heater

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 21:08
ThreadID: 140364 Views:9139 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
has anybody used the single outlet diesel heater from the aussie outback store,pros and cons about buying and using it,thanks for future answers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 22:37

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2020 at 22:37
Hello Barry
I have one which looks similar, same colour grey, mine a Planar brand, but plenty look same. Mine cost a lot more than the $349 so it seems a good price. Not sure how handy you are but fairly easy to self install if following precautions/instructions, despite their recommendation not to self install. Mine is a 2 KW device and easily heats a 17ft poptop. Initially I didn't have a muffler and it was noisey, since rectified. The heater is one inlet and one outlet and is on LHS under the fridge drawing air from rear 1/4 through the heater and exiting the cabinet down low and able to be directed to the rear centre or front of van as required. Don't expect too much from OutBax though. It is Outbax you mean I presume.
The unit takes about 8 to 9 amp initially when the glowplug begins and after ignition it uses approx 300ma on low speed while running. The pump, mounted on an angle as they recommend needs to be more shock insulated on it's rubber ringmount so tick noise isn't obtrusive. On high it gets to well over 30C inside so jocks and singlet if you do. If you have some LED lights it may flutter the brightness while beginning and at the shutoff as the glowplug is energised. Heavy supply cabling, Pos and Neg from battery is best. I fitted a master OFF switch so when not likely to be used it isn't on standby or have any power to it just for safety reasons. Used for hours it won't affect the charge of 100ah AGM much at all, apart from the small startup and shufoff/burn off times involved. The fuel in their description says "fuel Gasoline: Diesel. I would not like to try Gasoline/petrol, it may cause an explosion I imagine. Diesel and a bit of Kero in it is ok. If fuel stored for a long time of no van use add small amount of Kero and/or fuel Algae inhibitor as for diesel fuel tanks.
At that price you haven't lost much if it did fail after a while but there are spares on the net which seem to be available.
I notice Banggood Australia Have same thing for around $200 Banggood item ID: 1368365 2Kw, maybe worth a look, or buy two and only costs a bit more than OutBax.
AnswerID: 632932

Reply By: Gbc.. - Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:18

Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:18
If buying a heater the most important thing for camping is to buy a model where you can control the furnace speed so it stays constant all night. My last one was thermostat control only and drove us mad.
AnswerID: 632933

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:37

Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:37
I have one in a small hybrid and haven't even bothered to read the instructions on how to use the thermostat function.
Can't run it all night either......too hot....even on lowest speed setting.
FollowupID: 909845

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 07:40

Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 07:40
The thermostat turns it off and back on if need be.
FollowupID: 909847

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Aug 16, 2020 at 09:28

Sunday, Aug 16, 2020 at 09:28
That's when they become annoying, when they restart all the time.
Why I haven't bothered trying to read the chinglish instructions.
Fire it up before bedtime and again in the morning....works for us.
FollowupID: 909877

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:46

Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:46
I have one from ebay - $150 for the kit and works really well - really to be used to heat up before bed but uses about 500 - 800ml of diesel if left on overnight on a zero degree night.

See here to watch an installation in a Jayco
AnswerID: 632937

Reply By: PeterInSa - Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:59

Thursday, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:59
Further to GBC's Comment above ( and my experience):

I would not buy/install a Diesel heater that does not have the 2 heat methods as described below from the Belief's Tassie Website. Our Heater has only Temperature control and it cycles, Hi Heat noisy wind noise/fan to get the Van up to Set temperature, then Fan/Heat lower so van cools down, then higher Fan/Heat to get it up to set Temperature again. Adjustment of the Temperature setting can minimise the changes in fan/heat.

However running on the Heat output with the Belief type units on low all the time can carbon up the heater, so you need a high heater setting every now and then to burn out the carbon. Has not happened with our Temp only unit since on start up, to me gives a good burn off.

I understand that there are cheaper 2K units with the 2 heat modes available ex China ( I would only get a 2K unit for a 22 Ft or less van) but to me you will not have the support if you have problems compared to buying off the Tassie supplier.

From Belief's Website of sometime ago:

(Heat output control and regulation on air heaters work in two ways
Temperature control
In this mode the heater will sense the cold air input coming into the heater and will turn itself up or down depending on the position of the control switch. If the switch is turned down to low this will cause the burner in the heater to go out. When the temperature drops below the control switch setting temperature, the burner will reignite and heating will resume. As the heater requires the glow plug to start the burner flame, the glow plug ignition will draw around 10-12 amps (120w-144w) of current during start-up.

Heat output
In this mode the positioning of the control switch regulates the heat output of the heater – basically the same as a bar radiator. Using this mode does not turn the burner off but turns down the fuel supply and fan speed with the heater only drawing a run current of between 1.5 amps to 2 amps (18W-30W)

Other heaters on the market only use temperature control. In some cases careful positioning of the control switch is required so that the heater does not turn off. If this is not achieved the heater will draw 12 amps on start up for approx 2 minutes before going to its run current – approx 2 amps (on high). This type of regulation is hard on batteries especially if only 1 battery is installed.

Our belief heaters can be set on both temperature regulation or heat output; we recommend setting them on heat output as this gives better battery life and step-less heat output from low to high. This switching is achieved by pushing the up and down arrows together on the control switch.)
AnswerID: 632939

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Aug 16, 2020 at 09:41

Sunday, Aug 16, 2020 at 09:41
Our $200 eBay special has 2 heat options, but we only run it on heat. Usually flat out for short periods, but even if you want to run them on low for say overnight, just turn it up to high for 10 minutes before shutting down to burn off any carbon build up.
They are really a very simple device and apart from the controller and pump, nothing much to go wrong if you keep them from carboning up and blocking the glow plug.
FollowupID: 909878

Sponsored Links