What is the best tablet to use for in car navigation?

Looking at running the APP on either a Samsung Galaxy A or iPad (cellular/wifi) 10'' tablet via RAM mounts on the dashboard. There is a big price difference between the Samsung and Ipad ($399 vs $849). Just looking for comparisons. Any help would be much appreciated..... Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:32

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:32
I think the performance of the Traveller app on both platforms is the same, so if you're starting out choice of devices makes no real difference. Disregarding $$$, choose it to match your phone or other devices, IMO.

The Galaxy A is a lower end model, you might like to look at the S series for better performance, but both will work. I have a Galaxy A as a backup (a gift from Telstra!)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633482

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:41

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:41
The best one is the one that you can afford and uses technology you are comfortable with.

For me that was apple because it works with my other devices and desktop.

Others have their own views. And they are entitled to them.

Personally I find an iPad a bit large for in-car use and prefer an iPad mini.

Good luck with it.
AnswerID: 633483

Reply By: Member - cruza25 - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:45

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:45
Just remember that when you purchase the app it is only for one platform. So if you have iPhones then get an iPad.

I use it on my iPhone and in vehicle use an iPad mini4 with a single RAM mount. A full size iPad may need the double suction ram as they are quite heavy or get the model that bolts to the seat mount frame.

Cheers
Mike
AnswerID: 633484

Reply By: GarryR - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:05

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:05
Judy and I use the Ipad with a seat mounted ram mount. We love it, but it is on the higher side of price. We actually use 2 Ipads, one running traveller and the other running Hema which she also uses for other purposes whilst travelling.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633485

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:16

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:16
Hi Craig,

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A since 2016 and could not wish for a better display for my OziExplorer and associated maps. It is very readable and serves also as my Internet browser when away from home. I can even use it as a phone or camera if needed.
Highly recommend it.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 633486

Follow Up By: George_M - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 14:26

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 14:26
+1
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910531

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 07:44

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 07:44
I have also been using a samsung galaxy tab for many years and it is just great. Also use Oziexplorer on it .
I have a homemade crude bracket that holds it in front of the nav screen and it stays there even on rough roads in my 200
FollowupID: 910540

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 19:59

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 19:59
Plus 2 on the Galaxy. I've been running them in the car and on the quad with great success. A good quality hard case is a wise option for whatever unit you buy.Mine is an Otterbox and it's great at protecting the tablet while in the car and or on the quad.

A word of caution; if you decide to expand your suite of navigation apps some will not support Apple due to the licensing and commercial obligations. Ozi is one of those (unless things have changed in the past year). I run Ozi on my Samsung. Highly recommend the Galaxy and it's a multi purpose platform for me running my go-pros, other cameras, drones and nav system.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910547

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 22:12

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 22:12
We also have the galaxy Tab A & has been fine with the traveller app so far
Got it on the telstra plan with phone for extra $ 25 p month contract .
Keep in mind they are narrower & longer than some of the others .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 910549

Follow Up By: Member - Bill D - Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:29

Saturday, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:29
We use OziExplorer and Avenza on a Galaxy Tab S2 on a RAM mount. The AMOLED screen is crystal clear - much better than our old Hema navigator.
FollowupID: 910589

Reply By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 13:25

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 13:25
hi Craig
I use 10inch iPad because I already had one. Have travelled many rough roads and the iPad has performed very well, as they are built well, but I cant compare it to the Samsung, and they may be just as good.
The point I want to make is that I would strongly recommend you get a 10inch unit as you can read it without having to put reading glasses on while driving. The iPad is heavy, so I use a double RAM mount without problems on corrugations.
Cheers, Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

AnswerID: 633488

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 13:59

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 13:59
Yes, concur the size. My Samsung is 9.7 inch. I wouldn't want anything smaller.

I did have an old 7.5 inch but it was too small for navigation, for me anyway. It is now exclusively an eReader.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910530

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 19:16

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 19:16
I use the 10 inch iPad on a ram mount as well and the size is great, I have stuck with iPad because it is compatible with my phone. I haven’t used a Galaxy but don’t doubt both will do the job for you
Regardless with which one you run with go for as big a screen as will fit in your allocated space, so much better for trip planning and easy navigation
FollowupID: 910533

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 14:29

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 14:29
Gday Craig. Been looking at this for a while. If you choose Android, I recommend looking at Andrzej's (My Next Tablet) reviews, pretty much the bees knees. He also reviews Ipads and other tablets, although not for mapping/location abilities.

