Toyota 3.5l V6 with the variable valve timing.

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 09:46
ThreadID: 140398 Views:7284 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The wifes Aurion with the above mentioned motor has been super reliable , but has had some funny little knocks and rattles when hot and when it sits there idling in gear (auto). From a bit of research it appears that the variable valve timing set up is prone to some noise, as the kms get up, . Its fine above idle. Has anyone experienced this sort of thing with this particular motor?, its a bit concerning when you listen to it.

Toyotas usual response was , Haven't heard that noise Before!!! ??.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:25

Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:25
Axle
If it is the valve gear it should also do it when hot and in neutral too. If only in drive, then the valve timing isn't changed YET, so I would be thinking it is more likely to be torque converter or it's drive plate, because when in drive there is no gearing turning in the auto until forward movement happens.
Interesting Toyota folk, who apparently are deaf in some normal ranges of hearing, don't hear most mechanical noises at all. All new experience for them if they admit there is a noise at all!
Can you detect where the noise is emanating from with a plastic hose to your ear and the other end doing a Sherlock?

If testing in gear don't get run over by your vehicle. Saw a "Ford" man pinned to the bench by a car which was in drive and the aircond idled up the engine speed. Just crept up on him! OH, WHAT A FEELING.
AnswerID: 633050

Follow Up By: axle - Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 14:15

Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 14:15
G/Day RMD

Thinking along the same line as you now, will investigate further and i am thinking drive plate when i think back to a falcon i owned, similar noise. And i will try not run over myself...lol.

cheers.
FollowupID: 909956

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:09

Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 11:09
Gday Axle, my wifes aurion is quiet when warm. When cold it starts and rattles till oil pressure forces the tensioner on the chain. If the auto hasnt had a service for a while, that may be a starting point.
AnswerID: 633051

Follow Up By: axle - Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 14:23

Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 14:23
G/day Dozer,

Thinking somethings up in the auto area, service maybe?, will find out soon enough, Gee they want some $$ for those 6speed autos .

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 909957

Follow Up By: old mate - Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 15:37

Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 15:37
Auto service, a fluid change could be all it needs.
FollowupID: 909959

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 15:52

Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 at 15:52
If parked but in drive, there is nothing moving inside the auto and so extremely unlikely to be able to make any noise from there. Whenever the engine is running, the hydraulic pump operates at all times but with engine running and vehicle stopped, nothing moving inside, so servicing and changing of fluids, etc, cannot be anything to do with it. Only what is moving at the time can emit noise. Don't get sucked into thinking, " auto fault" apart from what happens to be rotating when stopped in drive or neutral. If the converter drive plate is cracked you may hear it at low rpm but not when power pulses are more frequent OR under power. Not sure what engine oil you have Axle, hope it is a quality product, but if close to change I would do that first to see it it alters any noise emitted from the engine systems. Tracking the source may be the difficult bit. If it is a ticking clacking type of sound the Hose should enable detection from the area involved. In a stationary auto, dirty or clean fluid will make the same absence of sound. Having rebuilt a few of the 4 speed Aisin autos, I wouldn't be suspecting the actual auto at all. especially seeing it is not operating when the noise is happening. Do the easy things first or cost becomes a problem too.
FollowupID: 909960

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Aug 24, 2020 at 14:27

Monday, Aug 24, 2020 at 14:27
Axle
While a cam can make noise if worn, etc, are you sure it isn't the aircon compressor making the rattle noise or a tensioner pulley? Maybe turn of aircon to test, probably running all the time is a climate control car, and or check all belt driven bearing units.
AnswerID: 633091

Sponsored Links