Solar dramas!!!

Submitted: Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 16:59
ThreadID: 140589 Views:13464 Replies:17 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
So I have a 140a battery in king’s battery box with a 250w kings solar panel and 1500w pure sine inverter. I have charged the battery and plugged in a 225 litre fridge freezer and then got a failure notice (red light on inverter) and it turned off and it seemed the battery would no longer power it. It did run for about 6 hours but that was with full sunlight. So I then charged it all day again up to 12.6amp on battery and then turned the fridge on and immediately went to 11.9amp. I have just turned the fridge off and seeking help.
PLEASE????????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 18:46

Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 18:46
Check the amp draw on the back or side of fridge, and compare that to what you have in capacity, remembering fridges etc will spike when first starting, google is your friend.
AnswerID: 633635

Reply By: Gronk - Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:14

Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:14
Is it a caravan fridge or a household fridge ?
You charged all day to 12.6 VOLTS....that's not fully charged.
As said you need to find the current draw of the fridge.....but it sounds like it is too much for either the battery or inverter or both.....only running with the addition of solar.
AnswerID: 633636

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:39

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:39
The current draw of the fridge is erroneous as it isn't always running and unless the time of runs can be established along with the current draw in both 240v ac amp and 12v system amp flow not much can be decided.
FollowupID: 910708

Reply By: PeterInSa - Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:24

Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:24
Re The Frig, is it a 12v Compressor Fridge or a 240vac that you are running on the inverter. Brand/Model? To Me: 140Battery and 250 Solar Ok for a 3way Frig running on LPG. ( Similar to our Campervan set up but yours slightly bigger).
When our Battery is Fully charged it reads 13.3v
I only use a 150watt Inverter to charge the shaver battery everything else is 12v/LPG.

Large Inverters have a highish standing loss even when not in use so can flatten your battery, best to get an inverter that does the job..

If its a compressor Frig, I would be looking at a minimum of 2 batteries and a minimum of 500w of solar on the roof with adequate cabling to reduce losses and a more suitable inverter ( But then again we do not use a 240Vac Coffe machine or a 240Vac toaster or Microwave if needed would use the generator.)

Note I am not a solar expert but have put Solar on our Tandem Caravan and Long wheel Base High roof Sprinter Campervan years ago and both systems are still working successfully..

Suggest more research and $ needed.
AnswerID: 633637

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:27

Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:27
G'day Leigh,
Assuming you are running a 240v fridge that draws say 3 amps @ 240v it will draw 20x that out of your battery.
So thats 60amps per hour so 140ah battery is dead flat in a couple of hours.
Sorry but drawing that much power from your system it can never work.
There are many other factors to consider & I have simplified it somewhat so you can get a simple understanding of what is happening.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 633638

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:43

Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 19:43
Leigh
A charged battery will be 12.8 at rest. You don't charge it to 12.6 amps, that is a confusion of terms I think. A fridge will take at least 11 amps draw WHILE running. Starting load on battery is much higher, around 35amps. PLUS. Using a fridge on an inverter, linked to a battery is possible but an inefficient way to have a fridge. However, if it is the only possibility, then the battery capacity is far too small to run for long without inverter dropout at startup voltage when battery is down a bit. I use my 240v ac house fridge, about 400 L , on battery and 1000w psw inverter. It draws 11 amps while running, lots more on startup, but do have 200ah of battery attached AND 450 w of solar. It does the job but lesser sun days will deplete the batteries below 12v if not careful. I use two solar systems on it, one 240W running 40v to an MPPT charger to the 12v. The other is a so called 250 w panel running 18v to another MPPT charger and also charging same batteries. Overall your solar input is not enough and the battery capacity for over night use also needs an upgrade.
Using two panels of suitable size and in series, 40v with capable charger, gives earlier starting of charge early on and lasting longer while overcoming long lead input , my situation, to charger at batteries.
AnswerID: 633639

