Searching for Chatarie Gnamma and Stinking Well

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 12, 2020 at 20:06
ThreadID: 140502 Views:6858 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there people,

I'd thought I'd share a video of a recent trip to try and find Chatarie Gnamma and Stinking Well (Yilgarn, WA)

These are both old watering points, used in the goldrush days of the mid to late 1890's - As the new railway went north these old wells were no longer required and so became disused and forgotten. Unlike many old watering points, these two are not accessible via known tracks.

I have put both these locations in PLACES, so you can get the coords there if you want them.
These coords should really be provisional until I hear of others opinions (after they visit) :-)

Here is my track file from the turnoff on Bullfinch Evanston Road to Stinking Well.

I haven't supplied a track file for Chatarie as it doesn't matter which way you go, it's hard going!!

I hope you enjoy the video
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 16 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 09:30

Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 09:30
Great video Alan - thanks.

The drone footage certainly gives a different perspective of the country we travelled in. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the trip - oh and so did Mr Goodyear when I got back - lol.

While you say you're not certain about it being Chatarie Well / Gnamma hole, I reckon we were on the money and it is Chatarie. Why? Because of the large scatter of old tins and such from prospectors in the old days when they were going from one gold find to another. We didn't find any other such frequented sites in the area.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 633387

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 12:17

Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 12:17
Thanks for coming along Phil,

You're probably right, I'm just thinking there may have been something we missed - just over the next rise of course. :-)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910422

Reply By: Rod W6 - Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 11:42

Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 11:42
I can well commiserate with you in destroying tyres in that type of country, I've done a few hence for several years now I've had a quadbike and go out and set up camp and then go exploring on the quad. But on the first trip with the quad I scored six punctures. I quickly discovered run flat tyres (cost around $1200) and to date have never had a tyre issue.
The quad has saved untold damage to the troopy in not having to charge across country.

equinox don't you have a quad?

Regards
Rod
AnswerID: 633392

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 13:37

Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 13:37
I do have a quad Rod, however it has been dormant for a while.
As you say it is good for base camp type exploring but that has complications when others are involved who may not have a bike; point to point is good too however that means there has to be two drivers.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910424

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 17:40

Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 17:40
You're getting pretty damn sharp on the production skills there Al. Nice job and a nice trip by the look of it. You Lucky so and so's. Chairman Dan has us under lock and key for god knows how long now.

What have you got the Fair maid shod with? Are you running the Toyo Open Country these days?

Cheers and thanks for sharing.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633396

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 19:26

Sunday, Sep 13, 2020 at 19:26
Mick we have to get out when we can here, things can change quickly as you know!

After that trip the Fair Maid has now finished a set of Toyo Open Country MT's.
Something different though, a mate has just given me a second hand set of BFG MT's.

These will no doubt be tested out at Lake Hancock and Lake Blair next month - sacrificial lambs I would imagine.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910430

Sponsored Links