Headlight globes - LC100

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:32
ThreadID: 14036 Views:2061 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

I have done some searches on this forum on this topic, however have not found anything specific to the LC100. It appears in their ininite wisdom, the cruiser uses HB3 and HB4 globes in the headlights. These types appear to be less common than other "H" types. As a result, the range of replacement globes is limted.

From my research I have found that only the following globes could be used as replacements without upgrading the loom:
1. Phillips BlueVision
2. Phillip CrystalVision
3. Phillips DiamondVision
4. Narva Plus30
5. Narva ArticBlue
6. Hella CoolBlue.
I also believe that IPF make some HIR replacement globes of the 100 series.

My question is, has anyone tried any of these globes in their 100 series ? If so, was it worthwhile ?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hedonist - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:23

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:23
I changed to Narva +30s but the difference is not startling...

Pete
AnswerID: 64577

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:37

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:37
I have Narva Plus50's in a Jackaroo.

Initial reaction was "I think it's better". But couldn't really tell until I lined up next to a mate's Jackaroo and then I could see the output was indeed whiter and brighter. However, the Jack's headlights are poor anyway so it wasn't a ground breaking improvement.

Be aware that the Narva Plus 50s are actually repackaged Sylvania globes, as confirmed on the flange of the bulb. Not a problem in itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the above brands all come back to one or two manufacturers. I think you might find that to be the case between Narva and Philips.

One other thing is to avoid globes that give off a "blue" light, like you see on many "doof-doof" cars. Make sure they are bulbs that output a white light. I understand the blue light is technically illegal, but I may be wrong.
AnswerID: 64581

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 14:02

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 14:02
I just put some Narva ArticBlue in the Surf on Monday night (blew one headlight on the way to work). The surf always had very good headlights, the guy told me that "you will deffinatally notice the difference". Nup. Looks the same to me. I bought two of them so they would be the same and when I replaced the blown one, I put the headlights on in high and low beam and the old "stock" globe and the fancy pancy globe looked identical. I changed the other one anyway, but feel I have wasted $20.
AnswerID: 64637

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 21:55
Jeff - if you really want to improve the lighting on your Surf - upgrade the loom - My surf was dropping 3 volts between the Alternator and the headlight with the pathetic original wiring.
Check yours with a multimeter - engine running - measure voltage coming out of the alternator - then measure at the headlight plug. The headlight must be connected and running - to 'load' the wiring, not easy to do with a Surf due to the dual batteries. Just remove one battery - and check that side light.
You will be suprised!
FollowupID: 325758

Sponsored Links