Reply By: Keith B2 - Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 22:43

Monday, Oct 05, 2020 at 22:43
I don't think that domestic fridges are as well insulated at fridges designed for RVs. I have a 210 litre 12 volt fridge freezer that averages 2.5-3 amps during normal weather. I think with yours running off an inverter I'd be surprised if it used less than 80 amp hours per day. Maybe boot it up on mains power then switch to battery once it's cold.
Your solar panel will probably give you about 60 amp hours a day at a guess. That's, at another guess, a 20 amp shortfall in full sun, which would drain your battery in six hours.
So maybe there is not enough grunt in the system - more battery power, more solar and perhaps a better (or smaller) fridge might be on the cards.
Solar4RVs has an excellent solar/battery calculator which will tell you where you stand for any location in Australia at any time of the year.
Solar calculator
Running your battery down will bugger it pretty quickly. And 12.6 volts is way off full charge. Maybe get it checked.
In the car I have 200 watts of solar on the roof running a 95 litre Evakool off a little 85AH battery, which is all that will fit under the bonnet. I still need to run the engine every couple of days if the sun is patchy.
Keith
AnswerID: 633641

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 08:19

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 08:19
G'day Leigh,
Just to explain the 20x rule a bit more but keeping it simple.
This calculation does not specifically relate to your 240v fridge but it should give you an idea why most people have issues running ANY 240v appliance thru an inverter. In addition to the following you get system losses that need to be allowed for.
SO lets say you have a 240v appliance that uses say 500w at 240v.

amp = watt / volt
Amp = 500/240
Amp = 2.08.

So looks like thats not much?
Now substitute 240v for 12v

amp = watt / volt
Amp = 500/12
Amp = 41.66 Ouch!

So your battery be totally flat with no solar in 3 hrs. This would quickly damage the battery as you should not discharge below 50%.
Also note the wire from 12v battery to inverter needs to be pretty heavy to carry these currents.
I see this situation over & over with friends that buy large inverters to run 240v power tools & wonder why their 12v battery goes flat in less than 1 hour.
Hope this simplified explanation helps.
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 633642

Follow Up By: Leigh R2 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 09:20

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 09:20
Hello,
First thank you all for the help, I clearly have it all wrong. I’m going to get a 3 way fridge today and get rid of the old power guzzler. So do you think that I may have ruined the battery??
I’m also going to add another solar panel to boost my juice!
Thanks again
FollowupID: 910698

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 09:08

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 09:08
To be honest, with that explanation, you should seek professional help from someone that can observe what is going on. It sounds impossible to diagnose from afar with your description. I think you are mixing up volts, amps, amp hours and watts.

I think it is ( not) working as you could reasonably expect though.
AnswerID: 633643

Reply By: Member - Racey - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 09:45

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 09:45
Leigh, Instead of spending $2000 on a new frig spend it on upgrading your solar and battery system. You won't be sorry.

Racey
AnswerID: 633644

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 10:36

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 10:36
Leigh,

How long have you owned the van sounds like you may have just purchased it?

If you have just purchased the unit was the inverter already their for the fridge,
if so ask the previuos owner how long the battery could supply the fridge?

Putting a three way in is not just a simple replacement, you'll need to have gas
connected to it and a seperate power circuit from the car to power it installed.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 633645

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:23

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:23
A caravan has not been mentioned as part of the issue. Not even hinted at. Just a fridge and some solar supply via an inverter.
FollowupID: 910699

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:56

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:56
It hasn't been stated its not in a van either, as this is a travel site I'm hazarding a guess.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910709

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:04

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:04
the minute i read the word kings, i knew your problem. The battery box is wired for a torch light. Even the inverter wiring is 6mm inside the box.
AnswerID: 633646

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:52

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 11:52
I,ll also bet the supposed 140 amp/hr battery is a lot closer to 110 amp hr battery.
AnswerID: 633647

Follow Up By: Leigh R2 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:09

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:09
I’m not sure I understand what you are getting at?! It’s 140a battery but you obviously know from where you are sitting. Keep your opinions out if you can’t help thanks!
FollowupID: 910700

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:28

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:28
It seems you know very little about solar and 12 volt systems. A quality agm battery weighs about 300gram for every amp (approx). A 120 amp Fullriver (quality battery) weighs about 36.5kg. A 115 Kings weighs 30kg. Kings 115 would be around the 100amp at best. AGM,s are simple lead acid batteries whereby the more lead the more amperage can be found..Weight is everything.

