Gulf Trip in August- GPS tracks

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 23, 2004 at 21:28
ThreadID: 14070 Views:2975 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for GPS track files from Lawn Hill, Bowthorn Station,Kingfisher Camp then to Roper River and any diversions to the coast ie Tully Inlet.
Nothing in "Plot Swap" covering the Gulf Track so theres an opening for someone?

Any info would be appreciated.
Bob L
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Firey - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:51

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 00:51
Hi Bob
We travelled the Gulf Track this time last year.2 vehicles 80 series L'Cruiser/ct &
100 series/double boat trailer. We spent a month travelling from Karumba to Roper River. We found Hema map "The Top End Western Gulf" to be more than adequate.Lawn Hill - Bowthorn Station easy run with both trailers. A must do is a
stop at Bowthorn Station, Kerry McGiness made us most welcome providing morning tea and signing her books which are a great insight to her life "Pieces of Blue" Track to Kingfisher across Bowthorn Station was ok with a few creek crossings. King fisher is a good spot to stay a couple of nights to re-charge the "old " batteries. Nice camping ground "Green Grass & Hot Showers" fishing
is good if you have a boat, river is quite picturesque. Track to Wollogorang was
corrugated down to about 50-60klm/hr comfortable.Station track out to Tully &
massacre inlets is not maintained a bit rough slow drive ok with two trailers.
Tip 1 don't buy fuel at Wollogorang Stn it was a lot cheaper at Hells Gate R.H
if you are travelling that way.
Tip 2 we were charged $50.00/vehicle rubbish deposite at Wollogorang Stn
refundable on exit interestingly nobody wanted to see our rubbish !!!
Track to Roper River was very corrugated to about 40 klms out of Borroloola
which is maintained for the locals.Fishing great at Borroloola locals are helpfull
worth a trip out to Bing Bong especially the fishing,good fishing around West Is.
Quite rough through to Roper River but no problems taking it easy.No Alcohol at
Roper River G.S limited supplies fuel avail;able.nice camp ground a lot of history
a good read "Leichhardt's journal overland expedition in Australia 1844-45"
available from Westprint.
The Gulf track is almost the exact route, another good source of info is "Explore Wild Australia with the Bush Tucker Man" ABC shops.
The is how we found the Gulf Track last year, we all Know things change but
the one thing that stood out after talking to people along the way and seeing those that had trouble is "Take your Time - Drive To The Conditions" and even though there are signs at either end of the track we did see several caravans doing the track and at one creek crossing we noticed that he had a lot of trouble clearing the bank dragging the caravans arse up the bank. One has to ask "Why are the signs there in the first place" To ignore, silly me ???
Hope this is a help to you and anyone else who happens to read it.
My best advice "GO and ENJOY" take your time don't punish yourself or your vehicle.
If you wish any further info or photos drop us your E-mail.
More than happy to help.
Cheers
Barry.
AnswerID: 64783

Follow Up By: Member - Bob-h(QLD) - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 19:28

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 19:28
I travelled to Tully Inlet through Wollogorang about the same time last year (23 June)- wonderful experience, fun drive (with care at washouts, creek crossings, narrow bits) Magic camping on the beach under the casuarinas. Our rubbish inspection consisted of "if you've got any rubbish, throw it into the trailer over there". I think the idea of the bond firstly makes people actually bring their rubbish back, but because it's a sizeable dollar amount, everybody checks in back at the roadhouse to collect their dollars. That way the owners know who has or has not returned. Would go again, especially if the fish were actually biting!
Bob
FollowupID: 325926

Follow Up By: Member - Bob L - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 22:21

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 22:21
Barry, Thanks for your informative reply, Ive kept a copy for my Trip file.
We are travelling by ourselves and only have a month. No fixed schedule but if we use up too much time getting to Borroloola we can cut out from there and save the rest for another time.
Several questions.
Purchased Kerry's books and hope to get the opportunity to meet her. Did you make prior arrangements or just call in ?

How did you go for tyres (Punctures). Getting a new set tomorrow as present tyres less than 50% and will be usefull as spares.

Tully Inlet - Planning land based fishing from the beach on the basis that it would be safer than the rivers Croc wise. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks
Bob L rglaw@bigpond.com
FollowupID: 325965

Follow Up By: Member - Bob L - Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 22:38

Thursday, Jun 24, 2004 at 22:38
Thanks Bob
Its a pity some people need an incentive to do the right thing.

Plan to take it easy this trip with 1 big day from Wagga to somewhere between Broken Hill and Tibooburra then we can slow down and check out the small towns and scenery on the way.
Nice and casual out to Tully Inlet. Ive asked Barry but whats your view on land based fishing off the beach at Tully?
Cheers
Bob L
FollowupID: 325967

Follow Up By: Member - Bob-h(QLD) - Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:18

Friday, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:18
Bob
From my memory, there was a considerable tidal variation over the beach, but reasonable access at higher tide. Not that I recall anyone in our 3 vehicle group catching anything much! There are lots of good spots along the inlet which give you good access, a little elevated so that you're not really that vulnerable. These are mainly closer to the beach itself. Further into the inlet you would definitely need a boat.
I've sent you a member message.
Bob_h
FollowupID: 325998

Reply By: Firey - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 01:09

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 01:09
Bob
Q1, no you don't have to book ahead the track goes right past her front door and there is a small sign out front welcoming people for morning tea I guess it all depends if she is home. We had a great chat and morning tea with Kerry she was as much interested in our city lifestyle as we were with her life.
Q2, Tyres - both vehicles/trailers were running New BFG's AT both trailers were about same weight 1400kgs as mentioned before we had the luxury of time and found the tyres were great.
Q3, We stayed at Massacre Inlet,Tully is the nicer of the two but you do have to watch the tides accessing the camp area quite soft sand. Fishing is quiet from the bank much better from a boat, we didn't fish Tully, the Gulf is quite shallow for some distance off shore but we found fishing the incoming tide around any gutters you can find from the shore the best ,nothing to boast about though.
We found the sand flies to be horrendous at massacre the limited camp sites were
full when we first arrived and we camped closer to the water in the sand probably not the smartest idea but we had no choice,the best spot is up on a small rocky
high bank easy to find when you get there hopefully it won't be taken if you decide
to camp at massacre.
The drive across the station is quite good passing a couple of billabongs with plenty of bird life "The feathered kind" !!
Hope this helps, have a great trip.
Barry.
AnswerID: 65178

Follow Up By: Member - Bob L - Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 19:25

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004 at 19:25
Thanks Barry, Fitted new BFG yesterday and kept old cases (50%) for spares. Tvan also BFG so 6 on the road with 2 spare wheels and tossing up regarding taking additional case on roof racks.
If we overnight at Adels Grove our timing should be just right. Will be a bit disappointed if Tully is too crowded but we'll take whatever comes. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity for bush camping along the way.

Many thanks for your information
Bob L
FollowupID: 326220

Sponsored Links