

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 09:35

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 09:35
G'day Axle
Th early Rodeo's had a different engine but later RA7 had same basic engine as now, new ones more refined. injectors different as well. So the RA& and all Dmax and Colorado's RC until the Italian engine model all used the same engine. Don't you think on the scale of ALL those engines, the use of them without screwing more and more torque and power out of them has resulted in a fairly reliable engine? They have held up extremely well over time, 14 years for than variant and in the light trucks too.
FollowupID: 909803

Follow Up By: axle - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:16

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:16
For sure RMD, reliability not a issue, BUT! the lack of power in the RA was a issue , so much so that in certain situations they where down right dangerous, From a standing start they had very poor pick up and miserable with a load on. I have driven a couple doing farm duties and they where both the same.

(the early Ra)... My defender ute with the 300tdi would drag them backwards!! .....lol.

Anyway we all have our own opinion ...thank God!

Cheers.
FollowupID: 909804

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:13

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:13
Ahh , here's the truth , no matter what vehicle 'brand' the very moment you buy it it is the 'best' ...you look for that brand and particular vehicle type constantly while driving [ its human nature ] , you learn to 'justify' the purchase and minimise its faults even though there may be many or few [ once again human nature is at play ] then after awhile real rationality may come into play and you realise the NO vehicle is the EXACTLY as described / fit for purpose or what you 'dreamed' of ....Not 1 vehicle does it all , especially in 4x4 format off the showroom floor .....the best one can hope for is that it gets you there and back without costing an arm and a leg metaphorically ...... because then it's the 'best'
FollowupID: 909809

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 14:03

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 14:03
Alloy CT
Not exactly, yes people fall in love with vehicles but none are perfect. I didn't think most people regard their make as being the best, some do. What I have is acceptable to me, has limitations but happy enough I haven't got some other brand. Most modern vehicles should do plenty of KM's before requiring rebuilds of any part. If they don't then they aren't reaching even an acceptable level of reliability. No brands mentioned!

Some people like more and more specs and lower pricing, ALL good I suppose but more gear means more trouble and pricing low is sometimes an act of dumping. There is a lot of rubbish which isn't required to make a good vehicle but people are conned from birth to want the pinnacle of what is available.
FollowupID: 909811

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 14:53

Monday, Aug 10, 2020 at 14:53
I think I’d buy a bargain basement runout BT 50 before I bought either. I had a 4jji engined car for 6 years. I've had the 3.2 ranger now for 7. I haven't once though that I'd prefer to go back to the isuzu engine. It was close to thermal runaway in the RC dmax/colorado version. The big vents in the front of the new utes will be critical for keeping it cool now the wick has been turned up again.
AnswerID: 632895

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Aug 14, 2020 at 03:22

Friday, Aug 14, 2020 at 03:22
It has a new body and chassis which we would hope eliminate the body cracks problem.
AnswerID: 632943

Reply By: Bazooka - Friday, Aug 14, 2020 at 13:49

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Aug 14, 2020 at 19:32

Friday, Aug 14, 2020 at 19:32
I would reckon for many people it will come to price. Mazda most likely a bit dearer but may be slightly better equipped and trim levels a bit higher.
Biggest downer on old BT50 in my view was its looks. New model will never be mistaken for anything but a Mazda.
Good luck to those in the hunt.
AnswerID: 632960

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Aug 16, 2020 at 16:25

Sunday, Aug 16, 2020 at 16:25
Here's another link with latest info. I'm taking my ute in for a service tomorrow morning, so will try to get a look at one.

Cheers
Jim
https://www.caradvice.com.au/872925/2021-isuzu-d-max-price-and-specs-first-new-model-in-almost-a-decade/
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632990

Sponsored Links