Now I cant find any weight figures for the kings 138 amp/hour battery. If it is a true 140 amperage battery then I would expect it to weigh at least 40kg. Wonder why they dont publish a weight spec for this battery.? The Ritar 140 amp agm weighs 44kg (another good quality battery).

Kings are rebranded cheap chinese products. Some good, some absolute crap. Heaps of batteries being advertised at figures no where near their real output. I,ve been in the 12 volt solar game for years so know a little about them!! Like most 12 volt products...you can buy quality and enjoy the experience or buy cheap and spend a lot of time frustrated and pissed off at replacing the items often.
FollowupID: 910701

Follow Up By: Leigh R2 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:33

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:33
Yes I know nothing really, never claimed I did! Hence the reason I’m asking for help.. So the battery is from Aussie Solar batteries in Nambour the rest is kings inverter and solar panel.
Thanks
FollowupID: 910702

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:44

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:44
Good move getting rid of the power guzzling fridge.. I would buy a good quality MPPT regulator. This will get the best from your solar panels. You wont need the inverter to run the fridge. It will draw more power by about 20% than if you run straight from your battery. An AGM battery is fully charged at around 12.7. You may see 13.2 after charging but this will quickly drop down to around 12.7 once an appliance is connected. I used Ritar and Fullriver batteries as an example as my last set of Fullrivers last 8 years and current set is 3 1/2 years old and test absolutely fine...I do look after my 12 volt set up though! 2 x 120 amp batteries would be ideal (assuming that lithium is a little too expensive for you?).. Cant have too much solar either! Keep reading the various forums (My Swag is another good one) and visit websites on the net. When asking questions try and be as clear as you can with what you want to achieve, money limitations, current set up and as much info as you can. Most people are only too happy to help...we all had to learn at some stage. ...Oh yes...definitely do not believe the advertising hype many sites have....Its easy to get sucked to thinking you have bought a Rolls Royce only to find they sold you a Leyland.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 910703

Follow Up By: Leigh R2 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:05

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:05
Ok Thanks for your help! I just had battery tested at 12.4 amp, smdoes that sound ok to you??
Thanks
FollowupID: 910704

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:13

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:13
12.4 on a freshly fully charged battery is not good. 12.4 is around 75% charged. You really never want to let your battery get below 12.1-12.2v (approx 50% discharged). AGM batteries should not be taken past 50% of their rated output. You can take them lower but the big issue is that the voltage also gets too low for appliances to work properly and the cycle rate drops. Most 12 volt fridges prefer voltage in the mid to high end of 12 volts. A lot depends on how much you want to spend on a good, reliable system that doesn't require too much maintenance and keeps your fridge working and your lights on whenever you need them.
FollowupID: 910706

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:29

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:29
Leigh
What are you reading to get a 12.4 something reading?
You keep mentioning the battery to be tested at 12.4 amp. That is impossible, You surely mean 12.4 volts which is the voltage "pressure" of a battery at that time of measurement and while the battery isn't delivering. The amps measurement, if and when read via an AMP METER, is a current flow and in dependent on the voltage of the battery and the resistance of the appliance. Bigfish is totally correct in saying the battery you have and believe to be 140AMP HOUR capacity may be closer to 110 Amp Hour Capacity because of marketing claims not being true. Weigh it as he suggests, If not around 40kg or more then it isn't a 140AH battery.
FollowupID: 910707

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:39

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 12:39
G'day Leigh,
If you have not left your battery flat for long it will likely be ok.
Just a few things to consider before you buy a 3way fridge.

Running on 12v they draw at least 10 amp so best only to run on 12v when powered from the alternator. When you stop for the night then switch to gas. No need to switch to gas for morning tea or lunch stops though.

Other option is compresser fridge Engel, Waeco, Evakool etc. These use much less power but of course you don't have the gas option if you camp in one spot for a while so will have to ensure your Solar is up to the job.