Here's his review of the TAB A 10:
Galaxy Tab A 10 .
Another for his top 10 Android TABs in each price category:
2020 Top 10.

Alternatively if you want a Samsung TAB with the best display (SuperAMOLED - brighter, less reflection etc) you can get an S4 with S pen second hand for ~$500 from Ebay/Gumtree.

Don't forget your TAB should have GPS, or in Samsung's case mention both wifi and "LTE/4G/cellular" in the description. GPS-capable model numbers usually end in a 5 eg SM-T835.... for an S4, while wifi only models end in a 0.

Windscreen RAM mount and cradle will set you back ~$120.
AnswerID: 633489

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 18:46

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 18:46
Most Android devices seem to have GPS whether they're wifi only or 4G capable as well. GPS on an Apple product requires the LTE/4G capability. My Samsung tablet is wifi only and has excellent GPS.
FollowupID: 910532

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 22:12

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 22:12
Handy to know thanks Michael. I've been dismissing the wifi only versions out of hand.

Seems my Top 10 link didn't work. Hopefully this will: Top 10
FollowupID: 910538

Reply By: David I1 - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 14:48

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 14:48
I use a galaxy S5e Tab. with Oziexplorer. I have a 256g micro card and that has all the Hema maps plus all the Get Lost maps and a few others. It is mounted on the Windscreen with something similar to this:
https://www.gadgets4geeks.com.au/epages/shop.sf/?Locale=en_AU&ObjectPath=/Shops/gadgets4geeks/Products/CARH-175&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal&gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuGKrjcqbWKYRu4mQvH-id164llfTNcXjdBs-beI1IvMTBrC5Ge7DtRoCECwQAvD_BwE.
IMHO no need to pay mega bucks for the mounts. Mine has been going for over 10 years now.
My earlier Tab was also samsung and it was a lot heavier than the newer model. Tab doubles as phone and camera.
AnswerID: 633490

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 22:30

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 22:30
Thanks David.

Here's your URL hotlinked:
Universal Window Suction Cup Car Mount Holder for iPad & Tablet
FollowupID: 910539

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:20

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:20
Craig,

Been using an iPad with Hema 4WD Maps for 6-7 years, and it does what I need. Agree with others that the bigger sizes suit Nav work, especially on rougher tracks like the Canning & some of Beadell tracks.

Originally had a windscreen mount but last 2 years have used a seat mount type, not having a passenger, at the moment, helps.

The mapping, when logging one's track, seems to use Sh!tloads of power, and it's best to have USB outlets with >2.4A output. Don't know if Samsung Tabs have this problem?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633494

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:30

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:30
Yes they do, Bob.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910535

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:55

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:55
Thanks Frank.

Made a mistake in my reply above. Amperage of USB should be greater than 2.1A, preferably 2.4A. The lower amperage seems to work okay, but over a long day’s travel, the device’s battery usually bails up mid arvo. At 2.4 the device will power along all day.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910536

Follow Up By: Phil G - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:57

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 21:57
Yes, my Samsung 8" tablet also uses lots of power - best if its plugged into a permanently powered socket so it's always 100%.
FollowupID: 910537

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 14:21

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 14:21
I use a Lenovo 8" tablet wifi only, hotspotted to phone, runs EO Traveller no problems. Cavaets though:
- Very power hungry as for other devices commented in this thread,
- Jaycar high power 7.2 A/2.4 A per socket USB car charger is inadequate to keep it charged for a full day's (4-6 h) operation,
- Very slow to boot and load app (see solutions below),
- Hard to see if in full sunlight.
Pros/solutions:
- Inexpensive ~$120
- If you use a RAM floor mount you can get an angle to avoid the full sun,
- Can use a high power lithium power bank to top up the charge,
- Shutdown whenever you stop to conserve battery (but slow boot and load is an issue).
Other threads on this and other forums have discussed the Lenovo and some claim that power consumption can be kept up with, I'd like to know what they are using to charge the device, as this combined with the slow boot require more mental input into keeping the nav system operating hassle free than should be necessary.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910544

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 22:48

Monday, Sep 21, 2020 at 22:48
An important factor to research is how well you can see the screen in bright sunlight. This varies quite a lot from device to device. I'm not an Apple person but I must say the screens on the iphone and ipad are first class in this regard. Perhaps others on here can relay information about what Android devices are easy to read when sunlight and reflection are in play?
AnswerID: 633495

