Maps freezing

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 12:37
ThreadID: 140705 Views:6634 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Gday good folks.

Wondering if the collective can shed some light on trouble I’m having with EOTopo.

I’m running it on a Samsung Android tablet and initially all worked as advertised.
However, last two trips out, I’ve found the position/tracking on the map continually freezes position.
If I go back to the home page, then return to the map it picks up where I actually am and straight lines the snail trail from where it froze.

Has anyone else experienced this and can shed some light on why it’s happening?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 16:26

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 16:26
It can happen if you are not using the latest version of EOTopo software/Release/Version.
Go to Playstore, try downloading again
Somewhere on your device you can look to see what Version you are running
I found that helped a similar problem I had
Mark
AnswerID: 633963

Reply By: TrevorDavid - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 16:52

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 16:52
Hi Daryl,

I few things spring to mind, but Im no tech guru.

Are you using Exploroz Traveller or using EO Topo with another app?

How long since you have done a complete reboot of your tablet?

Helps to close the app from time to time.(Traveller)

Disable the treks filter if you have it enabled.(Travellar)

How many other apps did you have running in the back ground at the same time?

Is the memory on your tablet nearly full?

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633966

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 17:10

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 17:10
I have had this happen very occasionally on a Lenovo tablet. In my instance this has been after a stop, with the ignition off, the tablet has gone to sleep and when it's woken up the position is frozen. This is not really an issue for me anymore as the Lenovo charging is so poor that I have to turn it off everytime the ignition is off or the nett charging is less than the discharge (and yes it is plugged into a 2.1 A usb socket).
I've also had odd occurrences similar to this when the phone signal drops and the app reverts to off line maps. I connect via a phone hotspot so perhaps this complicates the issue . Will also happen if the GPS lock gets turned off inadvertently, but as far a I remember the snail trail in this instance remains contiguous. There are so many permutations when using any device-app combination that it is sometimes too difficult/not worth the grief to tie down a sequence unless it becomes such an intractable issue that an on-the-fly solution or workaround can't be devised. In my case the app is kept up-to-date unless we are travelling remotely without an internet connection an there's an update.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

AnswerID: 633967

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 17:26

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 17:26
Interesting Warren

Have you tried a 3.1 amp usb. Reckon a 2.1 amp is tad small with a tablet working.

I assume you now set the app to stay awake.

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911074

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 20:20

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 20:20
Hi Trevor, Afaik the highest individual output for usb 2 is 2.1 A, unless the device is one of the quick charge devices? I've actually got the Jaycar high power usb 4x outlets, 2x2.1 A + 2x1 A, total 6.2 A. I wonder if that output is achieved, as when I connect a power bank it seems to increase the charge rate?
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 911077

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 21:02

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 21:02
Both Jaycar & RTM sell 2.4A USB outlets. They certainly make a difference to power hungry tablets/iPads.

I recently bought a couple of USB outlets from China. Both have twin 2.4A outlets, but it was a long wait!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911078

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 21:44

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 21:44
They are available Warren, sorry, cant remember where i got mine.

As Bob has suggested even a 2.4a might help a bit

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911079

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 08:15

Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 08:15
Thanks Guys, will have a more forensic look at the Jaycar catalogue, maybe download the pdf copy. Online searches can sometimes be a problem if you don't crack the exact keyword, some are better with cross referencing than others. Otherwise the long wait for supply from China.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 911080

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:42

Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:42
Checking the device I have the Jaycar 7.2A 4 PORT USB CAR CIGARETTE LIGHTER ADAPTOR
MP3686 Current Output 2.4A (Each Port Max), 1.8A (Across all Ports), 7.2A (Total)
The quickcharge adaptors descriptions in the catalogue state they default to 2.4A max if not a quickcharge device.
I will check what settings I have enabled as per Michelle's post. I certainly have the stay awake feature enabled. My assumption always has been that it was an issue with the cheap device.

NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 911084

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 21:12

Sunday, Nov 01, 2020 at 21:12
Have not used EOTopo with tracking, Daryl, but have similar occurrences with Hema 4WD maps on an old iPad. The unit can go to sleep, and if you don’t notice immediately, you start getting straight tracks.

You need 2.4A USB outlets for charging, cancel any time out settings, switch on flight mode & reduce brightness to some degree. And of course, one has to turn on tracking as one leaves last night camp sites! A number of my tracks often have a gap, after leaving camp.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633968

Reply By: Member - Daryl C1 - Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 07:43

Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 07:43
Thanks folks.

I think the charging issues raised will be the fault then.

Thinking about it, one of the differences between last two trips and previous was having a passenger along that was charging a phone off same outlet and it seemed to switch between what device, the tablet or phone, it would charge, not both at once. The dropping in and out of charging may be what’s upsetting the apple cart.

Cheers
AnswerID: 633970

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:00

Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:00
Hi there, I can offer you a few things to look at:

1. Go to your device Settings and check for a Battery Saving feature that might be turning off your GPS when the app is in the background, or gone to sleep.

2. Do you have the Map Screen Settings in the app using the "Stay Awake" feature? This option will override your normal device sleep function to ensure the map screen is always active if that's what you want. It only does this on the map screen and only when you have gone into the app Settings and turned on this feature.

3. I actually suspect this is what is happening - If you let your app run in the background and then wake it up, the map screen may take up to a minute to fully wake up - it takes a while and you have to be patient but if you watch carefully, the "straight line" snail trail will actually start to correct itself (catch up) with the stored positions it has been collecting whilst in the background. At first the map will appear drawing a fast straight line - but this will then begin to redraw itself as it compiles all the data it was storing whilst asleep. If this is the case - just be patient and let it "catch up". This is deliberate and allows the app to conserve battery power when in background.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633973

Follow Up By: Member - Daryl C1 - Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:10

Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:10
EOTraveller/EOTopo is the only thing running on the tablet and is always on, never allowed to sleep.

It seems to happen most often when the vehicle has been stationary, then I move off. I come to the next track intersection or geographical feature and look at the map and my position hasn’t moved. Hit the home button at the top, then return to the map and the snail trail straight lines to current position and stays like that.
Other times I will be driving looking for a turn or feature and not realise the map has frozen and I go past thinking I’m not there yet, stop and do the above procedure to find I’ve missed my turn or feature.

I’m using the app with GPS only, as there is never any mobile service in the areas I’m poking around in, Vic high country and surrounds mostly.

Cheers
FollowupID: 911083

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:55

Monday, Nov 02, 2020 at 13:55
HI Daryl,

It sounds like your device is running out of RAM or you have a setting in the device which is switching off your GPS (eg. a security/anti-virus app or something similar), or the Battery Saving feature in the Android operating system is turning off the GPS - all these things can and do happen to people out of the blue so please carefully check your device for these sorts of issues.

With RAM - this issue could occur if you aren't regularly closing your apps (ie. overnight) and then giving the app a chance to reboot (clears out cache and refreshes RAM) when you launch it the next day.
So check that you are not just mistakenly pushing the app to the background instead of correctly closing the app.

(ie. using the back button to shut down the app only disables it and pushes it to the background but doesn't' actually close it. ). The exact method to close an Android app varies from device to device and is dependent on the version of the Android operating system you have - up until Android 10, you would tap the left softkey and then press Close all apps, or just select one app to close by swiping it away.

I'm also interested to know which version of the Android operating system is running on your device? In our experience the really strange issues like this that don't make much sense, only seem to occur on devices that are running very old versions of the operating system, ie. be aware that once Android stops supporting a version, you no longer get the bug fixes and security updates and that can mean all manner of things can upset your system and makes it impossible for us to know how to troubleshoot. Can you get an update for the Android operating system on this device?
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911085

Sponsored Links