So which is best? Depends on your style of camping. For me its 12v compressor fridge with small Solar panel for top up because we move camp frequently & the alternator takes care of my 2 off 120ah batteries.
If you plot in one spot for a while maybe 3 way using gas is a good option then if you have days of cloud cover you can still keep things cold.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 633648

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:10

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:10
One thing I forgot to mention.
3 way fridges do struggle in very hot weather as they generate heat during operation & as such can't keep the internal fridge temps down as well as a compresser fridge.
So lots to think about. No BEST system just one that is up to the job spec wise & suits your budget & style of camping.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 910705

Follow Up By: George_M - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 15:40

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 15:40
In my experience of 3 way fridges they work best on gas rather than 12V.

But in any case they must be set up close to perfectly level - I used a "bullseye" level stuck on the top and in the middle of the lid.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 910710

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 16:23

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 16:23
Totally agree.
12 or 240 just tides them over until you can run them on gas again.
I had 3 way & compressor fridge onsite at our camping property.
Only ran 3 way on gas but when it stopped working I replaced it with compressor fridge because it really struggled in hot weather despite running on gas.
FollowupID: 910711

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:24

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:24
Leigh R2 I have only been using agm batteries for only around 5yrs, through my research and as others have explaind the heavier the battery the better the quality. I have an aussie battery and their weight is lower than what it should be for their size so your not getting what you pay for. Lot's of these companies have also been reducing the batteries weight over time and sometimes increasing their ah capacity so if you do the reasearch you'll find that doesn't add up and to put it bluntly we are getting ripped off.

The same thing is happening with solar panels if you find a genuine reputable company and compare for eg their 200w solar panel dimesions to other brands who mark the same size panel up to 250w or larger just to get sales. I bought a 170w panel 5yrs ago the same company now markets it as a 200w so hopefuly techknowledgy has improved to justify that if not buyer be ware.

You said your getting rid of the power hungry fridge is it a 240v house fridge or a proper 12v compressr upright fridge and how old is it ? I was wondering why you run it through an inverter because that will use little bit more power, a true upright 12v compressor fridge doesn't need one, would be a lot more efficent on battery power, is designed to run while your driving and keep items cooler and constantly more stable than a 3way fridge can as well.

You will also find a 3way fridge is very power hungry and won't last more than a couple of hours on a battery.

AnswerID: 633650

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:36

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 13:36
Silly decision to get a 3 way fridge if not intending to run it on gas. 12 of it is JUST for Emergency or car running with appropriate wiring, another minefield there too. A 3 way running on it's 240v heater element will also use more than the fridge you already have. Far better to firstly learn about what you need than to knee jerk buy another item which won't necessarily suit your purpose .

perhaps you should outline exactly what you have and the components capacities, sizes current draw, etc, and state what you want to achieve, is it for camping or home use, static. on the move, in a vehicle etc.
Only after we know what your intentions are can anyone here, be able to give accurate solutions. Don't go and buy something else which if you don't understand about either, it will see you waste money and still not have what you require.

Your last line in post says " turned the fridge on and immediately went to 11.9amps" THAT HAS TO BE VOLTS! You must learn the difference between these basic factors to understand about what you are dealing with.
AnswerID: 633651

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 15:07

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 15:07
Hi Leigh,

You seem to be in deep trouble.
I note that you said "the battery is from Aussie Solar batteries in Nambour". I am a skilled electrician and live near Nambour. If you would like me to visit you and provide assistance then contact me via email on "allanb.qld@gmail.com" and provide your phone number.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 633652

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 16:48

Tuesday, Oct 06, 2020 at 16:48
Bloody good offer there Leigh. Little bit of time spent with someone who knows what is what is better than many hours of research on the net..
FollowupID: 910712

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 12:53

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 12:53
Well Bigfish, 17 others have also thought it a good offer but apparently not so Leigh. My email inbox remains silent.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 910716

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 13:11

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 13:11
Patience grasshopper......
FollowupID: 910717

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 13:19

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 13:19
Forever it is not that doors remain open.....
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 910718

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 17:25

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 17:25
Allan, I thought you had to be a member to post on here, but no Leigh R2 is on the membership list?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910721

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 17:49

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 17:49
No, John, it's a public board, which makes Allan's offer all the more generous, IMO.

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910722

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 18:07

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 18:07
Membership provides extra benefits John, but as Frank says, anyone can post on the Forum after registering.
This "EOz" is an exceptional website.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 910723

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 18:52

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 18:52
"Forever it is not that doors remain open ..."

