Do you make extra plans for your trips.

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 15:48
ThreadID: 140608 Views:6861 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
When planning our outback trips, the first thing I check out is the long range weather forecast, and things a few months again we’re looking great for early October.

Planning and research was looking good until out of the blue the new long range La Nina weather forecast has caught everyone out last weekend and everyone was say will the weatherman get it right?

Outback South Australia has had the best rainfall in years last weekend and then to top things off, the northern pastoral areas were drenched again yesterday, causing many people out and stranded.

We were meant to be heading off again tomorrow on some more remote South Australian tracks, but for the first time in many years, every dirt road north of Port Augusta is closed.

Now all we need a month of fine weather to dry the tracks up and the country should look unreal with wildflowers.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 16:16

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 16:16
Stephen
Not sure what you looked at but a while back the LaNina was forecast, I think it is the fact no one believes such things, it is called the Tim Flannery Effect I am told. He must be enjoying his close to the sea home 4 metres underwater at purchase time. That is what he said, now rain in the centre, strewth!
AnswerID: 633672

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 16:49

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 16:49
Two months ago, the long range forcast was warm and no rain in sight.

Last weekend they were predicting heavy rain and for the first time, the weatherman got it right.

The final straw was the very heavy rain yesterday and most dry areas are now covered in water.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910745

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 17:45

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 17:45
We have friends from Brisbane who drove to Adelaide (via Birdsville) for a wedding.
They need to return to Brisbane without going via NSW (otherwise they need to isolate for 2 weeks) and it looks like via Alice and the Plenty (which is still open) or otherwise Mt Isa adding a couple of thousand km.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 633676

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 18:04

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 18:04
It sure will be Peter.

As you know, it’s going to be some time before they are open and one thing I am not a fan of, is that Birdsville Track mud
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910746

Reply By: Rob A2 - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 18:57

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 18:57
This weather event has been on the cards for at least three months according to the BOM modelling so is no surprise at all. If you are in SA and listen to the 891 Garden Show once a month the BOM senior analyst talks about the next 3-6 months. Darren Rae has been on the money all year with these systems. Albeit until they were formally confirmed just forecasts, but with >85% probability

The added bonus for regional and outback SA will be an excellent wildflower season which will help with cashflow for a lot of our regional business operators. Along with boosting the survivability of the environments where even the gums have been suffering badly over the last few years.

We're looking forward to getting out to Witchelina again once the roads open and get out into the sand dune country around the Lake where the wildflowers should be spectacular

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633677

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 19:58

Thursday, Oct 08, 2020 at 19:58
Hi Rob

Yes we live in SA. When planning, the long range was going to be fine but then last week they predicted that rain band through that pastoral area, and for once the weatherman got it right.

Providing the area does nor get another drenching, it will take around a month and as one of my friends said today who live up in Roxby, the country will be covered in Poached Egg Daisies.

The only thing that will put an end to another try will be the heat....that country can be well into the 40’s, but we are keeping our fingers crossed
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 910748

Sponsored Links