Camper trailer annexe poles

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 25, 2020 at 21:42
ThreadID: 140421 Views:7855 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Aluminium poles verse galvanised poles. Can any one give me some info on this. Currently have galvanised poles and looking to buy aluminium poles. Unsure whether they will be strong enough or not. Any help would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2020 at 22:11

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2020 at 22:11
Like everything, you can get different grades of poles based on your budget, so the more expensive ally poles are probably better than mid priced gal options.

There are many wall thicknesses, grades and tempers of aluminium too, so its a bit hard to say that aluminium will be better overall. Its probably safe to say they will be marginally lighter though.

One thing about bare aluminium, all the poles bundled together and rattling around will get a nice coating of grey dust over everything in the container and whoever handles them. That can be a bit of a pain.
AnswerID: 633111

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 06:56

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 06:56
Scott : presume you are trying to save weight ? As mentioned... obviously best option would be to buy top quality . Vertical poles won't be a problem in the short term but the horizontal ones could be ones that bend or break from holding up the weight under adverse conditions rain and wind . IMO in the long-term good quality steel are far more reliable ..
When we are doing a long trip & moving regularly we don't take the annexe all the poles saving weight and space.
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 633113

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 08:03

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 08:03
Hi Scott, I agree with Nick on this. Having had both a steel framed & an aluminium framed gazebo, the steel one is far stronger than the aluminium one. The aluminium one bent and then broke. The steel one has outlasted the aluminium one by a factor of three. The aluminium one was not cheap or light weight aluminium, however it still bent in moderately windy conditions.

Sometimes trying to save weight is false economy.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910036

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 21:57

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 21:57
P.S i guess it will also come down to what sort of annexe we are talking about ..
Like some of the large ones will be very heavy ..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 910064

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 09:54

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 09:54
Had aluminium poles in our Kimberley Kamper for 10 years without any issues with them at all, they would of rattled around in their box over many many klms of corrugated roads in that time frame. Work fine when beach or bush camping, haven’t damaged one in all those years.
AnswerID: 633118

Reply By: zanderslot - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 15:41

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 15:41
For the last 6 years we have had a Gordigear soft floor tent on my homebuilt trailer.
All aluminium poles and bows with "griplock" fasteners.
No screw in tees for me.
Beach, bush and bulldust, no problems.
A Lightning Ridge dry storm or a Straddie east coast low. No damage.
And no dust. Except bulldust. Can't keep that out.
Rod.
AnswerID: 633124

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Aug 27, 2020 at 08:05

Thursday, Aug 27, 2020 at 08:05
Aluminium poles are fine, better than gal I think because of significant weight saving. However be sure to buy anodised ones. My experience is with the ‘Supapeg ‘ brand. They will be more expensive, but have 2 important advantages over cheaper offerings. They will not make your hands black every time you handle them, and the twist lock mechanism will be more reliable. Built in longtitudinal ‘grooves’ increase strength I think. I had Gal poles for years , then cheaper aluminium poles & now the supapeg poles.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633133

Reply By: Dick K - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 18:48

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 18:48
DIY: Two, five foot lengths of PVC pipe that fit snug into each other. Drill one 1/4" hole 3" down [for bolt and wingnut] from the top through both pieces then take out the inner tube and drill holes every 2" for 2 foot in the inner tube. Drill a 1/4" hole in a end cap for the inner tube with 3" bolt and nut and heat shrink over the thread of the bolt then glue on cap. You can place a cap on the bottom for sand. Adjustable annexe pole that will last a life time. You may have to get electrical PVC to fit snug into Bunnings PVC. Choose diameter PVC to suit yourself.
AnswerID: 633499

Sponsored Links