hf phone access

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1404 Views:2260 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
some time ago i switched from telstra to RADTEL for phone access via hf radio to anywhere. result, when checking system sending phone call from my driveway to my lounge room,50 feet, at8.00 pm no success. called radtell on their 24hr number , result answering service,no direct access, later radtel called me same night to advise that 1.after hours phone calls are unreliable. 2.radtel tell me they will do everything to assist ememergency calls , but if the phone system wont connect after houres how can they ???
i believe radtal should advise all potential clients that they have no guarenteed service apart from 9 to 5pm
ps radtel have confirmed to me that the statement on their brochure that states is missleading my experience do not expectphone contact through radtel reliable at any particular time they seem not to be able to guarentee anything.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00
Tim,
Whilst I agree that Radtel should be more careful about the contents of their brochure, I think you might be a bit hard on them.
HF radio transmission is notoriously unreliable at night - a by-product of the frequency spectrum it operates in. Under certain conditions it can also be very patchy in the daytime, so expecting it to perform the same as a normal telephone netwok is just not realistic. Similarly, if there are a lot of people trying to make calls, there can be no guarantee of connection - there are not enough frequencies to go around.
AnswerID: 4582

Reply By: tim - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

cruiser,thankyou for your reply perhaps i was a bit hard on radtel as you say,i am dissapointed that the servive seems not to be what is promoted.tim
AnswerID: 4584

Reply By: Nigel - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

I can see how someone who is unfamiliar with HF could feel they have been misled by the claims in question. I took the claims to be about their equipment, not about the HF spectrum, as I understand that no one can claim to provide 100% service via HF without having unlimited channels right across the HF frequency range.

If you require 100% guaranteed phone connection at any time of the day or night then you will have to pay the extra cost and get a LEO satphone.

The RFDS have lower frequency channels for use at night that should give better night coverage than any of the radphone networks.

That said it depends on many factors, as I have been able to talk to melbourne from cairns at midnight on 8 megs quite clearly. It's all a matter of using the correct frequency for the time and location.
AnswerID: 4589

Reply By: Kiwoka - Wednesday, Jul 03, 2002 at 00:00

Tim, as you have found HF is not the be-all and end-all that everyone would like us to believe. However there is an alternative. Vodafone now have a service called "Globalstar", This is a Satphone service which does guarentee 100% coverage in OZ out to 200 nmiles off the coast.
The equipment is much cheaper than HF (Max $2000 as low as $0). however the calls are billed at a high rate.

I beleive this is a much cheaper and more reliable service than HF. Yes there are ongoing cost but so does HF and the advantages of 100% coverage is imperative to us.
AnswerID: 4600

Follow Up By: Nigel - Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00
Telstra are selling access to the Iridium system now too, and it has better coverage in the tropics that globalstar (30% more satellites I've been told).

The cost of any satphone is dearer than HF once the monthly fee is factored in for a few years. But if someone wants clear/reliable/private phone calls then they should consider a globalstar or iridium satphone. But I'll stick to my HF so I can chat as much as I like for $30/year no more to pay.
FollowupID: 2002

Sponsored Links