Follow Up By: David I1 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 09:02

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 09:02
Other thing to consider is sunlight on the tablet. Air Con keeps the car inside cool but suns rays still heat up the Tablet if there is no shade for it!
FollowupID: 910541

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:44

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 10:44
I've been using the Samsung Galaxy Tab A for 4 years now. I run ExploreOz, Hema and Garmin Earthmate. The latter is Bluetooth connected to my Inreach Mini. All these apps are offline versions. The smaller screen size is fine for navigation as the screen is sharp and bright. I use an anti glare screen protector to eliminate any glare from the sun or in-car lighting. It is mounted on a RAM floor mount and is located above the centre console. Both driver and passenger can do the navigating. It's permanently connected to a USB plug running off my aux battery.

As backup I have an older Nexus 9 with only the navigation apps installed.
FollowupID: 910542

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 11:08

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 11:08
When you chose a device keep in mind the following:

*software/operating system updates from Android OR Apple only apply for 2-3 years, and generally app stores (particularly Apple) force developers to not support devices on older operating systems so you will get at most 4-5 years from your tablet or iPad.

*the most important spec in your navigation device is processing power - so look at CPU speed and RAM. This will give you the best performance when asking the device to do a lot of complex tasks - which mapping/navigation is.

*we have developed ExplorOz Traveller as a cross-platform app which means the UI on all platforms is the same which means it doesn't matter which platform you choose - Android, Windows, Apple - the app program itself is the same.

*Android devices usually offer the use of expandable storage via SD cards - this is invaluable. With Apple devices they don't offer expandable storage via SD cards so you must consider buying sufficient internal storage eg. 16GB is not enough. You can buy up to 256GB but that is not necessary. All devices use about 1/4 of the stated storage just to run the device (operating system and bloatware). Consider photos and video files are very large these days - you must consider how to get them off your device for permanent storage and backup - Apple force you into their paid subscription cloud service so look at those costs. Android is not locked so you can easily save files and move to dropbox or hard drive for permanent storage. Apple ends up costing more but yes they are lovely devices. We have a mix of Apple and Android devices and cannot say which is "better". Each has its pros/cons.

They don't last forever so just go with what you think works for you and your budget for now.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633496

Follow Up By: David I1 - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 14:36

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 14:36
Sorry but I question the amount of SD card size you need. I guess if you just load up your state then yes you might get away with a smaller amount. I have downloaded (free) Get lost maps. They come in 2k resolution for Vic Qld and NSW, and 75K for all the others. As well as a variety of other maps. They have a lot of detail on them. Unsure if other maps use less space or have more or less detail on them. But from my small amount of investigation, the maps cost and so if you want free maps of all of Aus then you will need a large SD card to fit them all on.
FollowupID: 910545

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 15:16

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2020 at 15:16
David,
For the offline EOTopo map set for the whole of Australia at 144K scale you will need 4.3 GB for storage. That is pretty small in relative terms.

The smallest internal storage device is usually 16GB, but it is worth spending a little more and getting at least 32GB.

SD cards are a common cheap way of increasing your storage capacity. These days they are cheap. eg. A 32 GB SD card currently sells for around $11 - $13 (from JBHifi, Office works, Big etc). You can get larger SD card capable of storing 64GB (around $26), 128 GB for around $42 and 256GB for around $90.

For people travelling - you want to have enough storage to save both your maps and your photos. Keep in mind that photos these days are very large - most cameras in your tablet/phone will store photos at 16-24MB each. Take 100 photos a day and that quickly adds up. Take a video for 1 minute in HD resolution and you've blown 1GB. Take 10 videos of 1min and that's 10GB.

The whole of Australia EOTopo map files at 4GB is therefore not the largest storage issue you have to contend with - your photos/videos files are. Consider your usage to make the best decision about what you need.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910546

Follow Up By: David I1 - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2020 at 09:06

Wednesday, Sep 23, 2020 at 09:06
As I said Michelle it comes down to the detail in the maps you have. You quote 144K I have quoted 25K and 75K. Bbig difference in detail and magnification. Hence Get Lost uses a lot more memory. Maybe they are not efficient in use of memory, but as they are free, then I guess its the "price" you have to pay to get the storage you need.
FollowupID: 910552

Sponsored Links