That's very good Yoda.

Generous offer too. I think you could help the OP out tremendously given your obvious experience in electronics.

FollowupID: 910726

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 19:55

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 19:55
Can us non members send PMs?
FollowupID: 910727

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 20:24

Wednesday, Oct 07, 2020 at 20:24
....Nup.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 910729

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 08:29

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 08:29
Moved on has Leigh I believe.
May The Force be with him.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 910735

Follow Up By: Leigh R2 - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 11:26

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 11:26
Hello,
Just got back into service!! That is a wonderful offer although I actually live on the Gold Coast. Im going to check out some solar providers down here.
Steering way clear of those idiots at kings who told me that I’d be fine to do what I was doing.
FYI I LEFT THAT F-EN fridge face down on the dirt on my property.
I’m going to use it as a letterbox!!!
Thanks again all!!
FollowupID: 910738

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 16:31

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 16:31
Leigh
Quite a number of people use sufficient solar, AGM or Lithium batteries and run a fridge in their vans purely from 240AC v provided by a sine wave inverter. To throw your fridge away isn't showing much research and possible usage. Some state the inverter uses power, yes it does , but not much and in the scale of charging and use it is negligible. A cheap small 240v fridge to do the job means less $$$$$$'s spent and some of the saving can be used to pay for a bit more battery and a bit more solar. As Racey stated, put the money towards battery and solar and still end up less cost. Now where is that good fridge you threw away?
FollowupID: 910743

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 09:05

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 09:05
Hi Leigh R2,

Let me first say that I am not an Auto Elec. or an expert in all things 12 volt, nor do I have any affiliation with any company or business. There are others (like Allan B) who are expert in these things.

There has been some very good advice offered in some of the responses, and some not quite as good.

From my research and experience, for any 12 volt system that requires “long” low to medium current draw (AmpHr) usage like 12 volt compressor fridges, (as opposed to very high current draw appliances), Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) batteries are far more efficient than an AGM or other Lead Acid deep cycle batteries, (an AGM is one type of Lead Acid Deep Cycle battery).

As others have stated, a 3 way or absorption type fridge is not very efficient, especially on 12 volts. Even the newer “tropical” models will struggle in hot humid conditions, even when running on LPG. A 12 volt compressor fridge will draw far less power than an absorption fridge when running on 12 volts. Another disadvantage of an absorption fridge is that you will most like need two x 8.5 kg LPG bottles to keep your fridge going, particularly if you have gas hot water or gas heating as well. This means weight on the draw bar. If you only need gas for cooking, you could possibly get away with two x 4.5 kg LPG bottles, saving weight. As others have stated, running a 240 volt compressor fridge on 12 volts through an inverter is also an inefficient use of power, as the inverter itself will also draw power from your batteries.

Compressor fridges even though they are more efficient, have their drawbacks. They need an adequate battery capacity & charging capacity to be self sufficient. This is where LiFePo4 batteries with the appropriate solar capacity & charging system shine. For the average say 200 Ltr caravan fridge, 200 AmpHr of LiFePo4 battery capacity, along with 400 watts of solar with the appropriate DC to DC Charger should see you able to stay “off grid” for several days without much difficulty providing you have enough sunlight during the day. Of course, if you are using other “power hungry” appliances in conjunction with the fridge, this will have an effect of the ability to stay off grid for longer. One advantage of LiFePo4 batteries is that they will charge must faster, with the appropriate charger, than an AGM battery. They will also continue to deliver in excess of 12.5 Volts, down to about 15 to 20% State of Charge (SOC) without affecting their longevity, compared to about 60% SOC for an AGM.

Hope this has been of some benefit.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633669

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 12:02

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 12:02
Macca, as a side note to your post, a couple of years ago in Broome, so reasonably hot, was running a 40lt Engel with a Two Zone on top as a freezer, using 2 x 110amp/hr LiFePo4 batteries. 5 days after having some electrical work done, fridge not running, mmmmmmm, check why and find a breaker had been tripped, I can only presume by electricians 5 days previous. Reset breaker and all good, batteries start to charge again. I reckon 5 days running an Engel as a freezer from the LiFePo4 batteries is a bloody good effort.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 910739

Sponsored Links